HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:18 PM
Buyer rating is really 4
Joined Feb 2013
108 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
true, but on the other hand, with the advent of smartphones, if you want to buy something, you can, without delay. Not that I think everyone needs to have one, but those that don't get left behind. It's the same way with life in general. If you can't keep up, you're going to get left behind.

there is a big change going on in the way we deal with transactions, and I think you and I are going to see more of these threads where people will be willing to wait less and less to "make a deal". I don't know if it's right or wrong.
You're a realist, therefore you know what really matters. People are going to continue to wait less time to make deals. We've gone from money orders, to Paypal, and now internet capable phones. Good point about the smartphone also. If it means so much to someone that they never miss a deal, then they need to get one, rather than come here and complain about some seller and discuss theoretical ethics.

The only wrong or right that matters is the rules set and enforced by either the staff here or Paypal. The rest is just material for folks to pointlessly debate and argue about, soon moving to the lost archives of file13. If something sells it's because it was a good deal. People can come here all day and bash those who went against their ethic rules made by a very small group of people, but it's really all in the wind. I see countless sales with hundreds of views, giving me a clear idea of the actual number of people who view these ads. If a seller has good deals and doesn't cheat people, then they will come here and sell to whoever they want to, however they want to. All the complaining done about them in the world will not change much anything in their sales, except for maybe convincing them to block a few people from buying from them.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:26 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined May 2013
94 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
The Internet & Small Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by topforce View Post
Alot of folks addicted to buying second hand hobby stuff on line will stretch their finances to the limit! Cant pay til they get paid.
Don,
I'm NOT addicted to buying (or selling) on the net, as a matter of fact it's gotta to be an extreme PIA lately, I've come to truly hate it!!

BUT, when you live in a SMALL town with no "real" hobby stores, than what other choice do I have?? Stay away from the R/C hobby?? Watch TV all day??

One of my heli's is Blade Tandem Rescue, bout 1/2 of the parts have been disco'ed by HH, eBay only source for those parts now, and I am stocking up.

You should try selling R/C in my area, I get response's like... I'll give you $5 for it - True story, that's what some bozo offered me for a brand new Trax Bandit body (with wing & rear shock tower) barely used (still have it). A$$ "claimed" he can can get on eBay for that!! Sorry, but I shop eBay, I know what sellers charge for bodies, $10~$12 just for shipping - because of bulk, not weight - $5 my a$$!!

Others have told me when they put ads on CL people call them and want to trade for meth, marijuana or some other illegal item. Sooo, I have 3 choice's... sell it online, throw the stuff away or move to a big city - option 3 ain't happen'en!!

Some of us live on fixed income's; in plain english WE GET ONE CHECK A MONTH!! -- So, if I see an item I really want to buy near the end of the month, how am I being un-reasonable by asking the seller to wait a couple days till I get my pension check to pay for the item??

I have NO PROBLEM doing that for a buyer, so why should a seller have an issue returning the good dead??

Sorry for the rant you guys; but I think some of you need to step back and take a closer look at all sides of the story before passing harsh judgement on someone.

Peace.
MDK_187 is offline Find More Posts by MDK_187
Last edited by MDK_187; Sep 13, 2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: mask cuss word
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:42 PM
I can put anything here?
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
565 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
The argument for smartphones and whatnot makes sense when you look at it from a strictly empirical point of view, but when it comes down to it i think holding an item for someone is just a good gesture.
Ive held items for people when they asked, ive had items held for me when i want to buy something.
I just look at it as being nice.
This hobby, at leas the way i see, is declining. Not just in #'s but in the way people are in general.
Seeing people still willing to help out all they can, even its as simple as holding an item for a day or two, means alot to me.
If you decide to sell an item and need payment within a few hours, i would suggest a pawn shop
Someone made the point of saying how hobby shops wouldnt hold an item for you so why should i.
I dont know what shop you go to, but mine will gladly put an item behind the counter for me if i didnt have the cash on me. They will also order extra parts that they know i usually buy just in case i happen to come in looking for one.
The shop that used to be open in my town did more than that for me. Hell, the owners even treated me to dinner a few times.
There ARE still people like that out there, and its nice to see.

Just wanted to kill that argument.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,665 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcat09 View Post
The argument for smartphones and whatnot makes sense when you look at it from a strictly empirical point of view, but when it comes down to it i think holding an item for someone is just a good gesture.
Ive held items for people when they asked, ive had items held for me when i want to buy something.
This hobby, at leas the way i see, is declining. Not just in #'s but in the way people are in general.
Seeing people still willing to help out all they can, even its as simple as holding an item for a day or two, means alot to me.
If you decide to sell an item and need payment within a few hours, i would suggest a pawn shop
Someone made the point of saying how hobby shops wouldnt hold an item for you so why should i.
I dont know what shop you go to, but mine will gladly put an item behind the counter for me if i didnt have the cash on me. They will also order extra parts that they know i usually buy just in case i happen to come in looking for one.
The shop that used to be open in my town did more than that for me. Hell, the owners even treated me to dinner a few times.
There ARE still people like that out there, and its nice to see.

Hat's off. Well said.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:27 AM
Lots foam, so little time
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,164 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
To redirect what sparked this thread,
It was the seemingly disingenuousness of the first contact with the buyer.
If the buyer said he really wanted it bad and needed time to get the money together, I might have a different view.
Money orders don't take a week to obtain, heck a personal check could have been mailed.
There was no effort like that. Just "cant get into my paypal".
Paypal is a professional entity....so I cant see the problem lies there.
One week is long enough to drag a classified sale around to the end point of I can't pay for it.
Now I'm not hurting for cash, I just like things wrapped up in a timely manner.
Point is
BE HONEST and straight up front...then we're good.

Now, after all this, I have to be honest with the second buyer in line that the model has damage I wasn't aware of....I guess the jokes on me.

And last but not least, I used "seemingly disingenuousness " in a sentence!
It's a first
Depron Dave is offline Find More Posts by Depron Dave
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined May 2013
94 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
...This hobby, at leas the way I see, is declining. Not just in #'s but in the way people are in general...
Not just this hobby, many others as well. Seems like everybody's addicted to video games these days, dads don't teach kids how to hunt & fish (too many kids being raised by single moms), and the kids don't wanna know how, just an observation though.

...Seeing people still willing to help out all they can, even its as simple as holding an item for a day or two, means alot to me...
Recently I gave away for free some older radio equipment I had layin around on this forum, does that count for anything??

If you decide to sell an item and need payment within a few hours, I would suggest a pawn shop l
LOL, dude that's a fricken classic, I gotta remember that one!

...Someone made the point of saying how hobby shops wouldn't hold an item for you so why should I I don't know what shop you go to, but mine will gladly put an item behind the counter for me if I didn't have the cash on me.
There is a hobby store in another town that I can go to, like you, I can call them and they will hold items (last week they held about $70 worth of heli parts behind the counter) and even order items for me (long as $$ not to high) so I only have to make one trip, to pick the stuff up.

My post (#32) was intended to be a rebuttal to TopForce's post #8, not an attempt to bash on anybody.

Buying & selling via the internet wether it be a forum, CL, eBay, whatever can & often times is a very frustrating experience. It's not one I look forward to, however as I stated previously, I don't really have any other alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcat09 View Post
The argument for smartphones and whatnot makes sense when you look at it from a strictly empirical point of view, but when it comes down to it I think holding an item for someone is just a good gesture.
Ive held items for people when they asked; i've had items held for me when I want to buy something.
This hobby, at leas the way I see, is declining. Not just in #'s but in the way people are in general.
Seeing people still willing to help out all they can, even it's as simple as holding an item for a day or two, means alot to me.
If you decide to sell an item and need payment within a few hours, I would suggest a pawn shop
Someone made the point of saying how hobby shops wouldn't hold an item for you so why should I.
I don't know what shop you go to, but mine will gladly put an item behind the counter for me if I didn't have the cash on me. They will also order extra parts that they know I usually buy just in case I happen to come in looking for one.

There ARE still people like that out there, and it's nice to see.

MDK_187 is offline Find More Posts by MDK_187
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:54 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,067 Posts
Trader Rating: 615
I don't necessarily mind waiting a few days or making an arrangement. The problem and frustration is that many times those deals fall through. I have sold lots on RCGroups and if I had to put a number on it I would guess 80% of those who ask me to hold and wait never pay or reply ever again. In fact I just had that happen to me again. A guy wanted something I had for sale and on Thursday afternoon last week he wanted to also add to the shipment an item from my website that was out of stock but arriving in a few days. I said the item was due in in less than a week he agreed and the items came in on Monday (two business days later) so I sent a PM saying the additional item you wanted I now have and am ready to ship. Well no reply, no payment, nothing. He has logged on to RCG and yet does not want to reply to my PM. So I ended up selling to the next guy as I am not going to chase this guy down to get paid.

I understand if you are on a fixed income and get a check once a month etc. All I ask is that if you are 100% certain you will buy it then send a PM so I understand what is going on. A PM saying "I want that but cant pay for a week" to me is different than a PM saying "I don't get paid until the end of the month would you consider holding it for me?" A PM like that I typically will reply that I can hold if they are willing to give me their word they will make a 100% commitment to buy. The ones who will follow through will reply and you can pretty much tell from the reply they mean it and it works out.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:19 AM
I can put anything here?
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
565 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Which is the main problem online,not just when it comes to holding an item. People just find it hard communicate. Which complicates alot of otherwise simple things.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:40 AM
United States, MI, Cedar Springs
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK_187 View Post
...This hobby, at leas the way I see, is declining. Not just in #'s but in the way people are in general...
Not just this hobby, many others as well. Seems like everybody's addicted to video games these days, dads don't teach kids how to hunt & fish (too many kids being raised by single moms), and the kids don't wanna know how, just an observation though.

...Seeing people still willing to help out all they can, even its as simple as holding an item for a day or two, means alot to me...
Recently I gave away for free some older radio equipment I had layin around on this forum, does that count for anything??

If you decide to sell an item and need payment within a few hours, I would suggest a pawn shop l
LOL, dude that's a fricken classic, I gotta remember that one!

...Someone made the point of saying how hobby shops wouldn't hold an item for you so why should I I don't know what shop you go to, but mine will gladly put an item behind the counter for me if I didn't have the cash on me.
There is a hobby store in another town that I can go to, like you, I can call them and they will hold items (last week they held about $70 worth of heli parts behind the counter) and even order items for me (long as $$ not to high) so I only have to make one trip, to pick the stuff up.

My post (#32) was intended to be a rebuttal to TopForce's post #8, not an attempt to bash on anybody.

Buying & selling via the internet wether it be a forum, CL, eBay, whatever can & often times is a very frustrating experience. It's not one I look forward to, however as I stated previously, I don't really have any other alternative.
+1 I agree,,I also get paid once a month!!!!!
chopper52 is offline Find More Posts by chopper52
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Trader Rating: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depron Dave View Post
Ethics and the RCG classifieds

Just a quick question that has turned to a rant,
Maybe I'm agonizing over nothing, but if you sell something on RCG and the
"first in line" buyer can't pay immediately, What's a guy to do?

Now I use paypal exclusively for protection. That being said, I have had buyers send me money orders with no problem. Just have to wait for the mail before I can ship. And I cash them first! It's a bother, but there are still people that use mattresses instead of banks.

This leads me to the main point. I have had more than one "buyer" say their having problems with their PP account and payment will be delayed.
What the heck could cause a PP problem that couldn't be resolved in a day other than no money , no credit or a suspended account??

When I buy stuff off RCG, I pay immediately upon receiving a PM notice.
Why the delay???It doesn't make sense and I'm irritated.

As of today, I think I'm done being polite and will have the following disclaimer on anything further I sell here......

"If you are the "first buyer" to respond to my add, you will have 8 hours or less to post payment or the sale will fall to the next buyer in line with the same "8 hours or less" rule. This is at my discretion.
Thank you for your time."

If you can answer emails about the sale, I'm sure you have access to your PP account. It's just a keyboard and the internet.

Somebody straighten me out on this... I don't wanna be a d**k, but I've had enough.

Thanks for listening
There's nothing wrong with that policy, I urge you to post that notice in all your ads though. This way the buyer knows up front.

As a buyer I don't attempt to lead a seller on, we are all adults, if money is tight at the time it is up for sale I tell them I want it but won't be able to do anything until whenever I get paid. Worst they can do is say no, if they say yes then it's up to me to uphold my end of the deal. Which I've done all except once, I knew the day before I couldn't afford it and informed the seller then.

Some people have disposable income, most don't. I know I don't this is why I won't really hesitate to buy used gear that wasn't abused.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:01 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Trader Rating: 178
I agree about your 8-12 hour rules. Reason being is I have said I would take things at say midnight and the buyer is on the west coast. Because I went to bed @ 12am he went with the next buyer while I slept.

I also do paypal for LPUs. On more then one instance I have had buyers show up and still haggling even though we agreed already before we met. When it comes to Money orders (USPS only) I have had sellers just request a snapshot of the money order and we would cross ship.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:34 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
I have to say that I don't understand the 12 hours or less thing. Do I have 12 hours or not? Do I have 11 1/2 hours, but not 12?
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
Lots foam, so little time
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,164 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
maybe it should say...
as soon as the excuses start , I'm moving on.............
Depron Dave is offline Find More Posts by Depron Dave
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:36 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Trader Rating: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
I have to say that I don't understand the 12 hours or less thing. Do I have 12 hours or not? Do I have 11 1/2 hours, but not 12?
12 Hours is a bit extreme... But hey it happened to me on a car drive back home and the car drive was 16 hours. But hey we live in a connected world now right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depron Dave View Post
maybe it should say...
as soon as the excuses start , I'm moving on.............
+1.. That is when you move on.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:29 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,715 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
I would never go and state any hard and fast rules,, you'll make an exception sooner or later then someone will call foul. Better yet take each buyer and seller on a case by case bassis and as soon as your BS meter starts moving it's time to say "next" .

This has worked well for me over the last 15 years of buying/selling online from private parties.

Good luck
scale_only is online now Find More Posts by scale_only