UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic

Key Features
-AS3X System for outstanding precision and 3D flight
-6-Channel DSM2 Ultra Micro AS3X RX/BL/ESC unit with Spektrum technology
-Full four-channel control with steerable tail wheel
-Performance Linear Long Throw Servos
-High-output 180BL, 2500Kv brushless outrunner motor
-Efficient E-flite 5 x 2.75 propeller
-Fully enclosed battery for clean looks (battery not included)
-Rigid construction for better handling
-Detailed paint scheme with brilliant graphics and a tinted canopy

Overview
The E-flite UMX™ Beast® 3D is a totally new experience in all-out 3D flight capability and satisfaction from an amazing aircraft that doesn’t need any more space than a small park, yard or indoor gym to be enjoyed. Enhanced with the AS3X System, the UMX Beast 3D is specifically set with an aft CG and large control surface deflections for maximum maneuverability. However, instead of handling that feels super-sensitive, the UMX Beast 3D, with the AS3X System, flies ultra smooth, even in conditions considered windy. Plus, you get locked-in precision and the outstanding control authority necessary to perform 3D more confidently. Designed by aerobatic world champion Quique Somenzini, this authentic UMX re-creation of the full-scale Beast delivers precision aerobatic and 3D excitement with the kind of stability and authority more in common with aircraft many times its actual size. And you get all the benefits without having to spend a lot of time programming. No mixing is required – just add your Li-Po battery, bind to a basic DSM2™/DSMX airplane transmitter setup, and the UMX Beast 3D will instantly offer you the best flight experience possible.

Name: UMX 3D Beast.jpg
Views: 277
Size: 28.6 KB
Description:

Name: UMX 3D Beast 2.jpg
Views: 264
Size: 22.9 KB
Description:

Name: UMX 3D Beast 3.jpg
Views: 285
Size: 35.1 KB
Description:

Name: UMX 3D Beast 4.jpg
Views: 280
Size: 20.5 KB
Description:

AS3X technology - Control the Air (10 min 10 sec)

Eflite UMX Beast 3D
ElIntocable is online now Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Last edited by ElIntocable; Oct 20, 2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Updated information
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:16 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
21 Posts
I've been so close to ordering the old beast at a discount but thought i'd wait to see what arrived today. Not sure what to do now, go for the old beast or get something different like a polecat until December? I need a micro now as my last one fell victim to my dog.
arcturus1 is offline Find More Posts by arcturus1
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:20 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus1 View Post
I've been so close to ordering the old beast at a discount but thought i'd wait to see what arrived today. Not sure what to do now, go for the old beast or get something different like a polecat until December? I need a micro now as my last one fell victim to my dog.
Well, I have the original UMX Beast. But after the tragic accident, I retired it for nostalgic reasons. I will definately preordering this one. I say get the original, if you can find one. Be sure to tie your dog up next time!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:29 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
I likes the new trim scheme...that dull gold was horrendous to mix n match...nice high viz underside as well.....

Verr classy...glad to see the wee Beastie lives on!

So who wants my NIB V1.......?
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:14 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus1 View Post
I have a nib beast that I will probably be selling. I bought it as a second backup. Haven't thought of price. PM me if you want

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:20 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Let's trade Jab.....lolzzzz!

Uh-oh...bidding wars!! yikes.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:53 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
i dont get it, whats different other then the new color which i appreciate the white on the bottom cause to many times i lost orientation of my beast at times so the white is a nice change, but what else is different? flys better??? full 3d manovers??? if its 3d why isnt it listed under 3d planes with the 3d foamies along with the extra 300 and 4site????

I like it like i loved the old one but is the only thing thats changed is the white added and the words AS3X and 3D are added to it?
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:54 AM
Joined Jul 2010
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy351 View Post
i dont get it, whats different other then the new color which i appreciate the white on the bottom cause to many times i lost orientation of my beast at times so the white is a nice change, but what else is different? flys better??? full 3d manovers??? if its 3d why isnt it listed under 3d planes with the 3d foamies along with the extra 300 and 4site????

I like it like i loved the old one but is the only thing thats changed is the white added and the words AS3X and 3D are added to it?
Well, for one, it's listed under the Ultra Micro Extreme because that's what it is, along with the UMX 300 3D and 4site. The original UMX Beast and Sbach are capable of 3D, however, you have to be extremely quick on the sticks. Even Mike McConville said this (the designer of the Sbach). Horizon doesn't market them as 3D because 99.9% of people aren't capable of the quick stick movements required to 3D the Sbach and v1 Beast; and they don't want people complaining and trying to raise a stink. Because they are calling it (the new UMX Beast) 3D, it's 3D. There is no hidden agenda, just honest marketing.

This new Beast has a system (I'm thinking gyro) to allow for 3D flight and smoother flight in windy conditions. So, with that said, they took the already kick arse Beast and made it even better.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:31 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
My name is binaryclock, and I approve of this release by horizon.

However, I was getting rather fond of the extremely hard challenge of trying 3D with the old Beast. You know I'll be getting one of these because I'm Beast crazy!

Horizon, I'll be glad to review it for you if you want to set me up with a pre-store version
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:43 AM
Joined Jul 2010
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
My name is binaryclock, and I approve of this release by horizon.

However, I was getting rather fond of the extremely hard challenge of trying 3D with the old Beast. You know I'll be getting one of these because I'm Beast crazy!

Horizon, I'll be glad to review it for you if you want to set me up with a pre-store version
Yeah, I can hover my v1 Beast for a few seconds. A slight breeze made it easier. I'm so stoked for this new one.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
Well, for one, it's listed under the Ultra Micro Extreme because that's what it is, along with the UMX 300 3D and 4site. The original UMX Beast and Sbach are capable of 3D, however, you have to be extremely quick on the sticks. Even Mike McConville said this (the designer of the Sbach). Horizon doesn't market them as 3D because 99.9% of people aren't capable of the quick stick movements required to 3D the Sbach and v1 Beast; and they don't want people complaining and trying to raise a stink. Because they are calling it (the new UMX Beast) 3D, it's 3D. There is no hidden agenda, just honest marketing.

This new Beast has a system (I'm thinking gyro) to allow for 3D flight and smoother flight in windy conditions. So, with that said, they took the already kick arse Beast and made it even better.
thanks for clearing that up for me, makes me extremely excited now i will defiently have to start saving for one some time down the track, i could never hover my beast but could do most other 3d tricks, and if its true what there saying then wow i am very excited, another hope i have is that they flight speed can still be fast at top speed but the low speed is a bit slower then V1 to allow for indoor flight (i fly in a small indoor arena) V1 was just to wild for indoors very excited cant wait
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:59 AM
Joined Jul 2010
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy351 View Post
thanks for clearing that up for me, makes me extremely excited now i will defiently have to start saving for one some time down the track, i could never hover my beast but could do most other 3d tricks, and if its true what there saying then wow i am very excited, another hope i have is that they flight speed can still be fast at top speed but the low speed is a bit slower then V1 to allow for indoor flight (i fly in a small indoor arena) V1 was just to wild for indoors very excited cant wait
No problem Keithy. The AS3X system is going to allow for some cool stuff. I can already here the nay sayers; "it takes away from the experience", "it's cheating"... blah blah blah. LOL!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:06 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,332 Posts
What a GREAT idea using the MCPX FBL giro to help stabilize these little guys from unwanted input. That's like flying on a sim with no wind and perfect setup. It adds a level of trust that helps you push your skills out to the edge. I have the original Beast and Love it. But when seeing the AS3X video of the Beast hovering forces me to pre-order the version 2. I can't wait to see them come out with an Extra or another mono plane 3D plane as well. This is GREAT! Can't wait.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
No problem Keithy. The AS3X system is going to allow for some cool stuff. I can already here the nay sayers; "it takes away from the experience", "it's cheating"... blah blah blah. LOL!
I am one of those guys that feel like that. But after careful consideration that this is a micro and not a larger plane, and with that even a slight wind of 5km can ruin your aerobatic or 3D experience, I accept this new version with arms wide open.

When I first started flying the Beast I flew it WOT all the time, 50 feet up. You don't need to be good with the Beast to fly it WOT 50 feet+ AGL because winds really won't affect you that much unless the winds exceed 15km/h. But at 15km/h+ you shouldn't be flying a UM anyways! But once I started getting good with it, I started flying it just above stall, close to me at around 20 feet away and 5 feet off the ground. When flown like this, any winds that exceed 5km make your life hell. There is absolutely no way you can stop a gust or change in wind direction from rolling the Beast and putting it off track in a loop or aerobatic maneuver. I got really good at using the rudder at the top of my loops to correct how much the wind threw me off and used the rudder in loops to try to offset the total yaw, but in reality it was near impossible to make it look anywhere near passable for precision aerobatics when there was wind. When it was calm I could fly this thing like it was a larger plane - no problems. But 5km-10km? Meh! I take my super cub out instead.

But now with this new system, it sounds like 5km to 10km won't ruin my day anymore, or at least at worse make it somewhat-passable with wind instead of completely throwing your flight completely off.

I always wondered why they never showed the Beast doing awesome 3D stuff in their original marketing videos because after a summer I realized I could do it (not great but I could do it) so why wouldn't they showcase that? Now I understand that they didn't want to give people false hopes in thinking 3D was a possibility without tons of flights of practice. The Beast was just WAY too unstable compared to other airplanes for 3D. This makes me look in awe with videos from Tominator (amazing rolling harriers,) CountSLK (jaw dropping precision aerobatics with the UMX Beast,) who made flight with the Beast look easy.

So in the end I'm treating this new system as a tool to assist with wind. Remember it is an ULTRA MICRO, and with that comes the fact that it's very squirrelly and wind will just ruin our day. Any 3D with this means you have to be extremely lightning quick on the controls and sometimes it's just impossible.

Viva la new 3D Beast
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:36 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
I have to say I love it, I can fly 3d all day on a sim, but I have limited time to put into setup, mixing, and flight time to actually get to fly aerobatics as much as I would really like to. I can knife edge most of my planes, but they have always been up there, and any sort of breeze always puts me off.

As far as as3x for stability goes, its going to make it a completly different plane to fly. I was thinking about buying a used or discontinued beast just cause the price should be right now, but I cannot see paying $40 less for the same plane (size and scheme) when the new one is going to fly 100% better than the original.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet