SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
Discussion
umx sbach removable wing mod?

hi all i have one of the origonal e-flight umx sbach's and i love it. i would like to use it as a travel plane to take with me on trips and would like to try and make the wing removable so i can fit the plane and tx in a hard case. do you think it is possible to do?

my first thoughts are to use a piece of carbon fiber in the front and some magnets in the back.
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
As designed, the wing is a structural part of the plane..When glued in place the entire plane becomes more rigid...With a well thought out plan you could reenforce the plane...

Also, due to the G's this plane is capable of I would feel better about bolting the wing in place...In the front of the wing you could use dowels and some thin sheet plastic to make some recepticles for the dowels...At the rear of the wing you could use a small nylon 10-32 screw to hold the wing on...This plane is capable of some wild manuevers, both in positive and negative G's!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The wing and fuselage by themselves are very weak.

It would take major re-engineering. The best thing to do would be start with new foam.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:57 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
is the rx and servos mounted to the wing or are they attached to the fuse? i think it could be a fun little project and it would make a great travel plane.i will have to look at it and see what i can come up with.

on a side note what does it take to get the original one to spin? i cant seam to do flat spins with mine even with the rudder at max throw
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotccapt View Post
is the rx and servos mounted to the wing or are they attached to the fuse? i think it could be a fun little project and it would make a great travel plane.i will have to look at it and see what i can come up with.

on a side note what does it take to get the original one to spin? i cant seam to do flat spins with mine even with the rudder at max throw
Aileron servos are mounted to the wings...Flat spins!!!???...When spinning add down elevator to get the spin to flatten out...And reduce power...It also helps if your CG is pretty far back...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Are they shipping from the CA or IL warehouse?
BumpierDrake960 is offline Find More Posts by BumpierDrake960
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
so i looked at the plane today and i think it would not be too difficult to mod it. from the looks of the plane i will have a rod at the TE to hold it in. for the front i will be using a single nylon 10-32 bolt. the only thing is i will have to re-tape the canopy every time i brake down the plane because i will have to unplug the ailerons from the board. to strengthen the fuse section where the wing mounts i will add either some carbon fiber strips or some 1/64 light ply to the fuse. this should strengthen this part of the plane.

what do you guys thing? do you think it is worthwhile?