HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:49 PM
Which stick makes it go up?
Canada, ON
Joined Apr 2011
31 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub LP rudder servo comes plugged in aileron port?

Hi everyone

I'm a new flyer in the process of assembling my Super Cub LP BNF and I'm stumped by something.

The manual says

The rudder comes plugged into the aileron port of the receiver to allow the use of the aileron stick for directional control. You will need to reverse the aileron channel for correct direction of travel.

Why wouldn't I want the rudder servo plugged into the rudder port so I could use the left stick on my spektrum dx5e to control the rudder, which is, I believe the accepted practice (same way I control my blade msr helicopter)

One day i hope to get a plane with ailerons. Won't it mess me up for later if I get in the habit of turning the rudder with the right stick?

Your experience appreciated.

Pete
hobbyjumper is offline Find More Posts by hobbyjumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:19 PM
Team Hitec
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Why wouldn't I want the rudder servo plugged into the rudder port so I could use the left stick on my spektrum dx5e to control the rudder, which is, I believe the accepted practice
False, the REASON the rudder comes plugged into the Aileron port is because you steer the plane via the right stick. WHICH CONTROL SURFACES ACCOMPLISH THIS ARE IRRELEVANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You steer an aircraft with the right stick on Mode 2, not the left stick.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Last edited by Xpress..; Apr 02, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:10 AM
Canada, ON
Joined Apr 2011
31 Posts
I'm afraid I don't understand your answer, ie was is false. Perhaps you could explain further.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
False, the REASON the rudder comes plugged into the Aileron port is because you steer the plane via the lest stick. WHICH CONTROL SURFACES ACCOMPLISH THIS ARE IRRELEVANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You steer an aircraft with the left stick on Mode 2, not the right stick.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:16 PM
Team Hitec
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,057 Posts
I briefly explained it in my previous post. When you steer an aircraft (keep in mind we are talking about a Mode 2 transmitter), you always, always utilize the RIGHT stick as your primary method of turning. Does not matter if the aircraft has 2 channels, 3 channels, or 4+ channels, you are always going to primarily steer the aircraft with the right stick.

In the case of 3 channel trainers, the rudder is used as the primary method of turning, due to the lack of ailerons. These models generally have dihedral in the wings, so when you apply rudder, it forces one wingtip into a partial stall, causing it to dip, or basically bank. The application of rudder is what causes the plane to bank! (and if you still don't get it, on these 3 channel models, the rudder takes the place of the ailerons- they provide the same exact function)

This method has work for hundreds of THOUSANDS of countless beginners. Every single beginner that transitions from a 3 channel model setup like this immediately picks up the ability to bank a 4 channel aileron plane and steer it around without any issue whatsoever. I have taught a handful of people on 3 channel trainers. I know of plenty others who have learned on 3 channel. Nobody has to "relearn how to bank the plane, because your instructor setup the rudder on the wrong channel." NO, not true whatsoever. If you learned to fly a HZ Super cub with the rudder on the rudder channel, then you would have to re-learn everything when going to a 4 channel! Because you never learned how to use the right stick properly!

That is why the manufacturer setup the aircraft as so. Set it up as they indicate, and you will have zero troubles flying the aircraft.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:53 AM
Norway
Joined Feb 2010
602 Posts
The channels are named aileron etc. because that's how it has been done for decades. It becomes useless and confusing if you are not flying a regular 4-channel plane.

The previous poster has a thorough explanation. The channels and stick directions should have been named according to plane movement, not control surface. The right stick is roll(=bank) and pitch, the left stick is throttle and yaw. (This is for mode 2).

If you rewrite the manuals sentence according to this, you get "The rudder comes plugged into the ROLL port of the receiver to allow the use of the ROLL stick for directional control. You will need to reverse the ROLL channel for correct direction of travel."

On a three channel plane you do not have yaw control. The roll control is delivered by the rudder. So the rudder servo goes to the roll channel and the roll stick.
meshyx is offline Find More Posts by meshyx
Last edited by meshyx; Apr 03, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:56 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Apr 2011
31 Posts
Thanks Xpress and mesh for the thorough answers. I totally get it now, and am content to leave well enough alone.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:22 PM
beanmate
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Jan 2015
27 Posts
[QUOTE=meshyx;17865240]The channels are named aileron etc. because that's how it has been done for decades. It becomes useless and confusing if you are not flying a regular 4-channel plane.

The previous poster has a thorough explanation. The channels and stick directions should have been named according to plane movement, not control surface. The right stick is roll(=bank) and pitch, the left stick is throttle and yaw. (This is for mode 2).

If you rewrite the manuals sentence according to this, you get "The rudder comes plugged into the ROLL port of the receiver to allow the use of the ROLL stick for directional control. You will need to reverse the ROLL channel for correct direction of travel."

On a three channel plane you do not have yaw control. The roll control is delivered by the rudder. So the rudder servo goes to the roll channel and the roll stick.

does that mean I can not use the mixing feature on my DX6 on my 3ch planes,
because all of them direct the plane with the right stick, just starting to do RC
planes and know very little.
beanmate is offline Find More Posts by beanmate