HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:39 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
Maiden flight went perfectly this morning. No readjustments needed from my "eyeball" settings on the bench, other than more down elev. with full flaps and some on motor/climb out. All up weight with 3s , 1300 mill batt. is 49 oz. But the Ammo motor weighs 6.5 oz. quite a bit heavier than the German motors , but it climbs vertically., 15 X 6 prop. Don't have a CAM unit installed so can't get any 'time to 200 meters' yet.

Balanced at 38% which seems good (80 mm back from L.E. ) but I just noticed that the Eroplan website lists the CG at 93mm which is about 45%. I might try that after more experience with the overall flight characteristics. No noticeable tip stall !
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:49 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,342 Posts
Great report. Thanks so much for posting.

Perhaps you could pull out your camera or smart phone and snap a few shots of your equipment installation. Always love to see how people have done things.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:18 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
I'll do that for the fuselage, not possible to see much on the wing servos, it's so tight. My wing to fuselage wiring isn't pretty but it works and I don't have to unplug the wing from the fuse. (other than the tips) to transport in my car, just unbolt and turn wing parallel to fuse.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:45 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
The servos are mounted with 3M Extreme , doubled sided tape. It STICKS !!. I've used it before to mount servos externally for rear mounting on rudd. and elev. and have never had it loosen. The pic is blurry, camera won't focus that close, but I just use L bends on the pushrods and locate the servos close enough to the side so that they can't slip out. The batts. are all the ones that fit, that I have on hand. The 1300 3S gives 4 good climbs to 200 meters. Haven't tested the 1000 3S yet for climb #. The 2S give enough power for testing purposes, not for contests.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 07:27 PM
Skip Miller Models
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Dec 2013
29 Posts
Hey Guys!

We got out and flew the Kappa a little yesterday, what a sweet flying plane! The conditions were less than ideal for a test flight, but even in the cold and wet we still hooked up and let the Kappa do what it does best, thermal in the lightest lift imaginable! It was a hoot!

This particular plane has a Neu 707 (awesome motor! even at 5500ft ASL) paired with a 1300mah 3s and a Castle Edge light ESC. Without a doubt the go-to power system for this plane.

The ATX 94809's performed flawlessly and are a great servo for this application.

Enough babbling, here are some pics. Video early next week. stay tuned!!!
SkipMillerModels is online now Find More Posts by SkipMillerModels
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: New stock!!!
Old Sep 09, 2014, 03:49 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
" let the Kappa do what it does best, thermal in the lightest lift imaginable! It was a hoot!"

I can agree with that ! Best thermaling plane I've ever had.

My motor/ ESC/ servo combo is probably about 1/3 rd the cost of yours but nevertheless I'm extremely pleased with the overall performance. First ALES contest with multiple contestants coming up this weekend.

I have the flaps/ailerons coupled for "crow" for quicker high altitude descents without having to dive , then can switch the crow off for better aileron control for landing.

No elevator compensation is used for power-on climb outs, but then I don't use flight modes.....prefer "one switch does one thing" type of programming.

I've settled on TP 1300, 3S batts., both 70 C and 45 C They are skinny enough to get in/out and give good duration.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:35 AM
Skip Miller Models
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Dec 2013
29 Posts
Check out the video!

Kappa 35 (7 min 43 sec)
SkipMillerModels is online now Find More Posts by SkipMillerModels
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: New stock!!!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 03:24 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
Yes ! That's exactly how it flies and how hard it is to make it descend. I added crow to help but it still requires thinking ahead to not run over the 10 minutes.

It's hard to tell exactly from the video but I think my Ammo inrunner and gearbox with a 15X6 Aeronaut prop, 3S , 1300 TP batt., Turnigy Plush 40 A ESC, gives slightly faster, steeper climb outs on full power.

I use full on/off power on a switch with the ESC set for soft start, and the sw. programmed for a 1 second delay/ramp up from off to full power. This is easier on the gearbox but still lets me climb 60-70 deg. right away.

AD asked me awhile back how that combo was performing, as a lower cost alternate ......that's how....
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:59 PM
doo
United States, WA, Raymond
Joined Dec 2002
72 Posts
The Kappa looks like an interesting model. Could anyone comment on if the tail is easily removed for transport? The rudder looks tall, and I am sure I would snag it on something getting it in or out of my car.

Thanks.
doo is offline Find More Posts by doo
Old Sep 13, 2014, 02:55 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Sep 2008
177 Posts
Impressive
Kenbogunz is online now Find More Posts by Kenbogunz
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:49 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo View Post
The Kappa looks like an interesting model. Could anyone comment on if the tail is easily removed for transport? The rudder looks tall, and I am sure I would snag it on something getting it in or out of my car.

Thanks.
The tail is easily removable, just two bolts that run up through the vert. stab. , holes in the bottom of the fuselage for allen wrench access. But disconnecting the rudd./elev. pushrods would be the bigger job unless you use conventional clevises (I don't, just L bends for simplicity.) Also, there is a "fairing cone" over the pushrod access hole in the end of the tail which needs to be removed so you would need a quick but reliable means of securing it. I just use Scotch tape because I never remove the tail.

Hitting the rudder is not a problem for transporting in my Nissan Versa. Getting it through doorways because of the span of the horz. stab. is more of a concern.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:48 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,342 Posts
Nice Video and great looking aircraft.

I am still floored by an all up weight of around 45 ounces on a 3.5M wing. Unbelieveable!

On the video it sounded like the glider was being flown in some wind but the motor was on so much it was hard to judge wind penetration.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM.