HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What is your interest in ALES XC competition
What a ridiculous idea! Are you kidding? 1 1.64%
OK for some, but not me. 2 3.28%
Iím interested, but only if Iím not penalized for using my motor for a safe off-field landing. 13 21.31%
Iím interested and prepared to take a zero flight if I power up anywhere on the course. 40 65.57%
Great idea, Iíll help put rules together and run a contest. 11 18.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Gil, did you CD all the events at each Nats in Vincennes, or were you the Event Director? Cause the ED can fly in anything.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:53 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
650 Posts
CD/ED/Scorer/grunt

Marc, all the above. In 90 I had some great help from NSS membership,especially Don Stegall, Bob Massman, and Wayne Wimbish. 92 saw some CD help. 93 it was pretty much just me. That was the year it was supposed to be at Lubbock, Texas and they lost the site at the last minute. I had a few locals for setup, and alot of the same faces we see at the NATS today volunteered at Vincennes. I was actually appointed through NSS as the SIG, but that volunteer crew was what lead to LSF taking on the role with the move to Muncie.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
Last edited by Gil Gauger; Jan 25, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
'93 was my first year, but I thought that was Vincennes from the get go. Nank was there, Henry Bostick and other riff-raff. I knew you did a lot work down there.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:57 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,531 Posts
Yeah, 90-92 were the formative years for what is now the AMA-LSF Nats. Gil and Stump first working together, with the equipment brought and manned by Michigan flyers. Yeah, I was there on the flight line working a winch, probably why I still do flightline today.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:25 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
How about thinking a little different and add efficiency to eXC? In my opinion thinking of a electric motor as a "winch in the nose" is not taking advantage of the interesting options it offers.

Here is one possible idea that could be fun--using the same logging devices that are being used for F5B gliders, measure the total electrical energy used to complete the task.Using energy and time combined to determine the score would make for a interesting event. In addition landing off field would be unnecessary since the motor could be restarted to get out of a bad situation making more areas available to eXC than are to winch launched planes.

The energy information can be easily read from the onboard logging device or can also be sent down to the ground by telemetry using the data link built in to newer radios or by a separate transmitter. I have been flying such a device for nearly a year in my F5B glider and it works fine. In the stand alone version only 2 connections are needed to the power leads between the battery and controller.

Electric power could open up eXC to other planes that would not normally be considered a XC suitable. Smaller planes like the Aspire and other F3J planes could be pressed into use by those wanting to give XC a try.

Steve Neu
Wow!!!!! GREAT idea!!!!!
Using total energy used to complete distance and speed,,, very cool
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74