HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:55 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Got home from hurricane Sandy late last night after spending a week in CT to find my Package. Thanks, Kevon!

First tested a 20mm with a Flyzone 7mm and the 3 blade prop. Results were a little weird. Max thrust was 6.7g, but what sounded like idling @ 1/2 throttle made over 5g of thrust. Motor was dead cold throughout the test, so more load won't hurl.

The difference in sound between half throttle and full throttle is double, but thrust was less than 1.5g more.

I then tested a 22mm housing with the same motor, but with a cutdown GWS fan. It had the same 5g @ 1/2 throttle, but made over 8.5g @ full throttle. Swapped on the BIM 4 Blade & it made nearly 9g in the same set up, and 6g @ 1/2 throttle.

The Extra 2mm of Diameter seems totally worth it for 1S. Weight is about .5g more for the 22mm/4blade fan combo over the 20mm/3 blade for over 2g more thrust. The GWS fan is about 2X the weight of a BIM 4 blade (for about the same thrust in the 22mm)

So the power system of a 20" WS A380 would weigh 18g and make close to 36g of thrust @ WOT and 24g @ Cruise.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
UNGN,

Thnks for all the numbers. That is exciting for sure. I hope to duplicate the numbers and anything better would be sweet. Brushed is lighter and seems to be a great way to go. Maybe 2s on an 8.4mm motor would acheive more, but at added weight for the extra cell. I hope to get some parts soon and do some similar testing. Thanks again!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:22 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,437 Posts
Awesome numbers UNGN! That's the valuable data we need. I can't wait to see the converted DF380.
I guess I might need to develop either a higher pitched bigger blade rotor or a higher blade count rotor.

I haven't placed the order yet, so if anyone wants to change rotors to the 4-blade, let me know. I will not redesign the rotor to the 20mm though. I would just trim it down from 22mm.

I know there has already been nearly a week of delay, but the figures provided by UNGN (thank you) are well enough reason for just another day of final decision. I'll swap any rotors out for anyone.

Thanks,
Kev aka bimRC
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:29 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,724 Posts
6.7 is not bad considering the only other comparable is the Airhogs, but that was much bigger and only made 11 or so. if the motor is cool, more pitch would help. at anyrate, prefect ducts are great.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I haven't placed the order yet, so if anyone wants to change rotors to the 4-blade, let me know. I will not redesign the rotor to the 20mm though. I would just trim it down from 22mm.
I will order some more parts from you in the coming weeks. The cut down 4 blade in the 20mm housing might make 1.5g more thrust in the 20mm housing than the 3 blade.

I'll need to try that.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
6.7 is not bad considering the only other comparable is the Airhogs, but that was much bigger and only made 11 or so. if the motor is cool, more pitch would help. at anyrate, prefect ducts are great.
6.7g isn't bad for a tiny ducted fan, but its making 5g just idling @ 50% throttle, so there is more thrust in there somewhere.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:01 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,437 Posts
Sorry for the late update guys. I'll hopefully have them by the 21st. Sandy caused a slight backlog though.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:01 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
UNGN reported:
BIM 22mm with GWS rotor, 7mm flyzone motor, 8.5g thrust.
BIM 22 mm with BIM 4 blade rotor, 7mm flyzone motor, 9g thrust.

So lacking a good source of 7mm motors, I found one in the Airhoggs 30mm, 2 blade EDF that came in the JetScream and FoxFire jets. After removal of the motor can from the shroud, I made a test stand and measured thrust using same 7mm motor, 1 cell, and the AH 29mm 2 blade prop. Interesting that my results were:
No shroud, 29mm prop from AH fan, 8.0g thrust, and using a 100mah, 20c lip, 3.9v under load, 0.6A measured, 2.34 watts.

So not knowing how hot a wind this 7mm motor is, my test was pulling less than UNGN's using the BIM 22mm fan with 4 blades. So I am guessing 8g or more is doing great, and that BIM 22mm fan is using the 7mm motor to about the same loading as an Airhogg 30mm EDF would load it. My motor was cool to the touch, so if the BIM unit did load the motor further it might shorten the life and reliability of the setup, but to what degree I am uncertain.

I am awaiting parts from Kev as we speak but in the mean time I have no BIM rotors to work with.

Question Does anyone know a source of 7mm motors for a decent price, prefer Stateside vendors. EDIT THE EDIT I had originally stated Bob did not respond to my email, but I stand corrected, my mistake as to the spam filter, Sorry Bob. . Bob Selman has $7 motors on his website, and they are the Walkera Brand. I had emailed Bob, but MY SPAM FILTER mis-directed Bob's very nice response. I will post these specs (from Bob) on these motors in a post # 87 below. Bob did concour that the lower the ohm rating (low resistance) the hotter and better for our application it is. Thanks so much for your response Bob!

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Bob Selman Website and response from Bob
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
UNGN reported:
BIM 22mm with GWS rotor, 7mm flyzone motor, 8.5g thrust.
BIM 22 mm with BIM 4 blade rotor, 7mm flyzone motor, 9g thrust.

So lacking a good source of 7mm motors, I found one in the Airhoggs 30mm, 2 blade EDF that came in the JetScream and FoxFire jets. After removal of the motor can from the shroud, I made a test stand and measured thrust using same 7mm motor, 1 cell, and the AH 29mm 2 blade prop. Interesting that my results were:
No shroud, 29mm prop from AH fan, 8.0g thrust, and using a 100mah, 20c lip, 3.9v under load, 0.6A measured, 2.34 watts.

So not knowing how hot a wind this 7mm motor is, my test was pulling less than UNGN's using the BIM 22mm fan with 4 blades. So I am guessing 8g or more is doing great, and that BIM 22mm fan is using the 7mm motor to about the same loading as an Airhogg 30mm EDF would load it. My motor was cool to the touch, so if the BIM unit did load the motor further it might shorten the life and reliability of the setup, but to what degree I am uncertain.

I am awaiting parts from Kev as we speak but in the mean time I have no BIM rotors to work with.

Question Does anyone know a source of 7mm motors for a decent price, prefer Stateside vendors. Bob Selman has $7 motors but no specs are given and I got no response from an email. I also believe the lower the ohm rating (low resistance) the hotter and better for our application it is. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

Fred
The Flyzone 12.9K Albatros/DR1/N11/SE5a motors are great little 7mm's for about $3.

Tower Hobbies has them and offers "free shipping on $20" offers all the time.

Member Price at Wholesale trains is $3.19 and they don't have a pinion to pull off (plastic pinion included)

WT also has the Motor for Flyzone Micro EP Planes, Hobbico FLZA6102 (HCAA6307) motor for $2.69 member price, which is the P/N I always order for the albatros... the picture shows a brass pinion, but I always get them with a plastic pinion.

The more expensive newer motors may plug into the flyzone brick.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:10 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Flyzone 12.9K Albatros/DR1/N11/SE5a motors are great little 7mm's for about $3.

Tower Hobbies has them and offers "free shipping on $20" offers all the time.

Member Price at Wholesale trains is $3.19 and they don't have a pinion to pull off (plastic pinion included)

WT also has the Motor for Flyzone Micro EP Planes, Hobbico FLZA6102 (HCAA6307) motor for $2.69 member price, which is the P/N I always order for the albatros... the picture shows a brass pinion, but I always get them with a plastic pinion.

The more expensive newer motors may plug into the flyzone brick.
OK, and thank you. I checked Tower and ordered the "multi 6 pack" of Flyzone motors for like 90 cent discount mostly because I want several motors. I didn't have a current cup on code for $20 off on the free shipping but it amounted to a whopping dollar per motor and I can live with that! A lot cheaper and lighter than the 8.4mm motors.

I know someone posted Airhog 30mm fans as 12g of thrust, but those are the heavier units in the free flight planes that have a 10mm flat sided motor (N10 I think). I will weigh up one of those shortly because they really scoot but really need 6 volts. They would be killer on 3S as a twin, hooked up in series (1 1/2 lipo equivalent).

Working on an idea I had for sometime. "I'll be back".

Fred
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,724 Posts
anyone take a multimeter to the flyzone motor? what are the ohms measured from + and -?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:22 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
anyone take a multimeter to the flyzone motor? what are the ohms measured from + and -?
1.8 Ohm - 1.6 Ohm
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:28 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,724 Posts
nice to know. i got 2.3 ohm motor from bidproduct. might be cheaper to get flyzone motors stateside LOL.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:49 AM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
839 Posts
It's been 2 years that i use the UFO-8-Z-12 motors from walkera . They have a longer can and are stronger. They can handle 5V, if you want to get more thrust (with a dc converter).
The internal resistance is 2 ohms.

You can buy them here for example:
http://www.helipal.com/ufo-8--z-12-motor-set.html

The 7mm motors with longer cans that you find at BSD are probably the same as the walkera motors.
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Last edited by indoor_fr; Nov 08, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:25 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
nice to know. i got 2.3 ohm motor from bidproduct. might be cheaper to get flyzone motors stateside LOL.
1.8 - 1.6 ohm would be a hotter wind than the 2.3. Now I am happy that I ordered the Flyzone motors. They state 12.000 KV on the Tower Website. I wonder what the kv is on your 2.3 ohm motors.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM.