SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
There is so much legacy stuff in this hobby. It's hard to understand why so much of it is allowed to persist.

What's going to need to happen is a combination of the old crowd dying off, and the Chinese manufacturers to bring some fresh ideas in.

Because the old crowd just isn't getting it done.
Who is this old crowd you refer to, and what makes you think they have any say in the matter of servo connectors?
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:59 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
HEY....if it was easy....everybody would be doing it !
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Who is this old crowd you refer to, and what makes you think they have any say in the matter of servo connectors?
Heh hehe hehehhe. No kidding. He must have read some threads about clubs on RCG. cn has most of my money, and the 70+ guys don't have too much to say about it actually. I don't think China was interested in RC till about 20 years ago. If there are 'legacy' connectors, it means a lot of people are still using them.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:47 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
your not ruining your servos by cutting a bit off the plug.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:58 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
btown would have had a fit 100 years ago when automobiles used different fuels, different electrical systems, unique lights, odd size hardware.

If btown would abandon this hobby for just a little while and go into restoring antique bicycles, he'd be overjoyed to come back to the relative simplicity of 21st century RC.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Last edited by DustBen; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'm sensitive to the OP's complaint. I've been in the electronics/high tech biz since the 1970s. But as I enter geezer-hood, I'm finding it difficult to assemble servo extensions by hand... which is no minor issue, as I have two builds stalled for lack of servo extensions, and I'll be damned if I pay $2.75 apiece for a nickel's worth of wire, pins and plastic. So now I'm waiting on a delivery from Hong Kong, but the Chinese are all busy celebrating, so I'll be waiting for some time.

Anyhow, I'm too cheap to mess with anything branded "Futaba" so that's not my particular problem du jour. Just venting a bit. Been snow-bound for days and haven't flown in a week. Grrr.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:24 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,166 Posts
As one of the 'old crowd', it occurred to me that Futaba got it right, and all the rest were just too lazy to copy a good idea.

Ever plugged a servo into a Rx the wrong way round ?, or had to dig out some information on which way up a connector should go ?.

Ever plugged a servo into an extension lead the wrong way round ?

Can't do that with Futaba stuff

So why the hell do I use JR and Spektrum
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2012
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spog View Post

Apple has a huge market share with their proprietary i-crap. It doesn't seem to bother most people.
The Mac computers only have a 7% world market share.

The iPhones are losing market and do not hold the biggest share.

The iPad share is about 50% and dropping like a rock.

When a choice is offered, "most" people shy away from Apple.

And iCrap is a perfect name.
Electrofish is offline Find More Posts by Electrofish
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,929 Posts
Why don't we get mad about various brands or RC systems and their proprietary receivers2.4GHz receivers, yaas i know that each says that their technology is better than the others and that cheapy receivers are being hacked and sold.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:44 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
As one of the 'old crowd', it occurred to me that Futaba got it right, and all the rest were just too lazy to copy a good idea.

Ever plugged a servo into a Rx the wrong way round ?, or had to dig out some information on which way up a connector should go ?.

Ever plugged a servo into an extension lead the wrong way round ?

Can't do that with Futaba stuff

So why the hell do I use JR and Spektrum
You got me thinking .... and laughing!

The guys who insist on using a key on their servo connectors tell us that Model Match is stupid for radio systems.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:22 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Anybody remember 5 wire servos. Or servos the had their electronics integrated in the receiver. Those servos cost abot 1/4 of other brands. Then there was Heathkit and Kraft and Proline and who knows how many others.
We're pretty lucky these days. For the most part we have but two types to worry about--Futaba and so called universal. With about a minute of effort there is only one type.
Life is much simpler today.
BTW that type S29 servo is about 25 years old. I still have some S28's that are still very serviceable.

BM

proline
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You got me thinking .... and laughing!

The guys who insist on using a key on their servo connectors tell us that Model Match is stupid for radio systems.

Andy
I have reversed universal plugs before, but in over a decade of computer radio use I have not tried to fly an airplane on the wrong model.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
536 Posts
Ford parts don't fit on a Chevy. A little research goes a long way..
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:20 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
I have reversed universal plugs before, but in over a decade of computer radio use I have not tried to fly an airplane on the wrong model.
That's a great record. Unfortunately, there are thousands of us out there that can't say that.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
I have not done it in the last decade, but I did it twice in the decade before that. Model match is a great safety feature.

Pride goeth before eventual human error...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel