HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:11 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
278 Posts
Discussion
Apply covering film to depron ..?

I am intending to scratchbuild a sport aerobatic model approx 1500 span using conventional built-up film covered balsa wings and tailplane but with a boxy fuselage built up from 6mm depron.

Rather than paint the fuselage and struggle to get sharp masking lines, this time I`d like to try a full film cover job on the depron.

Before I start and stumble into all manner of strife, has anyone done this successfully and may be able to provide a few pointers.

My search to date hasn`t turned up much in the way of help so far.

Thanks,

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:41 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,184 Posts
I have used China coat at low heat on the Dollar store foam, Elmers foam board with the paper removed, a couple of other foams I have no idea what they were.

My tests showed it was done easily. Yet if you use to much heat you will get ripples in the foam as the plastic covering cools it seems to pull the surface of the foam. I used just enough heat to get the covering to stick.

I warped the foam real bad the first couple of pieces. I used way to much heat and shrunk the covering s tight, it warped the foam sheets.

May have to test it on a few pieces to get the feel of it.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,572 Posts
The low temperature heat shrink coverings can be used. On a box fuse' structure I don't think warping will be a big issue. On the other hand on a flat wing or control surface it is very difficult to get a good looking job with out warps. If film is applied to one side of a sheet it will warp no matter what you try. But, if you have film on both sides and patience to reheat and reheat the convex side of the sheet you can get a pretty good job.

But frankly, I have been much happier using colored packing tape. Only problem is it's only 2" wide. Good joints with 0-2mm overlaps look good from 10-15' away. Up close you will see any joint. If you plan your color scheme nice looking planes can be made using white foam (like www.modelplanefoam.com)with packing tape as trim.
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,909 Posts
Check out this post and tape supplier.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=2
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
942 Posts
I have tried the same thing. But my favorite method is to use 3M spray adhesive and some of the thinner mylar or even cellophane from the dollar store. The spray will mildly eat the foam but its not that big a deal. I stretch the stuff as taunt as possible over the structure then take out any wrinkles with low heat from a covering iron. Option 2 is to smooth out any wrinkles before covering using the iron on the material before covering. I still use low heat to remove any wrinkles after applying. Option 3 I will also use thin shopping bags adhered to foam by 3M then spray paint to the desired color.
MUTCAKE
MUTCAKE is online now Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
I am intending to scratchbuild a sport aerobatic model approx 1500 span using conventional built-up film covered balsa wings and tailplane but with a boxy fuselage built up from 6mm depron.

Rather than paint the fuselage and struggle to get sharp masking lines, this time I`d like to try a full film cover job on the depron.

Before I start and stumble into all manner of strife, has anyone done this successfully and may be able to provide a few pointers.

My search to date hasn`t turned up much in the way of help so far.

Thanks,

Alan W

For masking, I use Frogs Tape (it's a better painters tape) from Home Depot. Paint does not bleed under the tape.
Works on depron and EPP foam
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
88 Posts
I covered a shock flyer with a "hologram" -film.
This film is not very heavy and easy to use.

Regards, Klaus
klausi0 is offline Find More Posts by klausi0
Old Today, 01:50 AM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Check out this post and tape supplier.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=2
Some good ideas here. Thanks for those. I do like the idea of the 2" coloured packing tape but seems they won`t ship it down here....

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky