They are centered on my aircraft must be different on the beast 3D to the V1
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
As AP noted - all UMX Beasts come with symmetrical ailerons. The original Beast uses SPMAS2000L (non-differential) aileron servos. The Beast 3D uses SPMSA2030L AS3X-duty (non-differential) aileron servos. The SPMSA2030LO is the 70/30 offset servo that's used for differential ailerons on the Carbon Cub & MiG. Aileron differential is not desirable on purpose-built aerobatic planes because it only works when the plane is upright. It increases adverse yaw during vertical maneuvers & dramatically increases it during inverted maneuvers.

BTW - the original Beast also needed plenty of rudder in turns if you wanted them to look at all realistic. At least all four of mine did. AS3X doesn't get in the way during proper turns at all. It simply encourages you to develop proper flying technique in the first place by making improper turns look even worse than they normally do. You don't want to fall into the bank & yank trap & get into that old rut. Using rudder to coordinate your turns is considered to be an essential intermediate pilot skill. Learn it as soon as possible - before the bank & yank habit sets in.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:12 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,903 Posts
Yep, my mistake guys. Sorry about that. Should have taken them out of the box and took a second look. Got it mixed up with the Mig. Another old age brain phart..

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:05 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Yep, my mistake guys. Sorry about that. Should have taken them out of the box and took a second look. Got it mixed up with the Mig. Another old age brain phart..

Gord
No problem. I also get those every so often. Seemingly, more often as time goes by...

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
Huskee
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Was there ever a consensus on the best battery aside from the EFlight pack? I'm going to make a batch buy specific for the Beast, and I know there's been some talk of Turnigys.
Huskee is offline Find More Posts by Huskee
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskee View Post
Was there ever a consensus on the best battery aside from the EFlight pack? I'm going to make a batch buy specific for the Beast, and I know there's been some talk of Turnigys.
Absolutely! BabbelBatt's custom made Hyperions are the best performance/weight ratio. Then there are stock Hyperions, made with the proper UMX connectors now. Then there are Minivations, but I think those are over in the UK? And HobbyKing offerings are pretty good... the Nano-techs are decent and now come with UMX connectors, but only in the 180mAh size. Absolute, dead last in price/performance are the E-flight batteries.

If you really want some bang for your buck, get some 3S batteries for this Beast, as long as it's the AS3X version. Some run 3S without modification, some need more airflow and some need heatsinks on the ESC's FETs. But I think only one has smoked.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Huskee,

I agree with Erkq. If you want the best performance you can get - just shoot RCBabbel a PM & order his super-light Hyperion packs. His Hyp 180 pack is the best for indoors, 3D, and flying close-in. The extra thrust-to-weight & speed of his Hyp 240 pack is great for pattern & IMAC-style flying. If you want to save a few bucks & don't mind an extra gram or two of pack weight - go with the factory Hyperion 180 and/or 240 UMX packs.

Another big plus with the Hyps is the 300+ cycle lifespan @ 5c charge.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post

Gord
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
No problem. I also get those every so often. Seemingly, more often as time goes by...

Joel
For the two of you:
Senior Moments by Golf Brooks - Call 352-391-0626 For Bookings & CD Sales! (3 min 22 sec)

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Absolutely! BabbelBatt's custom made Hyperions are the best performance/weight ratio. Then there are stock Hyperions, made with the proper UMX connectors now. Then there are Minivations, but I think those are over in the UK? And HobbyKing offerings are pretty good... the Nano-techs are decent and now come with UMX connectors, but only in the 180mAh size. Absolute, dead last in price/performance are the E-flight batteries.

If you really want some bang for your buck, get some 3S batteries for this Beast, as long as it's the AS3X version. Some run 3S without modification, some need more airflow and some need heatsinks on the ESC's FETs. But I think only one has smoked.
well actually there are Nano-techs 180mah, 260mah and 300mah available.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1775728
I use the 260 with stock motor and prop and my beast although old it flies beautifully and does all the 3D stuff I ask it to do.
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
well actually there are Nano-techs 180mah, 260mah and 300mah available.
Thank you! I have the worst time with HK's Battery Heaven.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:43 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
I noticed coming out of a big loop (I reduced throttle) the 2500kv motor seemed to over rev could this damage the motor ?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:55 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Over rev? No, but I have no idea what characteristic you are trying to describe? Do you just mean lots of windmilling under little to no power?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:10 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Yes but it seems to do this exesivley
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:17 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
It's fine, don't worry, it has no prop braking in default.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:45 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Thanks