HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Nov 2013
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Hi Bill,

If you're careful then you can do it without taking the top cover off. Suggest do a couple of practice runs if you're not feeling confident. Best to do it on a spare XT60 or just join two pieces of 14 or 12g wires. I'd use some flux or file off the oxide coating.(or use emery paper).

Use solder on the soldering iron and let it run to wires. Make sure both wires ( or metal part of the XT60 connector) are fairly hot. Soldering should be done in 10 - 15 sec provided soldering iron and wires are nicely warm.

As to temperature setting, you do not want it too hot or too cold. Temperature should be high enough to melt the solder in 2-3 sec.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thanks for the useful info & video link.

So even if you use solder that has flux in it - it is useful to use some separate flux as well? I have got a flux pen would that work?

As the XT60 socket on the old Phantom charger has a broken lead as well I can practice on that. I have done a few solders/unsolders. And pulling hard on them I can see that if they break it will be the wires not the solder joint which I guess is good. Though the join itself does not look anything like as clean on the ones shown on videos. But not that much worse than the original DJI one!

Still to practice using heat shrink tubing. Will try with the heat from the iron first.
Will still be more fiddly doing the actual socket on the Phantom itself. Although if I do decide to crack open the case will give me an opportunity to give the Phantom its yearly MOT as it were! And also an excuse to do a better join on my aux power cable for my gimbal. I was amazed when my earlier solder attempt actually worked! But prior to the earth lead finally giving way on the Phantom my Aeroxcraft has been recalibrating itself as if it is briefly losing power to it.
Not sure if its the earth connection issue, my aux lead connection now giving way or the jst plug/socket.

cheers

bill
flycatchers is offline Find More Posts by flycatchers
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleflex View Post
Ouch! Sorry to see that. It's never easy seeing details on the screen when flying FPV..
so - what can you recover? is it a complete write off?
Hey, same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. She fell into a clear water creek like the one on your video. I rescued it, separated the shells when I got home and let it dry out naturally for a few days and she flies like new.
My poor Mobius Action camera didn't fair so well, I ordered a new one.
CCbusa05 is online now Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Nov 2013
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman View Post
Hi Bill,

Any crimped or soldered connection can break. Have you pulled the pins out of the jst housing and inspected the connection?
Hi Dave,
I managed to remove the pins from the male & female connectors today. And to my eyes look fine and the wires crimped into them are intact. And yet when you connected up to the battery with the Phantom & gimbal powered up if you wiggle the connection to the the gimbal, it reboots itself. And for the first time today if you really wiggle the connections the leds on the gimbal board briefly go out as well. So it must be a bad connection but just cannot pin it fully down and cure it so far!
flycatchers is offline Find More Posts by flycatchers
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatchers View Post
Hi Dave,
I managed to remove the pins from the male & female connectors today. And to my eyes look fine and the wires crimped into them are intact. And yet when you connected up to the battery with the Phantom & gimbal powered up if you wiggle the connection to the the gimbal, it reboots itself. And for the first time today if you really wiggle the connections the leds on the gimbal board briefly go out as well. So it must be a bad connection but just cannot pin it fully down and cure it so far!
Seems like if it is resetting itself, it must be shorting out then robooting.
Very strange..
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy View Post
In my case, I speak from a lot of research and everyday experience and actual use.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Otherwise you could be asking a third party to take unnecessary risks" ..

What risks are you referring to ?

Russ
Hi Russ,

a. risk of damaging the lipo
b. risk of shortening the life of a lipo and finally
c. risk of a runaway reaction i.e. fire

Filmscum already had a fire when charging a lipo.

I'm sure you know too that you just cannot make a blanket recommendation without knowing the brand of charger or lipo, C rating, capacity etc etc.
IMO, Play safe - it's not worth the risk.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatchers View Post
Thanks for the useful info & video link.

So even if you use solder that has flux in it - it is useful to use some separate flux as well? I have got a flux pen would that work?

As the XT60 socket on the old Phantom charger has a broken lead as well I can practice on that. I have done a few solders/unsolders. And pulling hard on them I can see that if they break it will be the wires not the solder joint which I guess is good. Though the join itself does not look anything like as clean on the ones shown on videos. But not that much worse than the original DJI one!

Still to practice using heat shrink tubing. Will try with the heat from the iron first.
Will still be more fiddly doing the actual socket on the Phantom itself. Although if I do decide to crack open the case will give me an opportunity to give the Phantom its yearly MOT as it were! And also an excuse to do a better join on my aux power cable for my gimbal. I was amazed when my earlier solder attempt actually worked! But prior to the earth lead finally giving way on the Phantom my Aeroxcraft has been recalibrating itself as if it is briefly losing power to it.
Not sure if its the earth connection issue, my aux lead connection now giving way or the jst plug/socket.

cheers

bill
Hi Bill,
Flux in a soldering wire is only a small amount and is never enough. Best to use some extra flux. But remember to keep the wire clean and remove any grey dry solders with a small file or sandpaper.
Trust me, the more you practice the better you get at soldering.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jul 2013
182 Posts
DJI Phantom Flying

I am thinking of buying a Phantom v1.1.1 , I am a bit confused about the the " DJI Phantom Flying 2.4 GHz ISM 7 Channel UAV RC Quadcopter " from Tmart . I this the same unit as the v1.1.1 ? To me it looks the same ,specs. and all .
Cheers
Geraus is offline Find More Posts by Geraus
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Here is a "LiPo Care Page" from the MaxAmps website .. MaxAmps is a very reliable U.S. Company which makes top notch battery packs, although pricey, and sells top notch chargers, as they don't want to deal with warranty battery claims due to sub-standard chargers.

There is no problem what-so-ever of charging packs at 1C .. C being the designated Current discharge rate of the pack .. i.e. 2,000 MaH = 2 Amps, 5,000 MaH = 5 amps, etc. Charging these two examples at 1C would therefor mean charging at 2 Amps and 5 Amps respectively. There is also no problem with charging at 2C .. meaning in this case 4 Amps and 10 Amps respectively, as long as the battery manufacturer is in agreement. MaxAmps claims many of their packs can be charged as high as 20C .. I think that is insanity !! Here is the link .. it's good reading ..

http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php

Russ
Current Dude:

Here, above, is my original post on the LiPo charging subject ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Hi Russ,

a. risk of damaging the lipo
c. risk of a runaway reaction i.e. fire

Filmscum already had a fire when charging a lipo.

I'm sure you know too that you just cannot make a blanket recommendation without knowing the brand of charger or lipo, C rating, capacity etc etc.
IMO, Play safe - it's not worth the risk.

Cheers
You are not telling me what it is that "is a blanket recommendation" that may cause ..

"a. risk of damaging the lipo
c. risk of a runaway reaction i.e. fire"

The closest thing I can see is that I said that could cause the above risks is .. "There is also no problem with charging at 2C" .. I also included .. "as long as the battery manufacturer is in agreement".

Is this what you are referring to, or is it something else ??

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
United States, WY, Cody
Joined Mar 2006
302 Posts
Quote:
Current Dude:

Here, above, is my original post on the LiPo charging subject ..

You are not telling me what it is that "is a blanket recommendation" that may cause ..

"a. risk of damaging the lipo
c. risk of a runaway reaction i.e. fire"

The closest thing I can see is that I said that could cause the above risks is .. "There is also no problem with charging at 2C" .. I also included .. "as long as the battery manufacturer is in agreement".

Is this what you are referring to, or is it something else ??

Russ
Can of worms. Sorry guys. All I know is I never charge over 1c. Never Ever. Could have been my charger or a batt that suddenly went haywire despite being balanced and never pushed beyond limits.

I just wanted to warn anyone who walked away from a charging LIPO in their house to not do that. I did it 1 too many times. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the whole charging thing which is a bit daunting.

In the eternal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along"??
Filmscum is offline Find More Posts by Filmscum
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmscum View Post
Can of worms. Sorry guys. All I know is I never charge over 1c. Never Ever. Could have been my charger or a batt that suddenly went haywire despite being balanced and never pushed beyond limits.

I just wanted to warn anyone who walked away from a charging LIPO in their house to not do that. I did it 1 too many times. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the whole charging thing which is a bit daunting.

In the eternal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along"??
Hey, Film:

I think I recollect you were using a Turnigy charger ??

If that is incorrect, please let me know ..

Also, what brand battery pack lit up on you ??

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:15 AM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
759 Posts
hear we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...se-drones.html

why do they always show a Phantom, I've got 5 other MCs and they look nothing like a Phantom!!

different makes of lipos..............
with the standard camera mount and my hoyrzon HD camera on board I can get 10 minutes flying time with the Phantom lipo.
I bought 2 Zippy 2200mAH 25c lipos and only get 8 minutes.
now I've just got 2 more, Turnigy 2200 mAH 20-30c and with them I'm now also getting 10 minutes flying time????????????????.
zippy not so good?????
ray
teccer1234 is offline Find More Posts by teccer1234
Last edited by teccer1234; Today at 09:18 AM.
Old Today, 04:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Hey, Film:

I think I recollect you were using a Turnigy charger ??

If that is incorrect, please let me know ..

Also, what brand battery pack lit up on you ??

Russ
Hi Russ,

Please I'd like to move on but will be reading your posts from time to time.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,792 Posts
hear we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/..._campaign=1490

why do they always show a Phantom, I've got 5 other MCs and they look nothing like a Phantom!!

That's okay Teccer from what I understand not only is it illegal to fly a MC in Yosemite National Park but as you enter there is specifically a sign showing a DJI Phantom with the cross across it meaning "no Phantoms" allowed here.
Unfortunately whether we like it or not the DJI Phantom is the most widely recognized UAV MC out there.
I have people stopping me in parks and the like saying "hey that's one of those Phantoms" ,and these are people that are not in the sport.
That also means that we are spokesmen for DJI and for MC's all together every time we fly ours in public.
I filmed an outdoor event last weekend with mine and I had people coming up to me all day long curious about it. And dogs too, the event was called a Mutt Strut and there were over 100 dogs there. You know the fascination that dogs have with flying objects.
It was challenging to keep the craft away from kids, adults and dogs.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr