HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:18 PM
I'm flying ! (run for cover)
Greece, South Aegean, Thira
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Discussion
Please suggest 3D plane to fly at backyard (<10 oz)

Hello!

I want some airplane to fly outside of home and land on the street.
The airplane must be about 10 oz (300 gr), 32" wingspan (80cm). That is, small. Reason is to land easier on the street between parked cars. And fit easily in the car when we take the baby out, to fly a couple batteries as well

I already have the hardware (motor, servos, etc). So its ok if its an ARF.

Can you throw in some names, and I ll take it from there

Thanks in advance !
dtrip is offline Find More Posts by dtrip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:14 PM
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
backyard flyer

Hello Im Dan a new 3D plane designer .my 32YAK is a perfect backyard flyer and indoors flyer if interested call or pm. Me(909)6484982
XgDan is offline Find More Posts by XgDan
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:40 PM
Grass stain your plane.
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Well, if you've already got the power system then it is going to depend on what that power system is. In the 7oz range I like Great Planes' 3mm Depron 32" planes, like their Edge 540 and Extra 300.
If you want EPP there are several Crack Yaks at Twisted Hobbies that'll suit you.
RAlanBoyle is offline Find More Posts by RAlanBoyle
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Well its Ok to buy a new motor if needed.

Do you think 2S or 3S batteries suit better with those models ?
(I will be buying new batteries anyway. My current batteries are only 1000mAh 3S but they are about 3 oz, too big for such an airplane). I know it depends on the motor, but what do they do usually ?

XGDan you got pm!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:54 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
Nice looking plane you have there XgDan. Epp obviously. Don't be shy, post the specs. You have my interest.
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:09 AM
Grass stain your plane.
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
If you've got a 50g motor those batteries are perfect for the Electrifly Pluma, it's about 12oz but one of the best all around foamies I've had (in fact, I've had 3). All of the planes I mentioned before would need a 25g motor and 2s batts at about 500mAp.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:23 AM
Grass stain your plane.
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Here is the link to my Youtube channel. I have videos of most of these airplanes we are talking about. Some of them I'm flying around my apartment so you know they can do small spaces. https://www.youtube.com/user/ralanboyle I am particularly proud of flying the 32" Yak down the stairs.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:02 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodude View Post
Nice looking plane you have there XgDan. Epp obviously. Don't be shy, post the specs. You have my interest.
I can tell you, this plane(XGDan) is perfect for backyards, with trees too, also great for midnight flights under the shop lights and the 24 is nice for indoor, its so light, you just cut the throttle when you get in trouble and it just bounces off the ground, complete hardware pack, prepainted in your color choice, shipped, great prices,(more affordable than twist hob) and Dans a great guy to deal with, and a honest deal will be had. He dont go on RCG all that much so call him, anybody interested cal him up, he also does Extras, Sbachs, in 24, 32, 40, 48 and the first 60 is almost done.
I have the Sbach 40 and shes at 15oz with a Neo 400/1120 and a 3s 1300mah, just think how much ligher it culd be with a different setup, still my plane floats like a feather, slows down so slow and the throws are wild, best 3D foamy Ive had.
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Last edited by slopepilot; Jun 30, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlanBoyle View Post
If you've got a 50g motor those batteries are perfect for the Electrifly Pluma, it's about 12oz but one of the best all around foamies I've had (in fact, I've had 3). All of the planes I mentioned before would need a 25g motor and 2s batts at about 500mAp.
Thats what I was expecting to hear, great!

I got a 25 gr or something motor. I want to build a small airplane like the ones you mentioned.

(in fact I have a 50gr too, but Id rather not use it right now. The resulting airplanes do not fit in the car very easily (including baby + wife ) )

Thanks guys the above airplanes are what I want.

Keep posting if anything else comes to mind, thanks again!

Dimitris
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:21 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Aug 2012
276 Posts
I love all the Twisted Hobbys planes. The 32 inches lite series planes do fly the slowest (Crack Yak Lite and Laser) You can't go wrong with any Twisted Plane. Here's a link. http://www.twistedhobbys.com/EPP-Planes-32_c18.htm
Benton
Benton3dflying is offline Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
813 Posts
What Benton said.....there is NOTHING I have found that competes w/the Twisted Lite series. Let the vids enlighten you!!!
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:01 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopepilot View Post
I can tell you, this plane(XGDan) is perfect for backyards, with trees too, also great for midnight flights under the shop lights and the 24 is nice for indoor, its so light, you just cut the throttle when you get in trouble and it just bounces off the ground, complete hardware pack, prepainted in your color choice, shipped, great prices,(more affordable than twist hob) and Dans a great guy to deal with, and a honest deal will be had. He dont go on RCG all that much so call him, anybody interested cal him up, he also does Extras, Sbachs, in 24, 32, 40, 48 and the first 60 is almost done.
I have the Sbach 40 and shes at 15oz with a Neo 400/1120 and a 3s 1300mah, just think how much ligher it culd be with a different setup, still my plane floats like a feather, slows down so slow and the throws are wild, best 3D foamy Ive had.
I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread, and I think the OP might like more info on this series of planes also. Is there anywhere you can direct us to view this line of planes. Web site? Facebook?
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Jul 01, 2013, 02:24 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton3dflying View Post
I love all the Twisted Hobbys planes. The 32 inches lite series planes do fly the slowest (Crack Yak Lite and Laser) You can't go wrong with any Twisted Plane. Here's a link. http://www.twistedhobbys.com/EPP-Planes-32_c18.htm
Benton
This. Twisted Hobbys is really the cat's meow. I have the regular Crack Yak and the Mini Crack Yak. I flew the mini yesterday evening and had a blast. They are such smooth flying planes. You absolutely can't go wrong with Twisted Hobbys.
ElIntocable is online now Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
Nothing beats Twisted Hobbys! There's just something about that foam.
Ryan1325 is offline Find More Posts by Ryan1325
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:22 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,554 Posts
I have 4 of Twisted Hobbys flyers...for good reason....they fly great. My two favorites for backyard stuff is the Crack Pitts on 2S-450's for the low & slow stuff and the Crack Yak on 3S-500's for the wild and crazy stuff. I am doing things with these planes that I did not think I would ever do. Have other 3D planes that don't come close to the TH performance. I think they sprinkle some pixie dust on them before shipping.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ