HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
271 Posts
Discussion
10ch setup

Jim--Going to be putting a 104" Yak together and had a question..I will be using 4 aileron servos--2 elevators--throttle--rudder--kill switch--2 battery packs..Am I correct in saying I can plug each servo into its own port on the rx and there will be no lag ? What Im trying to do is eliminate the y connections for the ailerons and elevators but obviously I need them to be synched..

This is using a Futaba 9C
Pale Rider is offline Find More Posts by Pale Rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:24 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
I am building a Stearman and am going to do the same thing for the top aileron servos. According to what Jim has said if you use channel mapping the outputs happen at exactly the same time, so there should be no latency issues.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:38 PM
Joined Jul 2004
271 Posts
Thats what I was hoping--thats a BIG BIG advantage to me--less connections are ALWAYS better---
Pale Rider is offline Find More Posts by Pale Rider
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:39 PM
pyote,tx
Joined May 2007
226 Posts
this is goin to be the snitz for giant scale planes with multiple servos
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:22 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
I am waiting for the engine and trying to get the radio gear installed in the Stearman, as soon as I do I will try to get short video clip and info on how I set it up. And setting the channel mapping wasnt nearly as hard as I thought would be using the LED. The hardest part is keeping up with the LED blinks.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,827 Posts
Yes, the outputs occur at the exact same time. The advantage here is that most new servos (digitals) can not be run through a Y-harness.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2004
126 Posts
chrisf testpilot
I am installing my XPS 8ch with the same setup of your's plane in my CG Yak54.
Two aileron servos for each wing, one elevator servo for each side.
I am almost giving up my JR MatchBox and trying to setup XPS ch mapping aileron servos.
What would be a problem is achieve equal neutral in both set of ailerons per each side. I am using Hitec 5645MG Digitals.
Unfortunately I can't figure out how to put a bakup battery connect to 8ch rx.
With 8 servos (metal gears and digitals) only one 6v 2.500mAh pack would be not enough to my receiver, using a 8ch.
With a 10ch, I could use another pack, plugged into a free port.
I am still afraid: use or not use match box? If I leave matchbox and use only one pack, may I fly confident?
Thanks any suggestion!
P.S. I am not enough confident with XPS rx location.
Why some people insists to install antena in the canopy deck?
If my plane (Yak54) is made only by wood, some screws, etc, I can't imagine why not install rx like a 72Mhz rx, into the fuselage, as radio signal will not be interfered by those materials.
Any help or suggestions to clarify these conflictant topic.
Thanks again.
Henrique Lang
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Henrique Lang is offline Find More Posts by Henrique Lang
Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,827 Posts
The height of the receiver antenna is important. 2.4GHz does not bounce off of the ground like lower frequencies do, so the range is reduced the lower the receiver gets to the ground. The last thing you want is to make a long, low approach from 750 feet away and find you have no control because the receiver is only 6" off of the ground.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
Custom Rekitter
Carlsbad, NM
Joined Jun 2007
116 Posts
XPS "Recommends" installing the receiver on the flight deck with the antenna pointing up.

I have installed 2 8 ch receivers in two planes in the fueslage the same as I would a 72 but with the antenna pointing forward. I have had no problems.
The range checks were good and I have been flying them for nearly 2 months.

I take a manufacturers "recommendation" as a suggestion and then do what I need to do to make it work. As with any radio installation great care with the wiring is necessary to avoid problems.

My approaches are generally higher than 6 inches above the ground. They are more like 3 feet above the ground at 150 feet out. Works great.
parkerm@warpdriv is offline Find More Posts by parkerm@warpdriv