HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:33 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
So I built my 2nd Sky Surfer, a Bixler V1 and lost it on it's first flight into the mangroves. The mangrove never gives up it's dead. Ordered a Bix V2 that night to help relieve my sorrow and unlike the Bix V1 It's not a 'Unbox' and start in on a long list of modifications product. It's as if they read everything on this board and did it.

People must have a creative outlet to have a creative mind even if it's mowing the lawn and weed-eating to perfection. Creative expression is among the last things we have left at the end and it's essential for good mental health.

For some building the plane is everything they get others to fly it, scale fliers. Then the pilot gets to fly it (to scale), and he is the man in the cockpit during that moment and he experiences his creative life. There is a lot more to a hobby than a pass time.

I got my AMA card and joined the R/Seahawks flight club of Cape Coral, FL. and we have a world class air field. The club provides flight trainers and school starts next week.

Been going to the field for a while before joining the club.

A senior flyer I talk to told me to "throw away everything I got and get a proper trainer, gas, lots dihedral. He flies jets and he hates electric foam planes.com

Called the Chief trainer as instructed and had a good long conversation. He said and I'm doing it tomorrow, "get a proper Transmitter and I will assign you a trainer or I will do it" Tomorrow I will pick up a Spectrum DX6i with three receivers for 189.00 (club discount + sale), then I can call him back, tell him I've got a proper trainer plane (63" Cessna 182) and a proper TX a Spectrum DX6i. He was telling me in the most gentle terms. 'If you can bring this stuff to your first day at school, then we will help you' . He told me I could bring my plane over to his house. He said my place is a RCrepair shop there's always something going on.

As to the new V2 SS coming. At my field (saying my field, and it's true, is something for me now) the glider pilots fly undisturbed from first lite till 12:00 on Sat and I would go and set in my truck and watch and listen. The 'Cheerleader', who always hollors out "great landing Chuck" is becoming a friend, when I told him I just lost my plane, He offered to give me his Easy Star 3 ch plane. From the man who told me to throw away everything I have and get a proper gas trainer each of them are now helping me.

Observation of the obvious,

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
So I built my 2nd Sky Surfer, a Bixler V1 and lost it on it's first flight into the mangroves. The mangrove never gives up it's dead. Ordered a Bix V2 that night to help relieve my sorrow and unlike the Bix V1 It's not a 'Unbox' and start in on a long list of modifications product. It's as if they read everything on this board and did it.

People must have a creative outlet to have a creative mind even if it's mowing the lawn and weed-eating to perfection. Creative expression is among the last things we have left at the end and it's essential for good mental health.

For some building the plane is everything they get others to fly it, scale fliers. Then the pilot gets to fly it (to scale), and he is the man in the cockpit during that moment and he experiences his creative life. There is a lot more to a hobby than a pass time.

I got my AMA card and joined the R/Seahawks flight club of Cape Coral, FL. and we have a world class air field. The club provides flight trainers and school starts next week.

A senior flyer I talk to told me to "throw away everything I got and get a proper trainer, gas, lots dihedral. He flies jets and he hates electric foam planes.com

Called the Chief trainer as instructed and had a good long conversation. He said and I'm doing it tomorrow, "get a proper Transmitter and I will assign you a trainer or I will do it" Tomorrow I will pick up a Spectrum DX6i with three receivers for 189.00 (club discount + sale), then I can call him back, tell him I've got a proper trainer plane (63" Cessna 182) and a proper TX a Spectrum DX6i. He was telling me in the most gentle terms. 'If you can bring this stuff to your first day at school, then we will help you' . He told me I could bring my plane over to his house. He said my place is a RCrepair shop there's always something going on.

As to the new V2 SS coming. At my field (saying my field, and it's true, is something for me now) the glider pilots fly undisturbed from first lite till 12:00 on Sat and I would go and set in my truck and watch and listen. The 'Cheerleader', who always hollors out "great landing Chuck" is becoming a friend, when I told him I just lost my plane, He offered to give me his Easy Star 3 ch plane. From the man who told me to throw away everything I have and get a proper gas trainer each of them are now helping me.

DJ
Sounds like my Brother in law. "If it isn't a Nitro it isn't a "real" RC plane". That's how I ended up with a Tower Hobbies 40 Nitro trainer.

I don't have a problem with using a gas or nitro plane with a 72mhz radio. It is fun to fly but it isn't the only game in town. Foam planes can be used as a trainer too.

It does sound like you are getting support and hopefully you start to enjoy this hobby. Having someone to help you out makes the bad days go better.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Sounds like my Brother in law. "If it isn't a Nitro it isn't a "real" RC plane". That's how I ended up with a Tower Hobbies 40 Nitro trainer.

I don't have a problem with using a gas or nitro plane with a 72mhz radio. It is fun to fly but it isn't the only game in town. Foam planes can be used as a trainer too.

It does sound like you are getting support and hopefully you start to enjoy this hobby. Having someone to help you out makes the bad days go better.
Eagle, I tried it my way (learn to fly on your own), I'm over that.

DJ
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Eagle, I tried it my way (learn to fly on your own), I'm over that.

DJ
I am glad it is now working out for you. Having someone to help is a good way to learn.

Once you get a few hundred flights under your belt You'll be able to do it blind folded.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:33 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,040 Posts
Quote:
A senior flyer I talk to told me to "throw away everything I got and get a proper trainer, gas, lots dihedral. He flies jets and he hates electric foam planes.comDJ
When he first started flying what did he fly. Balsa obviously by the sound of it. But time has moved on and for us who have grey hair, the thing to learn is hand-eye co-ordination and it will be slower than the senior you were talking to who sounds like he was a youngster when he started - and can't remember it.

So you fly something cheap with a cheap Tx & Rx and break things and it doesn't matter. What matters is getting in the hours in the air. This is where a club often loses. Meet once a week where as some of us can fly any time during the day, get time in the air, often when it is calm.

Those "experts" so often forget the basics and I often think you need to talk to someone (applies to lots of "sports") who is just past the "beginners" stage but still remembers it.

Quote:
throw away everything I got and get a proper trainer, lots dihedral.
What does he think a Bixler is? It's a proper trainer with lots of dihedral. Flies slow and steady and can also be thrown round the sky. I was out yesterday, gusting near 20 knots at ground level, be 30 kts at the altitude I was flying at. The Bixler looked like a seagull, wings flapping in the turbulence at full power into the wind.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
Many years back on one of my first Easy Stars, I suffered the same unexplained dive. I had crashed a couple of times earlier, but with no apparent damage. This time it, like yours, went into a steep dive and litterally lawn darted iself in a freshly plowed field next to where I fly. I took it home cleaned it up, worked all servos, and all appeared fine. Then just before launching again, I worked the elevator and that is when I heard the elevator servo gears make a funny noise and lock up tight. When I took the servo apart a couple of the gears (Hitec 81) had stripped during an earlier flight/crash. You may want to check this out.

Just a thought.

Jack
Jack,
I think I figure out my problem with the nose dive. I went to power setting on my DX6i and found that it was some how set to EU!!!. I have set it to US and range tested it before but looks like I must have inadvertantly set it back to EU some how. (My 5 year old also likes to play with that roller). With EU, I only got 10 paces on the side of the plane when it nose dive. With US, I got up to 40 paces!!!. I don't think I can crash any worse and very surprise that I only got what I consider relatively minor damages (canopy broken where servos are installed; motor mount broken off, broken wing tip and that's it!!). I resurrected my Bixler from this worse nose dive on Friday and she it ready for flight tomorrow. Bixler 2 will have to wait...
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
Jack,
I think I figure out my problem with the nose dive. I went to power setting on my DX6i and found that it was some how set to EU!!!. I have set it to US and range tested it before but looks like I must have inadvertently set it back to EU some how.
Don't have that problem with an Elcheapo HK Tx. The T6AV2 has 6 ch, dual rates and that's it. Turnigy 9x compatible if you really must.

Note that Sculptor, cheap works without being fussy for beginners. Sounds like your club needs to priorities what beginners actually need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:36 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
ccsj
Here's a couple of posts re DX6i power settings
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1653397
I changed my UK sourced DX6i to the US power setting and never had any range issues. Bought a 2nd hand DX7 as needed more model memories and had a fly away. Now have a DX8 (lost my DX7 in a fire) but UK sourced versions don't allow users to change to the higher US power settings. So far, so good but not really tested at any distance as still building up my fleet (also lost 20+ models in fire)
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
I'm trying to find a motor for the bixler.

Would this be suitable?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

If not what else would people recommend?
CyberSprite is offline Find More Posts by CyberSprite
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
795 Posts
Quote:

DJ
Seriously!?

This is why I fly on my own and refuse to join a club. I can fly what I want, when I want to and dont have to worry about other peoples biases or ego. That kind of attitude is why RC clubs and the AMA are going extinct.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSprite View Post
I'm trying to find a motor for the bixler.

Would this be suitable?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

If not what else would people recommend?
That should work
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
Seriously!?

This is why I fly on my own and refuse to join a club. I can fly what I want, when I want to and dont have to worry about other peoples biases or ego. That kind of attitude is why RC clubs and the AMA are going extinct.
While I agree I want to fly what I want but if Sculptor has the opportunity to have someone mentor him regardless of what he fly's I feel he should pursue it. He will learn more form others then trail and error by himself.

Maybe he can get some of the hold-backs to start looking at foam planes in a better light.

I say good for him for trying and finding help.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
While I agree I want to fly what I want but if Sculptor has the opportunity to have someone mentor him regardless of what he fly's I feel he should pursue it. He will learn more form others then trail and error by himself.

Maybe he can get some of the hold-backs to start looking at foam planes in a better light.

I say good for him for trying and finding help.
Thank you Eagle for that. I got thinking about The R/Seahawks club and field and the people I've met so far - and I like it and them.

I ask the man who said "thro all that stuff away", "How long have you been flying" he said "52 years". He was one of those people that started out with a big pile of papers called 'Plans' and built an airplane and it flew and he crashed it and fixed it.

Tried to imagine how thru his interest and creativity he became a highly respected veteran of the 'Remote controlled airplane'. So he now watches people like me show up with a box from UPS via China, glue it together and fly it (simplified I know) There could be feelings like 'He doesn't deserve that and he's paid nothing into the sport' and now he's older and instead of feeling and experiencing his contribution to the sport he feels irrelevant now.

I'm going to treat this man with the level of respect that he deserves because He deserves that and we will share as much as we can.

DJ

PS; I picked up my "Proper " transmitter" and am reading the Manuel now WOW!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,040 Posts
Quote:
I asked the man who said "throw all that stuff away", "How long have you been flying" he said "52 years". He was one of those people that started out with a big pile of papers called 'Plans' and built an airplane and it flew and he crashed it and fixed it.
Thought so (52 years). I started earlier than that and had to do it on my own as we were out in the country with few to talk to about model planes. I read books and shared what knowledge I acquired. Now I'm back into it (model aircraft) I realise there are two things - flying and building. Not being able to do the first makes the second a bit pointless in the end. I also appreciate the changes in technology that make life so much easier and more fun.

Quote:
So he now watches people like me show up with a box from UPS via China, glue it together and fly it (simplified I know) There could be feelings like 'He doesn't deserve that and he's paid nothing into the sport'
Jealousy. He needs to remember the relevant bits - being able (skill) to fly. Building ones own can come as interest grows. As it is I still sketch my own plans and build, and read, and try to gain some flying skills (and wait for the next package from China).

Quote:
I'm going to treat this man with the level of respect that he deserves
So what else has he done? What other things (not necessarily model planes) has he designed and built? Or has it become a dead end for him?

Quote:
I picked up my "Proper " transmitter" and am reading the Manual now WOW!
Now you are into computer programming. Been there too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
thank you eagle for that. I got thinking about the r/seahawks club and field and the people i've met so far - and i like it and them.

I ask the man who said "thro all that stuff away", "how long have you been flying" he said "52 years". He was one of those people that started out with a big pile of papers called 'plans' and built an airplane and it flew and he crashed it and fixed it.

Tried to imagine how thru his interest and creativity he became a highly respected veteran of the 'remote controlled airplane'. So he now watches people like me show up with a box from ups via china, glue it together and fly it (simplified i know) there could be feelings like 'he doesn't deserve that and he's paid nothing into the sport' and now he's older and instead of feeling and experiencing his contribution to the sport he feels irrelevant now.

I'm going to treat this man with the level of respect that he deserves because he deserves that and we will share as much as we can.

Dj

ps; i picked up my "proper " transmitter" and am reading the manuel now wow!
+1 :d