SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:47 AM
Joined Jun 2006
255 Posts
Discussion
Micros

Anyone try combat with the micros? I'd live to with a p-51? Recommendations?
xweapon is offline Find More Posts by xweapon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:52 PM
Smashin Foam like a vandal
USA, SC, Blacksburg
Joined Jun 2010
32 Posts
what kind of streamer would you pull?

I can imagine that old cassette tape ribbons would probably be the only thing light enough to not bring one of those little guys down
sjuapseorn is offline Find More Posts by sjuapseorn
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:28 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,457 Posts
You can get 1/4" wide tissue streamers.

http://www.theatrefx.com/store/comme...dard_streamers

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joe Dunfee
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
I did some experimenting with indoor streamers. I never got a plane that was able to cut ribbon reliably, only tangle in the prop. However, I didn't really put a lot of effort into it.

An idea I didn't test would be to point the propeller tips, which would reduce the surface area, and speed them up a bit. The point would keep the outer diameter the same and so maintain the velocity at the tips.

Since I was using the Cyclone, I also figured that I could enhance the scissor-like action of the propeller against the wing. The challenge was to keep the ribbon from getting towards the hub. I figured a wire loop would do it. But the plane I had was so under-performing I didn't want to try the added weight.

The old thread was http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107304.

I have had one other idea, even if it is not going to be viable for my RTF planes. Use party poppers and fire them electrically [ available at Target for $10 per 72 poppers ]. However, I doubt they would fire forward enough while under speed. I bet you would tend to get caught in your own fired streamers. Perhaps they could be aimed backwards with the goal of getting in front of your opponent and tangling their prop with the streamers. But, getting in front of your opponent is not the normal goal of combat.

I still like the idea of nerf-missiles that have streamers. The airplanes would have protrusions on the wing tips designed to snag the streamer.

Even if the airplanes don't have the missiles, it might be fun to use one of those USB missile launchers.

Joe Dunfee
cadcoke5 is offline Find More Posts by cadcoke5