HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:38 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Hi fellas - and "fella-ettes" if there are any here.

Sorry for not getting back here sooner. But alas! Time didn't allow me to. This working for a living really sucks.

The problem - hardly any forward speed - still seems to be there. But... I ventured into "advanced mode" and it seems to be better there.

I'm just wondering if this would be normal?

As far as the video goes... um... that's sitll a work in progress.

OH... don't think I mentioned this... but I changed the blades thinking that the little nicks in them may be slowing it down. But such is not the case. I'm glad that I didn't trash the blades I took off because I'm sure I can use them again. And yes... I did mark them as "upper" and "lower".

I'm also proud to say that I just finished a flight... and not one crash.

Bobby
bubbaloo158 is offline Find More Posts by bubbaloo158
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Yup, I understand all that and made it perfectly clear I just want to see what my own experience with this will be and that I'm not recommending my practices to anyone... and will report my findings as time goes on whether they are positive or negative. And I did say just because I haven't experienced anything negative yet doesn't mean it's not coming... but also that I have at this point already got what I personally consider to be an acceptable amount of flights out of my lipos compared to what they cost me if they were to go south on me from this point on.

I want to paraphrase something I said and make it clear that I'm not suggesting people here in this forum are OCD'ing about the lipo maintenance for no good reason, but that excessive OCDing about things that aren't always universally true in other forums I spend time in is what motivated ME to put certain things to the test here in this one... to be clear, I am aware of the consequences others have experienced, and I'm also willing to accept those consequences should I eventually experience them myself to satisfy my curiosity... I'm not suggesting someone else should be willing to accept them too.

Again, some people's reported negative experiences are obviously valid ones and it would be wise for others to take those into consideration... and I'm in no way trying to tell anyone they should disregard that or that they should follow my practices if they aren't willing to accept the possible negative results... that isn't the purpose of my posting my experiences so far.
Well said. I got myself in a bit of a trouble in another thread, saying the similar things you said. I got a lot of resistance to say the least. Partly, because I am not as eloquent as you are. Too bad, you live No of 49. Otherwise, I would ask you, "Are you running for President?" I'd vote for you!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
The wobble itself doesn't surprise me though and to me it actually seems logical and inevitable on a coaxial design...Someone can tell me if I'm wrong on this.
That seems like a great explanation.
Mine still wants to drop, but it seems that with more available throttle "throw" I'm able to deal with it better.
You definitely need to be ready for it. Just like you need to be ready for it to climb when making a right turn.
A quick video. :

Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Jan 13, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Yup, I understand all that and made it perfectly clear I just want to see what my own experience with this will be and that I'm not recommending my practices to anyone... and will report my findings as time goes on whether they are positive or negative. And I did say just because I haven't experienced anything negative yet doesn't mean it's not coming... but also that I have at this point already got what I personally consider to be an acceptable amount of flights out of my lipos compared to what they cost me if they were to go south on me from this point on.

I want to paraphrase something I said and make it clear that I'm not suggesting people here in this forum are OCD'ing about the lipo maintenance for no good reason, but that excessive OCDing about things that aren't always universally true in other forums I spend time in is what motivated ME to put certain things to the test here in this one... to be clear, I am aware of the consequences others have experienced, and I'm also willing to accept those consequences should I eventually experience them myself to satisfy my curiosity... I'm not suggesting someone else should be willing to accept them too.

Again, some people's reported negative experiences are obviously valid ones and it would be wise for others to take those into consideration... and I'm in no way trying to tell anyone they should disregard that or that they should follow my practices if they aren't willing to accept the possible negative results... that isn't the purpose of my posting my experiences so far.
I dont see any reason for you to not post your results, you are doing testing just like any of us here. The bold section is the big thing though. Most newbies dont know jack about flying, so they don't know that there may be negative side effects to doing something. Thats why, for me, in threads that usually deal with a lot of new folks, I just try to keep it simple and give em guidelines to try and follow. I am not trying to come down on your posts at all, I just wanted to make it clear for people just coming up, starting off with bad habits can lead to disaster later on.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
... Too bad, you live No of 49. Otherwise, I would ask you, "Are you running for President?" I'd vote for you!
LOL. I'm actually not so eloquent in some of my other forums... but we're guitar players... we're all a bunch of so we expect that from each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Mine still wants to drop, but it seems that with more available throttle "throw" I'm able to deal with it better. You definitely need to be ready for it. Just like you need to be ready for it to climb when making a right turn.
Yeah I meant to say, the one advantage to making right turns that include rudder is it will do the opposite... climb! ... which I can deal with alot better than the death plunge, which usually happens right above one of our cats who likes to sleep in front of the fireplace... and HATES my helis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
snip
I am not trying to come down on your posts at all, I just wanted to make it clear for people just coming up, starting off with bad habits can lead to disaster later on.
Oh, I know, and we do appreciate that.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 12, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Mine still wants to drop, but it seems that with more available throttle "throw" I'm able to deal with it better.
Try either shifting your battery more forward if you can, or possibly add a little nose weight. It wont fly backwards very good, but generally shifting the cg more forward will help with the death wobble.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
LOL. I'm actually not so eloquent in some of my other forums... but we're guitar players... we're all a bunch of so we expect that from each other

Yeah I meant to say, the one advantage to making right turns that include rudder is it will do the opposite... climb! ... which I can deal with alot better than the death plunge, which usually happens right above one of our cats who likes to sleep in front of the fireplace... and HATES my helis
LOL One of my cats is just plain crazy. I had a fixed pitch heli (falcon 40) that I would hover in my kitchen (kids do not try this at home!) and that stupid cat would come in there and try to smack the rotor blades while I am in a hover. Yet, I pull out the little mcx2 and he is like, oh hell no! I aint getting anywhere near that thing, and takes off running. My dogs usually will ignore the mcx2 or msr as long as I dont hover above them and shower them with air. if I hover to long over them, they just get up and leave the room lol.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Btw, yeah, I did crash it at the end of that video. LOL
I've had more hard crashes than I can count. I can't believe I haven't broken anything yet.
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:05 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
LOL One of my cats is just plain crazy. I had a fixed pitch heli (falcon 40) that I would hover in my kitchen (kids do not try this at home!) and that stupid cat would come in there and try to smack the rotor blades while I am in a hover. Yet, I pull out the little mcx2 and he is like, oh hell no! I aint getting anywhere near that thing, and takes off running. My dogs usually will ignore the mcx2 or msr as long as I dont hover above them and shower them with air. if I hover to long over them, they just get up and leave the room lol.
The reason the one cat has hated my helis right from the start is my own fault... on my very first flight with my first purchase 3 or 4 weeks ago, my Scout, I got in a panic when flying into one of our 2 cathedral ceiling living rooms that has a ceiling fan and the wash started throwing my Scout in directions I didn't want it go (toward obstacles!) so I had to kill the power and it came down right on top of him where he was laying on the middle landing of our main staircase watching it with curiosity... he bolted!. After that he would run and hide under the xmas tree every time he heard me even power it up. He's finally been getting used to my helis over the past week or so and won't runaway anymore but he keeps and eye on them. I've caught him sometimes now just lying on his back in front of the fireplace staring up at it seeming not to care anymore... but I'm sure one more accidental death plunge would put us right back at square one again
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Are there any recommended mods for this heli?
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
I have most of the mods with the exception of the metal frame. If ya like bling, I say get some but its not really needed. it may make slight differences in how it will fly but it is barely noticeable. There have been some folks that have did other mods like shortening the flybar and such, they may chime in and give ya their results. I am not really much of a mod person anyways with the exception of different batteries and maybe props and such.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
Be careful on ordering batteries. I ordered them for the MCPx2 instead of the MCX2 and they DON"T FIT!

ARRRGH!

It's all my fault, really. I did order the wrong thing. <insert forehead slap here>

I do love my mCX2, though.
MotownJG is offline Find More Posts by MotownJG
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownJG View Post
Be careful on ordering batteries. I ordered them for the MCPx2 instead of the MCX2 and they DON"T FIT!

ARRRGH!

It's all my fault, really. I did order the wrong thing. <insert forehead slap here>

I do love my mCX2, though.
There are ways to use over sized lipos. Which ones did you order?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
USA, NY, DeWitt
Joined Jan 2010
27 Posts
Who is the person with one battery and caring for it? I have a present for you! :}

Can't find the post...

Ken
kenkadish is offline Find More Posts by kenkadish
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
I apparently got the ones for the mCPx2 instead of the mCX2. they're S35 I think not S25 if that makes sense.....don't fit in the holder & don't fit in the charger that came with the mCx2.
MotownJG is offline Find More Posts by MotownJG