HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
Discussion
Sebart Angel 30e - Servo and Batteries

I am looking at the Sebart Angel 30e. I read a review that strongly suggested using the recommended JR DS-385 servos as they were good units and they fit the cut outs. It also suggested the plane flew patterns really nicely using slightly heavier 3300 size cells.

Those JR servos are hard to source in the UK, and very pricey. Does anyone have experience of using other servos? E.g I have some HS-65MG or could source HS-5065 if digital would be better... Do they fit nicely etc...? Any particular recommendations?

As for cells, I have several TP2700-25-3S packs, which I see TP recommend for this kit. (Although they suggest a different A30-10XL Hacker motor....). I could get some TP3300-25-3S cells but would like to be sure of the value before laying out my hard earned cash

Anyone have experience with 3300 cells vs these 2700 cells?

Any advice much appreciated. This ship would be my first pattern type plane
Homesick Angel is offline Find More Posts by Homesick Angel
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,162 Posts
Hi,
I have a Sebart Angel S 30E.
I use Hacker A30-14L V2 motor, Hacker master Basic 40 SB ESC with BEC.
Prop is APC electric 14x7. I have used Hyperion G3 45C 3 cell 3300 mAh Lipo and ThunderPower 45C 3 cell 3250 mAh. It has worked fine. I'm not flying any "3D" type of flying (at least not much) - I fly F3A maneuvers mostly.
I get 7-8 minutes flights with above batteries and still have 20 % capacity left when landing.
2700 mAh LiPo will works fine also, you get less flying time but a lighter plane if that is important.
I have flown both with the gear mounted, without the gear (when flying at fields with high grass and I hand lanch then) and also fly with skiis. I made a light carbon belly protection so landings without landing gear will not damage the underside of fuselage (se picture).
I use Futaba S3153MG for all control surfaces. I had two Futaba non metal gear servod go bad. One on the rudder burned after a landing where the rudder got some hit on something on the ground in the summer - man I was wondering was smelling. The other servo, rudder servo also, got bad gears during winter flying (that day was very cold) - no more plastic gear servo in this plane for me.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Mar 24, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Those servos are pretty expensive too..... as mentioned I ave some Hitec HS-65MG, 2 of them. I'm wondering if I could use them in the elevator and rudder and buy two more, or two digital servos for the ailerons?

Not sure whether mixing digital and analogue is sensible? The HS-65MG is slighty bigger than your Futabas. I wonder if they will fit the servo cut-outs?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:06 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Homesick Angel,

Measure the dimensions of the servo cut outs and then use this servo data base to find some servos that fit, both you servo cut outs and your budget.

J

http://www.servodatabase.com/
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:17 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,162 Posts
Hi,
Hitec HS-65MG dimensions will fit into the servo holes for wing, rudder and elevator but You have to carve 1 millimeter in length of servo plywood mounting since the Hitec servo is 1 mm longer then a Futaba S3153MG that is an exact fit in the hole. That is easy to do.
I see that the Hitec servo does not have rubber grommets but it should be OK since vibrations is very low in an electric plane (if you balance the prop carefully). I prefer servos with rubber grommets with eyelet from underside in the grommet hole also on electric planes, but that is me.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Homesick Angel,

Measure the dimensions of the servo cut outs and then use this servo data base to find some servos that fit, both you servo cut outs and your budget.

J

http://www.servodatabase.com/
Thanks - Good plan, but I don't have the model yet - just "pricing up" what I'd need to purchase That database is useful though....
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,
Hitec HS-65MG dimensions will fit into the servo holes for wing, rudder and elevator but You have to carve 1 millimeter in length of servo plywood mounting since the Hitec servo is 1 mm longer then a Futaba S3153MG that is an exact fit in the hole. That is easy to do.
I see that the Hitec servo does not have rubber grommets but it should be OK since vibrations is very low in an electric plane (if you balance the prop carefully). I prefer servos with rubber grommets with eyelet from underside in the grommet hole also on electric planes, but that is me.

/Bo
Thanks for the info. I did not know that the Hitec servo does no have grommets...

Would digital servos be better for this plane?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:50 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
As a rule, digital servos hold better (less blowback) and center better. I started using digital servos in my pattern planes several years ago. The price has come down on them, to where it doesn't break the budget to equip a plane with them.

I agree with bossee, about using plastic geared servo's on the Elevator and Rudder. On these surfaces, I think that metal geared servo's would be better. In fact, I use metal geared servo's on all the surfaces. That's just me. Plastic geared servo's will stay tighter, longer, But are easier to strip the gears.

I've mixed analog and digital servo's on some of my planes, Without any ill effects, But normally, I use all digital.

J
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
In fact, I use metal geared servo's on all the surfaces. That's just me. Plastic geared servo's will stay tighter, longer, But are easier to strip the gears.

J
Thanks for the post.

One query; how quickly do metal gear servos start to be less tight that plastic geared servos?

Is it noticeable when flying?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:34 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Homesick Angel,
I suppose that depends on the linkage, the load that you are putting on the servo and the quality of the servo itself.

I had HiTec 5245MG servo's on the ailerons of my Osiris 62, and after one season, I had to replace the gear set in one of them, I've got Hyperion Digital MG servo's on all surfaces now and they have been fine after two seasons.

You should check your servos frequently, and If there is any play in the servo arm, you should either replace the servo or the gear set. Slop in the linkage due to play in the servo will cause problems, If severe enough, It can cause flutter and loss of control of the plane. At the very least, it will be almost impossible to trim the airplane properly. Return to center is very important in a pattern plane. If your servo's have play in them or won't return to center, you are not going to get consistent flights out of that plane.

J
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
Jim

Thanks. Much appreciated. I'll check my servs from now on!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,403 Posts
I was able to purchase JR386 servos from infinity hobby online at a reasonable price.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Sep 12, 2014, 03:15 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
281 Posts
Hello friends, I need some help, I crashed my S30e and I damaged the entire wing mount and all the structure inside the fuselage related to wing mount. I want to repair it but I don't have all the broken pieces and I would need a plan/drawing of the wing joiner parts to cut them fromk balsa/plywood.....
If by chance anyone have some drawings, please let me know....
Thank you !
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro