Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Discussion
Phantom spotted at a rodeo

First time I see one in action. What are your thoughts on aerial filming at sporting events?
RCBernDog is offline Find More Posts by RCBernDog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:00 PM
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2014
59 Posts
It was probably flying back to China for a firmware update.
CCW Chris is online now Find More Posts by CCW Chris
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:03 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBernDog View Post
First time I see one in action. What are your thoughts on aerial filming at sporting events?
great!!! completely new perspective and participants/spectators love it!
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:09 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Furikake View Post
great!!! completely new perspective and participants/spectators love it!
Yea the spectators enjoyed it but they kept calling it a drone haha
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:45 PM
United States, NY, Saratoga
Joined Apr 2013
329 Posts
They're definitely popping up a lot at sporting events now...

The US Polo Association had some big match on NBC a few weeks ago (pre-recorded) that used footage from a Phantom-mounted GoPro. It was actually some really cool footage, the operator did a good job. Had some great crowd and parade shots, but better yet were the 3rd person views of horses driving (or whatever the proper polo term is) towards the goal and scoring.

As long as people can operate in a safe and responsible manner and avoid any serious accidents, I can't see how it'll do anything but good for the hobby. But as soon as one "flies away" and hits a bystander the townspeople will be flocking with pitchforks and torches...
mjru is offline Find More Posts by mjru
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:48 PM
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Oct 2009
627 Posts
Dumb!!! Hope that guy has insurance for when he scares the live stock and they hurt someone or worse. If the Rodeo gave him permission then they a just a dumb!
cowboycctx is online now Find More Posts by cowboycctx
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:25 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycctx View Post
Dumb!!! Hope that guy has insurance for when he scares the live stock and they hurt someone or worse. If the Rodeo gave him permission then they a just a dumb!
The Phantom looks to be high enough not to spook the livestock. Even then- lots of things can spook livestock- a person with a camera can spook an animal. As long as the pilot understands and respects how animals behave, then there shouldn't be any issues.
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:36 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
558 Posts
Quote:
Oh yes this is so dangerous. Everything gets scarred and dies automatically when a drone flies by.
Made in Austria is offline Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
Oh yes this is so dangerous. Everything gets scarred and dies automatically when a drone flies by.
Yeah!!! They cause cancer and famine too!!!
Ronan87 is offline Find More Posts by Ronan87
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:48 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjru View Post
They're definitely popping up a lot at sporting events now...

The US Polo Association had some big match on NBC a few weeks ago (pre-recorded) that used footage from a Phantom-mounted GoPro. It was actually some really cool footage, the operator did a good job. Had some great crowd and parade shots, but better yet were the 3rd person views of horses driving (or whatever the proper polo term is) towards the goal and scoring.

As long as people can operate in a safe and responsible manner and avoid any serious accidents, I can't see how it'll do anything but good for the hobby. But as soon as one "flies away" and hits a bystander the townspeople will be flocking with pitchforks and torches...
Overall it definitely might improve the viewers experience but should be interesting to see what's next for the the hobby
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:50 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Yea it looked like he was hired to film the event
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:50 PM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
216 Posts
Wrong camera for the distance.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:13 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,031 Posts
I did a shoot on a small farm last year and even at 50' the horse I was shooting went from being totally calm to running around and jumping. The noise clearly affected the horse. I hope the pilot was not flying directly over the people.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
I did a shoot on a small farm last year and even at 50' the horse I was shooting went from being totally calm to running around and jumping. The noise clearly affected the horse. I hope the pilot was not flying directly over the people.
The surroundings (music, announcers, etc) were loud so you couldn't hear it but he never flew over the stands
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:31 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,961 Posts
Places like that, if managed properly, have very good crowd control (You do NOT want random people getting mixed with bulls in case one of them gets spooked), so you have people concentrated in some areas and deserted in others. There're plenty of places to get a good vantage without getting on top of people or anything dangerous.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member