HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:10 PM
United States, MI, Hudsonville
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
Mini-Review
Super Sport 2.35

SuperSport 2.35

I purchased a Super Sport 2.35 ARF from Esprit Models around Christmas and finally had the time to finish it. Kit comes as an ARF model and can be set up either as pure or electric, I chose the latter. The build was pretty straightforward and other than some analysis paralysis on my part, it would have been a fairly quick build. I did have a few questions during the build and Esprit Models was more than helpful in answering my questions.

I built it with the smaller of the two recommended motor set-ups using the Hacker A30 12L and the Jeti Advance Pro 40 as well as the 12-6 prop. I did however end up using a 3200 mAh Li-Po as I needed some additional nose weight.

I bought this hoping to get me out of my venerable OLY IIS and Kestrel 2M. I have also been flying my Ruby 2M with a glass fuse and carbon wings but found it difficult for me to fly well and needed something in between and with out having to set up a high-start or go winching with the boys on the weekends.

I finally launched the Super Sport this weekend at the sod farm (highly recommended if you can get access). It took off and quickly climbed out, wanting to go near vertical but a little down elevator and it was all good. While I wanted a plane to fly "slowly or gently", the super sport has a fair amount of speed but I felt very, very, comfortable flying it and seems to be a great step up from my floaters. I was able to comfortably fly it slow enough to thermal and I while I didn't catch any great lift I was able to loiter around for quite a while without losing any altitude. I was able to get 6-7 good climbs out of it before the battery dropped to a point that a charge was needed.

I think I'm going to really like this plane, I think it's going to suit my needs perfectly and I would recommend it to anyone. I've only put one battery pack through it but hopefully this week I can get a few through and report back.
Swasimoto is offline Find More Posts by Swasimoto
Last edited by Swasimoto; Sep 28, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
SuperSport 2.35 Update

Opportunities to fly have been few and far between but yesterday was beautiful and I took advantage of the weather. I've been tuning and tweaking the SuperSport slowly and now it's flying like dream.

My first climb out, I was immediately greeted by a local hawk coming out of the woods to check me out, convinced I was harmless he quickly left. With the CG moved back to 78mm, the plane really seemed to groove very nicely. I was able to get 5-6 climb outs to 500' -600' on the 3200 mah battery. While the thermal activity was spotty, flights of ten minutes plus were very easy with a little camber dialed in and the hawks came back out a few times to guide us. Thermal turns were pretty flat and relaxing and after a while I was passing the radio around. Everyone who has tried it has been very pleased with it. I've flown allot of different planes (Oly, Oly II, Ruby 2M, Sealy Pulsar......poorly at times) but for my casual flying style this plane can not be beat.

This plane is truly fun to fly and I would heartily recommend it to anyone, I absolutely love it!!!!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,673 Posts
I like your stand, what is it made of?

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 29, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
Thanks ZB. The stand was originaly for a 1 meter sailboat. It was a folding table like the soccer/portable chairs. I took off the cloth/ tabletop and replaced it with two loose straps. It's sprung with bungee to hold full open but I just tied a short piece of line to adjust strap tension. It also works great with the plane in the vertical position, leading edge down.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 05:07 AM
Joined Apr 2013
32 Posts
I crashed my super sport 2.35 and one wing is smashed. I absolutely loved the way it flies. Even at altitude of 1100m it was great But now I have some ideas. Because the fuselage and elevator are the same as albatros I thought I buy the 2.75m albatros/enigma wings. I am planning to attatch FPV gear also, because I want to go higher than 1100m and get some beautiful footage. Can anyone compare albatros 2.75 and super sport 2.35? Flight characteristics etc. I am using turnigy glider drive 960 motor (basically the same as mvvs 960) and 12x6.5 prop. Or should I use more powerful motor when changing to 2.75m wings?
Klots is offline Find More Posts by Klots
Old Oct 12, 2014, 04:50 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
Maiden today

Hello flew sport today with cg at 75 landed and move to bout 90-100 something much better in dive still pull up! But over all flys great, I have a prelude also this sailplane is a lot larger.I'm running 675 watts vertical 5-6 seconds get about 300 feet 2600mah 55c Hitec hs 125mg wing 85mg tail.
fastchop is online now Find More Posts by fastchop
Old Oct 13, 2014, 03:44 AM
Joined Apr 2013
32 Posts
Few videos too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DgK...xsoY6E6k1UKMpQ

No FPV gear was used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx6_...xsoY6E6k1UKMpQ

That crash was my own fault (did not make a preflight check to control horns).
Klots is offline Find More Posts by Klots