HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
Marblehead Rule

It would seem from the following paragraph that the AMYA adopted the International Marblehead rule in its entirety, except for using American, non-metric lengths and weights. Further details could undoubtedly be obtained from the long standing AMYA Class Secretary.

"The M Class has a large base, with over four hundred competitive models in existence. It is sailed in most areas of the country. Competition is available from club level to national level, and even international level. As an international class with the same rule as the rest of the world (except the measurements for AMYA are in inches and pounds), members can attend regattas abroad. They can also take advantage of several excellent foreign suppliers."

Often checking with the existing authorities can clear up an issue. Mr. Goodwin's e-mail can be found at the AMYA website.
RodACarr is online now Find More Posts by RodACarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:49 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,136 Posts
The last time I spoke to Standley Goodwin about building a M to International standards and racing here in the USA, he said no problem. The only differences are the International is in metric, the US is in imperial (the measurements are the same either way). But there is keel depth restriction on the International. That's it.

Personally, I think we should just use the International rules and be done with it. Metric rulers are really inexpensive BTW. Most of the time you just have to look at the other edge of Imperial rulers.

This is one of four R/C sailboat classes that have international standings with the ISAF (Marblehead, One Meter, 10 Rater, A-class) so we really shouldn't "rock the boat" per say.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
USA, MI, Ortonville
Joined Sep 2006
36 Posts
Ozmun Magic Dragon M fin and bulb

I recently purchased an Ozmun Marblehead from a club in Ohio ,that was helping a former member's widow clear up her fleet. i was given a fin and bulb that went with the above mentioned hull. Turns out it was from a US1M fin/bulb. The widow reported nothing left.
I am looking for dimensions for a Magic Dragon fin/bulb. There are two reinforced holes in the bottom of the hull that would accept two 1/4" studs off the top of the fin. These are 1.5" apart. Anyone have a MD that could trace the fin and weigh it for me? Any help appreciated.

Frank V
fvracerone1 is offline Find More Posts by fvracerone1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
The rules posted on the AMYA site went into effect in 1998. These rules differ from the 10R class rules, which specifically state to reference the international rules or the IOM rules which are copied from the ISAF site. FWIW the international rules went into effect in 2002.
The international rules also prohibit the practice common in some US classes of reissuing sail/hull numbers. International regattas are limited to 6 rigs, not sure that there is a limit for US regattas.
In regards to Dicks question, the rules would suggest that you cant build a hull with a beam of less than 100mm.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:41 AM
gp.
gp
South Aust.
Joined Aug 2006
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
I recently purchased an Ozmun Marblehead from a club in Ohio ,that was helping a former member's widow clear up her fleet. i was given a fin and bulb that went with the above mentioned hull. Turns out it was from a US1M fin/bulb. The widow reported nothing left.
I am looking for dimensions for a Magic Dragon fin/bulb. There are two reinforced holes in the bottom of the hull that would accept two 1/4" studs off the top of the fin. These are 1.5" apart. Anyone have a MD that could trace the fin and weigh it for me? Any help appreciated.

Frank V
Found these contact details on the AMYA links page,have a great day
Ozmun Design
Large arm winch. Aluminum masts, tear drop shape with bolt rope slot.
419-433-3025
gp. is offline Find More Posts by gp.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:15 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
In regards to Dicks question, the rules would suggest that you cant build a hull with a beam of less than 100mm.
Thank you.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
By the numbers..
New AMYA Quarterly magazine just came out.
Looks like the M class has gained 1 member since last check.

More importantly, In the last magazine, there were 259 Ms registered.
Looks like there are now 270 registered.

So we've gained 1 member, who happened to have 11 Ms!
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
Those number don't mean very much, they only count the number of people that have the class listed under their personal profile.

I am the Registrar in the USA for the IOM class and I can tell you for a fact that the numbers are wrong. AMYA does not use the data from the Class Secretaries.
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Those number don't mean very much, they only count the number of people that have the class listed under their personal profile.

I am the Registrar in the USA for the IOM class and I can tell you for a fact that the numbers are wrong. AMYA does not use the data from the Class Secretaries.
Well then, it sounds like the AMYA and class registrars should get on the same page.

Anyway you want to slice it, the whole point is the M class is a big class. If the numbers are wrong, they aren't off by a hundred, making us small.
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
My point is that the numbers shown are probably smaller than the real world count. I agree that AMYA should contact the class secretaries to verify the numbers. You know how those computers are...only as accurate as the information fed into them.

I would say the M class is bigger than what is shown.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,174 Posts
Would seem to make sense to have the class memberships on a central database so that a quick count (electronically) was possible. I have a feeling that a lot of classes may have their number of members kept on a sheet of paper, index card box, etc. - and as can be seen by some of the class articles in the AMYA magazine - getting info from some secretaries is like pulling teeth.

I would think that the accurate count of class members/registered boats would be a 2-person responsibility - AMYA Secretary and AMYA Treasurer.

Just a thought.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:05 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
898 Posts
AMYA Treasurer
control collection/disbursal of AMYA funds
submits an annual financial report
keep bank accounts for the AMYA

AMYA Executive Secretary
(in part)advise exec. board on yacht class status

AMYA Class Secretary
reports roster of registered yachts to the exec. secretary.

it is SOLELY the job of the individual class secretary's to maintain the records
of their class-that's what they are supposed to do.
in their defense though, imagine the record keeping that has gone on since some of these classes were started-as you said,index cards,etc.
however,these days we can assume all the class sec. are going to be computer
friendly, perhaps whats needed is just a excel data sheet they can transfer
their current info to. OK, the top 6 or 10 classes will take some time to do, but
half the classes have 100 people or less. it's time to get this info in a form
that can just be imported as a attachment.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
One basic problem is that the members need to tell their Secretary when there is a change in the status of their boat..sold, scrapped, whatever.

I have well over 600 IOM's on the data base and if the owners don't tell me when something happens I have no way of knowing, same problem AMYA has. Plus I also know of a bunch of IOM's that aren't registered.

Back to the Marblehead discussion, the AMYA database is a subject for it's own Topic
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
My point is that the numbers shown are probably smaller than the real world count. I agree that AMYA should contact the class secretaries to verify the numbers. You know how those computers are...only as accurate as the information fed into them.

I would say the M class is bigger than what is shown.
This could be said for ALL Classes.

The Majority of People can't be bothered with nor involved in the "professional" R/C Racing Scene.

I know of several fleets of Boats (in many classes) that operate quite nicely by doing their own thing.

Multi Class Fleets have some very interesting racing. Just need to Handicap The Boat & Skipper to balance out the end result.

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
One last comment and then back to Marbleheads.

I hardly consider registering and measuring a boat as being "Professional".