HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2009, 07:03 AM
No0b but future prodigy
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
159 Posts
Question
Shaft Driven or Belt Driven 4WD?

I just wanted to know your thoughts. I've stuck to shaft driven forever and just acquired myself a HB Cyclone that's belt driven 4WD. I've noticed most people that run in modified class use belt driven.

Are there particular pro's and con's associated with either or is one better than the other?

thanks.
deathstar is offline Find More Posts by deathstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:12 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
Pro & Cons for both and both will depend on who you asked.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:15 AM
Joined Feb 2005
246 Posts
It isn't going to matter, just get the one you like best. There are many differences, most insignificant. The only real difference I could ever feel while driving them was that a shaft drive always felt more forgiving near the limit than a belt drive, but that could have just been a difference in the two cars. My shaft drive car (TL-01) would slowly start to slide and could slide in complete control around a corner. My belt drive car (XXX-S) would be fine and suddenly loose traction and snap around. I never really put much thought into the reason until this thread, but maybe the belt stretches a little bit and once the tires slip all of the stored energy is released in the form of tire spin? I don't really know, but that was my experience with the two and comparing a TL-01 to a XXX-S is apples and oranges although I was just as competitive with the Tamiya as I was with the Losi.
Silver Streak is offline Find More Posts by Silver Streak
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:51 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Pro & Cons for both and both will depend on who you asked.
well said.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:21 PM
No0b but future prodigy
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
It isn't going to matter, just get the one you like best. There are many differences, most insignificant. The only real difference I could ever feel while driving them was that a shaft drive always felt more forgiving near the limit than a belt drive, but that could have just been a difference in the two cars.
Y' know... I was thinking the same this.

I'm guessing belt drive cars are good for high speed tracks with plenty of straights, whereas shaft driven are preferred for tracks with plenty of twisties.

My brother has a five year old TL-01 and that has great turning control on the track (haven't taken it off road though). I'm finding the Cyclone to spin out a lot when I hit the brake or release the throttle and make a turn (brushed stock). I guess I just need to feather the throttle a bit.
deathstar is offline Find More Posts by deathstar
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:38 AM
rcdatabase.org supporter
Joined Oct 2009
60 Posts
roomy? shaft
off road? belt need protection from dirt.
looks? I prefer shaft LOL
Papa-Jay is offline Find More Posts by Papa-Jay