HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:21 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Discussion
Have I made the wrong decision??

Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on the JP Buebird elec glider I have just bought. Having got it, I then found this video on youtube:

RC BLUEBIRD GLIDER tip stall (me novice) (1 min 0 sec)

where someone says that it is a 'dog' to fly. From my first impression it seems as though it may be tail heavy and that some washout may be necessary, but I think I need more people on the case to work out I have made a bad choice

Many thanks guys,

C
Cerberus256 is offline Find More Posts by Cerberus256
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:42 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Sep 2004
703 Posts
I don't know anything about this glider, but it looks like from the video he was flying it too slow and it tip stalled (looks like several times). I've seen real planes fly like this (tip stall into the ground), so it may not be representative of the plane itself, but more of the pilots ability to fly it correctly. Or it could be as you say, an incorrect CG.
flyboy320 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy320
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Ok, thanks that regains some faith. Is tip stalling something that can exaggerated by high aspect ratio design when entering into a tight turn? i.e. is this something that could be inherrent in high AR wings that would require a certain flying style? I am moving into sailplanes from regular electric so any advice would go a long way

C
Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:36 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,122 Posts
From the video it looks like he was trying to climb it on the prop rather than on the wing ... a moderately powered plane needs airspeed to climb rather than just pointing the nose up and climbing out.

Also, he did appear to be flying far too slowly.

Finally, if it's easy to do, just twist a little washout into the wing and hit the mylar with a heat gun to help the tip stall.

I don't think it's a waste, you just need to fly it as it was designed.

Start with a forward CG and some airspeed, it will fly. Once you get it working, you can start moving the CG back and tweaking your setup.

Too much control travel on the V-tails can also be a problem, flight speed is your friend.

Best of luck ...

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:20 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,198 Posts
Two words-pilot error
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:07 PM
September 2010
United States, OR, Lakeview
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
In the video the pilot is way behind the airplane and it is being over controlled all the way. The plane looks like it wants to fly if it is handled correctly as others have pointed out. I don't think that you have made a mistake, just fly the plane like it is designed.
Outback Joe is offline Find More Posts by Outback Joe
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:34 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What they said. Incompetent pilot.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:20 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Thanks all, faith restored. I'll get started on the build soon and will try to post my progress, just need to wait for my brushless etc. to arrive now Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

C
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:39 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,419 Posts
watched the video twice. Looks underpowered, CofG could be back a bit. How much down elevator did it take to get the nose down? How did it fly hands off?

He really doesn't have any speed at all , when he flies it into the 60 degree banked turns. First thing you do, making a steep turn like that (with underpowered plane) is push the nose down, or stick to shallow bank angle. Maybe programing in some Expo would help, for shallow turns, rather than just holding the stick over.

I think a bit more nose down trim (CofG?), and more powerful motor setup would help.

Still, sad to see a crash on a maiden flight..

my 2c worth
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Mar 29, 2010 at 09:46 AM.