HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined Aug 2004
93 Posts
Discussion
Where to get good prop adapters?

So after purchasing my first outrunner from hobby king, I noticed a bit of vibration, and it looked to be coming from the prop adapter.

I didn't really think that that could be the case, but low and behold, during a flight the motor just cut out. I think the bearing went.

I wont find out cause the plane got stuck in a tree, but, how do you deal with bad prop adapters?

Can you get good stuff from hobby king?

Any help would be appreciated, as I live outside the states.

Thanks!
sylentbob3 is offline Find More Posts by sylentbob3
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,068 Posts
Luck of the draw I suppose.
Every 'included with the motor' prop adapter from HK has proven true.
One bought separately was just a Mess.
Still have a Graupner adapter that is laughably eccentric .
It's not always country of origin that matters.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
517 Posts
Are you sure it's the adapter and not the prop? You should be able to see if the adapter is off while it's running. Just a thought.
stemo99 is offline Find More Posts by stemo99
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
I think you're jumping to conclusions. Get your plane out of the tree and inspect it for the facts.

That said, sometimes it's difficult to tighten down the prop adapter. Use a wrench and if needed put a pair of pliers on the back side and squeeze to be certain nothing unseen is not rolling on you.

If you find your plane with no prop and no adapter, it probably wasn't tight. Something is telling me this isn't your problem.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Aug 2004
93 Posts
I hear what your saying about getting it out of the tree - wish i could!

What I did see though was that when I spun up the engine, there was a slight bit of wobble in the prop adapter.

It's good to know though that you can get good adapters from hk, I was trying to figure out what to do.

Although if you do do a goodle search though, seems there are a bunch of people with this problem.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Nov 2009
224 Posts
Valuable lesson learned:
You did your pre-flight (good). You found an issue before you flew (good). You ignored the issue and flew it anyway (bad).
wmetcalf is offline Find More Posts by wmetcalf
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
That wobble that you were seeing is either a bent prop adapter or a bent motor shaft. This is a common issue after experiencing a crash. Easy to fix, easy to ignore.

When ordering prop adapters, get a dozen. And add prop shafts(motor shafts) to your order as well. Get a dozen and learn how to change them.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:02 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentbob3 View Post
Although if you do do a goodle search though, seems there are a bunch of people with this problem.
True in All things :-)
The few(?) who have an issue seem to out talk those who have had no problems at all.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:09 AM
Joined Aug 2004
93 Posts
Thanks for all your help, you guys helped me clear up some things.