HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,122 Posts
If you want to add 72 MHz radios, I would offer the Airtronics Infinity 1000 ... programming far beyond it's time frame.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,340 Posts
This is the radio you would recommend to a new pilot as their first sailplane radio? Are they available used? I have never heard of that radio.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:45 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
I loved my A9 - the easiest to program system I have ever used.

I also have the DX18 now that they have sliders (the DX8 would have been plenty had they done sliders). The cool think with the DX18 is there are several who are providing nice template here for full house gliders. You can download that then upload to the radio and have 98% of the hard work done for you. Now that Horizon has released the Mystique I suspect they too will release a good template for the DX8 and DX18.

It is not as easy to program as the A9 but has the advantage of being able to fly all my planes including the BNF stuff.

I so wanted a Spektrum module for the A9 - alas it never came. HobbyKing just released the "Minima" version (spell that no telemetry) receivers but not many reports on them. But nice to get an 8ch RX for under 25 clams - if they are as reliable as the Orange.

So DX18 is my nod - especially with all the BNF stuff. But A9 a close second and if they don't care about the BNF stuff - it will work just fine.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
This is the radio you would recommend to a new pilot as their first sailplane radio? Are they available used? I have never heard of that radio.
I guess you haven't been around all that long. Yes, they are available used and their programming is similar in feel to the Visions but far, far more powerful.

Stylus is another 72 MHz radio that is a worthwhile upgrade to a 2.4 GHz module.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Most of us who've been around a bit (even if not very active) know the Airtronics Stylus and Vision were one of the full house radios of choice for some time. I had a Vision for a long time and as 72mhz went, they were the bomb if you could not afford a Stylus and Glider card.

For example there is a Vision on eBay for $135.
http://r.ebay.com/yXLIwu

I'll simply mention that for reasons pointed out by an owner, the DX-6i - which I was considering, was not easy to setup for a full house glider because the programming is really for powered planes and heli's. I was thinking DX-6i as adjunct to my SD-10G just for Bind n Fly stuff (like a Blade Heli). I wound up finding a JR9303 2,4ghz for $200 on eBay and it works perfectly. I spent $100 more than a used DX-6i but now I have two VERY capable transmitters. No one was disparaging (or meant to) the DX-6i

Here's a 9303 2.4 that will probably go for around $200 to $250
http://r.ebay.com/GQz8Xm

* Neither are my auctions. I am simply saying I would not hesitate to tell someone who wanted to get into full house ships to look for a used ATX or JR on eBay

BTW: I finally picked up two used blade heli's and wouldn't you know it, they come with a DX-6i! I'll be sell that puppy.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
538 Posts
For non US residents don't overlook the Multiplex 7 channel Cockpit Sx, has a dedicated glider mode with all the glider mixes you need, inc 3 flight phases, programming is halfway between Mpx and Asian radios. Tx is quite light and really comfortable to hold and great with DLGs. Telemetry on the M link is really well implemented, you don't need a separate sensor station the sensors just plug into the Rx and you can daisy chain together multiple sensors. Telemetry Rx's give signal strength and battery volts.

I still use my Cockpit Sx on 35 mhz and would have got an M link one if I didn't have a Royal Pro M Link

PS I back the advice to get a Dx6i for the BnF stuff, I wonder how many Dx6i's Horizon have sold on the back of the BnF stuff.

PPS Sanwa (Airtronics) are like rocking horse droppings in the UK, not even sure if they are imported any more
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,933 Posts
+1 for the Cockpit SX.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I guess you haven't been around all that long. Yes, they are available used and their programming is similar in feel to the Visions but far, far more powerful.

Stylus is another 72 MHz radio that is a worthwhile upgrade to a 2.4 GHz module.
Nope, not very long. This is my 9th season flying anything. I know the Vision and the Stylus but not the Infinity 1000 you mentioned.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,326 Posts
I had an Infinity 600 and liked it a lot. A big improvement over the ToysRUs look of most transmitters of the era. My only complaint was it was so heavy. It felt like it was made of lead. My next transmitter was the Cockpit MM, the opposite extreme from t he Infinity. I just wish my Evo was that small and light. I still have a Cockpit that I am considering converting to 2.4 with XPS. for my RES models.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
RISC - SCRCC - AMA member
United States, RI, Warwick
Joined Apr 2010
150 Posts
I got back into this insanity about 3 years ago after a 40 year vacation. Started with the cheap ready to fly radios that came with the plane, worked up to Spektrum and RDS 8000. I found some extra bucks laying around and bought a SD10G and an Aurora 9. I like them both very much, the A9 a little more. I know everyone has different tastes but I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.I don't think I need both but don't think I could give up either one. I like the reasonable rx's of the Hitec and the touch screen. I think they will outlast me.
bluzjamer is offline Find More Posts by bluzjamer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I had an Infinity 600 and liked it a lot. A big improvement over the ToysRUs look of most transmitters of the era. My only complaint was it was so heavy. It felt like it was made of lead. My next transmitter was the Cockpit MM, the opposite extreme from t he Infinity. I just wish my Evo was that small and light. I still have a Cockpit that I am considering converting to 2.4 with XPS. for my RES models.
I had an Infinity 600 as well. Best 'fitting' or 'feeling' transmitter I ever had. Just felt right. However it was the Infinity 1000 that was the better Full House radio. I used the Infinity 600 for electrics and RES. I mean RES is almost any radio right?

I knew of the Cockpit because I am a long time subscriber to Quiet and Electric Flyer International. Tray radios make so much sense. Alas apparently real men (aka USA people ) don't fly them.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:48 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
I have used my Eclipse 7 since around 2005. Started with 72 mhz then I switched over by attaching a module to it.

I am not a competition pilot but still wanted a fully loaded radio at a cheap price. The eclipse is still a cheap glider radio (that will also do standard aircraft and helicopters too), it has many nice features and one of the nicest features is that it has telemetry built it to tell you when your RX pack voltage is low. There are two distinct chirps- one for the TX battery low, and one for the RX battery low
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:10 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto View Post
I have used my Eclipse 7 since around 2005. Started with 72 mhz then I switched over by attaching a module to it.

I am not a competition pilot but still wanted a fully loaded radio at a cheap price. The eclipse is still a cheap glider radio (that will also do standard aircraft and helicopters too), it has many nice features and one of the nicest features is that it has telemetry built it to tell you when your RX pack voltage is low. There are two distinct chirps- one for the TX battery low, and one for the RX battery low
I almost bought the Eclipse 7 when I decided to go for the Futaba 9C. I did not know it had any kind of telemetry for the receiver pack. Or is that a feature of the 2.4 HGs module you added?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,436 Posts
I've already recorded my experiences with the A9, but this weekend, I pulled the Optima-6 receivers out of two of my DLGs, and replaced them with the Hitec Minima-6E.

I had to buy the Hitec HPP-22 (roughly $20), download the Hitec software that goes with it (a matter of a minute or two), and follow the instructions (available on the Hitec RCD site). Upgrading the transmitter took about 30 seconds, upgrading the module (seperate from the transmitter) took another thirty seconds, then I downloaded and printed the new instructions for the Minima-6 receivers.

Binding the new receivers took two tries, one to figure out the proper procedure (get that steady blue light on the module, first), then another to actually do the job.

The new receivers work just fine. Airplanes previously bound still work just fine. The Minima-6 receivers save about half the weight of the Optima-6 receivers, and half the space, besides.

And... no BODA to clutter things up.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:37 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post

The new receivers work just fine. Airplanes previously bound still work just fine. The Minima-6 receivers save about half the weight of the Optima-6 receivers, and half the space, besides.

And... no BODA to clutter things up.

Yours, Greg
But sadly no telemetry.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member