HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Discussion
Wind vs. UM - UMX ?

This morning I flew Beast in light winds 0-5 mph and had lots of fun. Tonight I was bored so I was flying MSR heli off back deck in my yard and in 0-5 mph gusts it was like trying to control dragonfly on acid . Much fun but I dont think I would not put up my Corsair or even Beast in air. I would fly Sbach but land in grass. LOTS of fun trying to get MSR heli to go where I want was just too funny. Wind gust were in Sbach or Stryker zone !! What plane would you fly in gusty winds ?

Nick
nickimde is offline Find More Posts by nickimde
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Well according to Weatherbug, our winds are gusting out of the S up to 23 mph. Winds in general are at 5 to 10. I had my Ember II out tonight. It got interesting at times but I flew for almost a half an hour without a single crash. For the record, I don't believe the gusts to 23 but I do believe they were gusting around 10 mph at times, and wind over 5 mph was common. (I just checked MSNBC and they had my winds at 14 mph - I don't believe that either). These planes can handle more wind than you would think, once you get real comfortable with them.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:50 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
I <3 the Ember 2 when the wind is just strong enough that you can fly into it and the plane stays in one place. Well, I love it for a few minutes until it gets boring.

So far, I think my Sukhoi and Beast handle wind the best. I be the Stryker would be a champ. I have an Sbach that I think would be as good as or better than the Sukhoi, but I've only flown it once and that wasn't in the wind.

The mCP X handles wind pretty well. It stays in virtually the same place left/right and forward/backward, but gusts will send it up/down.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...035605&page=89 see post #1325
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:46 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,016 Posts
The Sukhoi seems to handle strong winds really well once you get used to it. It's fun to "surf" the wind with these little planes!
Firehawk989 is online now Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:48 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
My 2S sukhoi xp, the SBach and my homemade flying wing (all of my air fleet). If the wind is real bad then I just throw my flying wing and hope it comes back.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
been using the stryker in pretty strong winds without much issues.
also the mCPx works in relatively strong wings too (albeit not nearly as strong) while the mSR is unflyable with even just a little wind
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:39 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Sbach and beast both fly great in a little breeze. Flew my sbach maiden today in probably a 10mph breeze and it didn't even phase it in flight. Bounced around a bit on landing approach but with power on approach the plane still settled smoothly on the runway.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
The Beast and Sbach will handle the winds, but they aren't very fun to fly in winds because precision aerobatic maneuvers end up looking choppy, unorganized, and unimpressive.

The best time to fly UMs is early morning just went the sun is coming up over the horizon. There usually is zero wind and this time in the late summer from 6:20am to 8:00am is prime time for UM flying. Just get your coffee machine ready and loaded to go the night before, wake up at 6am, turn the machine on, get your coffee and go.

After experiencing the calm mornings and how precise the UMXs are at this time and calm winds, you'll never fly again in any winds about 2km
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:38 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Lol yeah binary I love flying early morning on the way to work. Just getting to the point of too dark to fly before work this time of year. had some awesome flying mornings a couple weeks ago but just not working this week. Calm evenings or even slightly breezy ones will just have to do for me now.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:56 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickimde View Post
What plane would you fly in gusty winds ?
There's just nothing that slays wind like a flying wing. There are some guys that abhor flying wings and others that don't fly anything but flying wings, but even if you're not a flying wing fan it's still good to have one around for days that are just too ugly to fly anything else. I have one of Acer's 24" wings ( http://www.speedwing.net/ ) and have flown it in over 30mph winds. It could probably handle even more than that, but it gets hard to stand in place once wind gets close to 40 mph

If you're talking about ultra micros only, then the Stryker gets the nod IMO. It can fly in over 20 mph winds, but it does get tossed around due to its light wingloading.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright