SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2013, 03:35 AM
Joined Mar 2006
89 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Fatshark Predator Goggle - Custom Dioptic Lens

So I opted a Fatshark Predator Goggle for the main reason of convenience, because I've got only 2 hands to bring my fpv gears to the field. A goggle like Fatshark could be strapped on my head while exiting the car.
Since then i never had the mishap of dropping my radio tx into the drain when i ran out of hand.

I also purchased the set of dioptic lens but i have astigmatism and both my eyes have different prescription so those lens somehow don't match my eyes quite well so I still get blurry image.

And none of the local optic shop would be able to custom the lens for us because the lens size required for the fatshark is simply too small for the trimming machine to clamp on.

After months of searching for solution, a good friend who runs an optic shop suggested this.
Is to purchase the original uncut version of the spectacle lens/glass and cut it myself!This is how it looks like, that glass you are wearing was from these!
Sorry. Picture shown is after i cut.

So before you cut, get the measurement first. Depending on your lens thickness and how you would want to fit it. The following pictures may explain better.

According to the measurement you got, lay 2 layers of masking tape on it as a guide. That made it so much easier to cut and protect your lens as well.
Remember to * wear a mask(they release super fine powder!) * cut very slowly! * use a fine saw

And here's the outcome compare to the original Fatshark lens.
* Noticed those red lines across the lens? Pls be sure to get your optometrist to make a horizontal line! if not you may end up with incorrect focus
* also mark which is for left or right eyes

The fitment. You may either slot it back to the existing slot(left pic), or had it tilted out a bit(right pic) so they are more horizontally parallel to each other. That sort of solved the blurry OSD reading on both far end of the screen.

This is what i meant.
Ohya. I added a strap at the middle too, it supports the weight of the goggle hence i don't need to strap(or clamp) it to my head so hard everytime!

With clear vision, i could fly like this.
FPV Tricopter Sunday Fast Fly (5 min 10 sec)

Hope this helps!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or feel free to comment.

Cheers
edwardjohn is offline Find More Posts by edwardjohn
Last edited by edwardjohn; May 09, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2013, 07:05 PM
cgor
Flushing Mi
Joined Apr 2008
33 Posts
I also have the problem of a astigmatism so I'm wondeing where you found the blanks at a low price. I checked with LensCrafters and they want $300 for a set thin enough to use. I tried the one guys suggestion of using low [power reading glassing and that helped but with the camera making thing appear farther away than they really are and vision still not quite right I need to make your idea work but at a reasonable price. Hope you can help
cgor is offline Find More Posts by cgor
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgor View Post
I also have the problem of a astigmatism so I'm wondeing where you found the blanks at a low price. I checked with LensCrafters and they want $300 for a set thin enough to use. I tried the one guys suggestion of using low [power reading glassing and that helped but with the camera making thing appear farther away than they really are and vision still not quite right I need to make your idea work but at a reasonable price. Hope you can help
you can use thick lens but the downside is you can't slot it into the existing goggle slot you need to put it over the slot like he did
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Based upon the picture the blanks are the ones already made and sold by FatShark
Do you use two different dioplers or is the slant of the lens (red line) take care
Of it
artross26 is offline Find More Posts by artross26
Old Jul 10, 2013, 02:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Great info, guess my old lenses soon will be retrofitted into use.
JoeyBoy is offline Find More Posts by JoeyBoy
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Mar 2006
89 Posts
cgor - try other optic shop. this one may try to rip you off. $300 is rather ridiculous but the price varies to different prescrption

skellator - u r right

artross26 - yeap 2 different optic since both eyes have different prescription. the red lines are there as horizontal reference, crucial

joeyboy - yeah great doing that
edwardjohn is offline Find More Posts by edwardjohn
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:18 AM
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
Do you have another post about the center strap mod? I've been wanting to do that with my Attitudes, because they don't fit at all right now, but I can't figure out a good plan on how to add the center strap.
baddox is offline Find More Posts by baddox
Old Nov 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
912 Posts
Hi,

Just finished my Discovery Pro and have Headplay goggles which I really don't like very much. I have heard a lot about the Dominators and thought perhaps I would get a pair.
My concern is the the fact that I wear reading glasses. Strength is about 1.5 ish. I did read here the mods that some are using by cutting up cheap reading glasses. Has anyone with the eyesight I have 1.5 used these goggles without correction? Why doesn't Fat Shark make corrective lenses for people farsighted. I would think this is much more prevalent than those that are nearsighted.
Really was going to pull the trigger tonight till I realized nobody had them in stock here in the US.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:14 PM
Joined Aug 2014
12 Posts
This seems like something you would to point out to the industrious Chinese fellows sitting around building $40 gimbals.
Have them turn up custom made lens for FPV goggles.
Seems like a growing market if you include VR goggles and entertainment goggles.
f33dback is offline Find More Posts by f33dback
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:43 PM
Joined Jan 2014
4 Posts
I found myself having the same problem as most. I wear reading glasses and nothing I tried worked until yesterday. I found a solution that ended up costing me about ten bucks and a half hours work and problem solved. Perfectly clear image on my new Dominator V2's. I wish I were talented enough to do a You Tube video on what I did but I'm not. If there is any interest I will try to sit down and put it to paper what I did. I have gotten a lot of great info from the forum and would love to be able to give back.
craigbstephens is offline Find More Posts by craigbstephens
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:33 AM
Darwin
Joined Aug 2002
774 Posts
PLEASE tell
Cheer's
CrocEnd is offline Find More Posts by CrocEnd
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:27 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbstephens View Post
I found myself having the same problem as most. I wear reading glasses and nothing I tried worked until yesterday. I found a solution that ended up costing me about ten bucks and a half hours work and problem solved. Perfectly clear image on my new Dominator V2's. I wish I were talented enough to do a You Tube video on what I did but I'm not. If there is any interest I will try to sit down and put it to paper what I did. I have gotten a lot of great info from the forum and would love to be able to give back.
Can't read your post without my reading glasses!
Would like to know your solultion too!
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:49 AM
Joined Jan 2014
4 Posts
Reading Glasses Mod

My problem was trying to figure out what lens I needed to help me read the OSD and see the overall image. At my age I am blessed with the need for generic reading glasses.
After reading some of the other posts about cutting lenses, that's pretty simple. The technique of putting the painters tape on the lenses and cutting to size with a Dremel tool works great. The trick was finding the right diopter. Fat shark says the screens are designed to give a virtual image at about six feet. So go to your local Wal Mart or equivalent and stand back six feet from the display and start trying glasses. Mine peaked out at 1.25. For reading a book I really need a 2.5. If you can read the print and the images are clear at six feet you've nailed it. Shouldn't be more than about 10 bucks.

Pop those lenses out, put a piece of 1 inch painters tape right across the middle of the lens on both sides and gut the excess plastic off. Clean them off real good, remove the rubber eye pieces, drop the lens in curved side toward the screen and put the eye pieces back on. It won't be the same fit like the factory diopters but they stay in place and you will be surprised.....you can read the numbers on your OSD.

Sure hope this helps. Would love to know how this worked out. If you're happy, pass it on. I have gotten so much help from this forum it's nice to give back.
Happy flying,
Craig
craigbstephens is offline Find More Posts by craigbstephens
Old Jan 11, 2015, 09:06 AM
Joined Feb 2006
16 Posts
Congratulations, really interesting mod. I just bought a Teleporter V3 kit and I feel comfortable with the standard 2 diopter lens, but I do have the problem that the fatshark glasses go down my nose with an awful image quality result. I will try your strap mod. Could you put more pictures of the mod?
On the other hand, my problem is that eyelashes touch the diopter lens, resulting in dirty lens and steamed lens. Any suggestion?
Many thanks,
Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardjohn View Post
So I opted a Fatshark Predator Goggle for the main reason of convenience, because I've got only 2 hands to bring my fpv gears to the field. A goggle like Fatshark could be strapped on my head while exiting the car.
Since then i never had the mishap of dropping my radio tx into the drain when i ran out of hand.

I also purchased the set of dioptic lens but i have astigmatism and both my eyes have different prescription so those lens somehow don't match my eyes quite well so I still get blurry image.

And none of the local optic shop would be able to custom the lens for us because the lens size required for the fatshark is simply too small for the trimming machine to clamp on.

After months of searching for solution, a good friend who runs an optic shop suggested this.
Is to purchase the original uncut version of the spectacle lens/glass and cut it myself!This is how it looks like, that glass you are wearing was from these!
Sorry. Picture shown is after i cut.

So before you cut, get the measurement first. Depending on your lens thickness and how you would want to fit it. The following pictures may explain better.

According to the measurement you got, lay 2 layers of masking tape on it as a guide. That made it so much easier to cut and protect your lens as well.
Remember to * wear a mask(they release super fine powder!) * cut very slowly! * use a fine saw

And here's the outcome compare to the original Fatshark lens.
* Noticed those red lines across the lens? Pls be sure to get your optometrist to make a horizontal line! if not you may end up with incorrect focus
* also mark which is for left or right eyes

The fitment. You may either slot it back to the existing slot(left pic), or had it tilted out a bit(right pic) so they are more horizontally parallel to each other. That sort of solved the blurry OSD reading on both far end of the screen.

This is what i meant.
Ohya. I added a strap at the middle too, it supports the weight of the goggle hence i don't need to strap(or clamp) it to my head so hard everytime!

With clear vision, i could fly like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2dh4nc1DT4

Hope this helps!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or feel free to comment.

Cheers
FRAN_28X is offline Find More Posts by FRAN_28X