SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by Bellke
United States, OH, Grove City
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour View Post
I got mine used so it didn't come with a manual.
Look where the wing slides into the fuse, it's molded into the shoulder. Will show "V2" if that's the version you have. At this point I would expect that's what most people have since the V2 has been out for a year or so.
Bellke is offline Find More Posts by Bellke
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by Bariboy
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
323 Posts
I have a V1 calypso I am going to maiden soon. Is it worth flying as is or should I get a V2 fuse, do I need to add V2 rudder and elevator as well? This thread is quite large, what basic changes do I have to make to make the v1 flyable? Scott
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:30 AM
Joined Feb 2006
323 Posts
Can I buy a V2 HS and solve most of the problems? It appears the V2 HS has the shim built in. Scott
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by GTstrudl
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bariboy View Post
I have a V1 calypso I am going to maiden soon. Is it worth flying as is or should I get a V2 fuse, do I need to add V2 rudder and elevator as well? This thread is quite large, what basic changes do I have to make to make the v1 flyable? Scott
All you have to do to mod V1 to V2 is in the following post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=433

How to identify V2

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=711
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:38 AM
Joined Feb 2006
323 Posts
Great! So a 1/8" shim should do the job. PErfect! ope to get her out this weekend. Thanks. S
Old Apr 18, 2015, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by ripacheco
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bariboy View Post
It is perfectly flyable. The criticism is that it tends to sink fast after you kill the power. But you have plenty of elevator authority to tame that. Is just not as efficient.
have fun
BTW my 7 y/o flies a V1
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Apr 18, 2015, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
450 Posts
I have a V2. But it seems like it would have been an easy fix if it hadn't. I got the best aerial footage with this plane. Very stable and easy to fly.
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Old Apr 18, 2015, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by ripacheco
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,949 Posts
FANTASTIC TIP.

This is so much simpler than the mod you need to do on a Radian to rid of its own incidence issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdl1 View Post
Here is a shot of the right and left side. Still need a bit of uptrim but much better now and at the moment the CG is just at the back of the spar.

Went flying this morning (winds were 10 to 20 kmh or 5 to 12 mph). Wind was light when I started and picked up later. Getting a nice glide but still needs uptrim so for the mod I would shim perhaps another millimeter.
Found a little lift but not much. Still got 50 minutes of flying from 2 1300mah packs. Programmed in some reflex and camber and I mostly got use to flying with camber today. Think I need to add a little more in but I like how it flies with it.

Hope the pics help.
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Apr 22, 2015, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
450 Posts
Anyone mod their black hatch for FPV? If so can you post some pics for ideas. I bought a spare hatch and my first fpv setup. Cant wait to take her up.
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by PWJClub78
Joined Nov 2013
165 Posts
Calypso ALES setup Questions

I recently purchased the Calypso this last week. I would like to perhaps set it up to do ALES competition. I know this is probably a question with lots of answers if there is a Post that deals with how to do this step by step please post a link

What is the Optimum weight for ALES?
I think all the mods I am considering revolved around answering this question. I can't seem to find a straight answer. Some sites say as low as 20 to 22oz in the 2 meter Class. The flight weight on the Manual of the Calypso is 29 - 31 oz the Radian comes in at 30 oz as well. So are these glider modified to take weight off ?

Here is a list of stuff I am currently considering.

Tail and vertical stabilizer reinforcement.
Total Added weight this would add 15 Grams
The tail looks a little flimsy I was considering running a 4.75mm Carbon rod the length of rear Fuselage.

ESC Replacement stock is only 18 AMP but a near 28 grams vs a
Electric fly 40 AMP ESC at 56 grams but the Electric fly has some nice features and gives decent amount of headroom for motor upgrades. Even the Radian has a stock 30 AMP esc. Not quite sure why the Calypso ESC is only an 18.

At full power the system is maxing at 14.1 Amps and pulling 146 Watts. Seems like switching out the prop for something a little larger is common. I cannot find what the max Watts for the stock motor is. Does anyone know ? Motor upgrade recommendations welcomed as well.

Battery ?
1300 30c MAH 95 Grams vs the stock battery 1300 MAH 10c
Any thoughts here about maybe even going has high as a
11.1v 1300mah 50C EZ Flite Pro Lipo Battery its only a little heavier at 109 grams
PWJClub78 is online now Find More Posts by PWJClub78