HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:41 AM
Suspended Account
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
1,836 Posts
Damn Steve, yer U-boot kicks ass,,,, Great work with the rust,,, that's my favorit part of the modle..... I've never really thought much about subs, but Sh-t, that looks sweet.........

Hum.... here's an idea, could you use a balast chamber and control it to fill with water, or air from a tiny CO2 canister (whip its for me)by regulating this, you might be able to controll boyancy as desired, and it would make for a cool rapid accent when you blow the balist full of air....

Gene.
kriptonic is offline Find More Posts by kriptonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:47 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Hey,

Thanks Gene. You need to look at this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305684

Next sub will use the gas method for diving. Seems that works the best but this bladder system works well on a small sub like this one. Take a look. I'm going to do it for the U-Boat too.

Steve

P.S. Got your pm. thanks man.
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:06 PM
Rotherham, UK
Joined Dec 2003
186 Posts
Would a syringe, or two, attached to a servo act as a suitable ballast tank ?

Great thread, was looking at this model the other day

Joules
Joules is offline Find More Posts by Joules
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:09 PM
Rotherham, UK
Joined Dec 2003
186 Posts
Would a syringe, or two, attached to a servo act as suitable ballast tanks ?

Great thread, was looking at this model the other day

Joules
Joules is offline Find More Posts by Joules
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Thanks Joules.

I heard several people talk about that system but for me I'm going to use the Art Border RCABS system on this boat too.

I have recently converted my Kilo to this system and will update the thread later today. It's by far the most simple and inexpensive way to go for static diving.

I would imagine that might work but I've never seen anyone post pictures or the results.

Steve
Old Feb 11, 2005, 08:48 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1 Posts
Hi U812,

Put onto your site by Martin at Modelboatmayhem, great site for all things modelboatwise. Are you going to make your sub a diver? I see you have a private pond to try her out in, please let me know how you get on.
Your pics are great and I am going to have a go at this great model soon.

Best regards,

Dave Townsend
dave townsend is offline Find More Posts by dave townsend
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Dave,

Welcome to RC groups. Yes I'm making the boat a static diver now. I needed too much forward speed to get it to dive dynamic. So I'll use the same RCABC type system that I'm using on the Kilo.

Thanks again Dave,

Steve
Old Apr 05, 2005, 08:00 PM
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Apr 2005
72 Posts
Looks like a good project...I'll start it this weekend!!!!
rooster123 is offline Find More Posts by rooster123
Old Nov 20, 2005, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5 Posts
Belated questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
Well I got the rudders hooked up. I still have to replace the the plastic part that pivots the rudders on the bottom with brass as the plastic ones will never hold up. That's next.

All I did is place 3/23 brass tubing into the rudders and locked them off with a nylon bearing and a wheel collar. Then I took some small servo arms and glued them to the brass, hooked a wire between them and another servo are on one rudder shaft that hooks to the steering arm and they work.

Sorry the pictures aren't more clear but this short video should help. I'm just moving them by hand as I haven't hooked up the radio just yet. More soon.
Steve

video:

http://sneill.com/uboat/movie1.mpg

Hi,

My complements on your work. After some perusing of subconcepts, rc-submarines, and other sites I have resolved to builf my revell VIIc 1:72 in much the same way that you have. One question--did you manage to get the aft planes working, or did they remain ornaments?

Also, you mention something about making your own bearings for the rudders etc, do you have some more detailed photos?

This link is no longer functioning, do you have one that does?

thanks.
diveplanes is offline Find More Posts by diveplanes
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:27 PM
longest title i could think of
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
first sub need help

i am in the process of converting a revell viic, but its my first submarine, so im gonna make it a dynamic diver (not going to attemp any major static diving project), and i have some plexiglass + silicone for a wtc. does that sound ok? also, the rx/tx system im using is a futaba kit that came with a tower hobbies airplane. not a 2.4 ghz system, and the rx antenna is pretty long. i know the radio signal can go underwater, but what do i do with the antenna, because i want my first sub to look kind of real, and i dont what the unsightly antenna sticking up, but if i wind it up, what kind of range will my sub get? any tips?
Foche-Achgelis is offline Find More Posts by Foche-Achgelis
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
v11c help

i have just seen your conversion of this plastic kit.i have just bought the same kit and would like to do the same conversion and was wondering if you could send me more pics and advice on what parts i will need.i have built scratch built boats before but that was years ago and now i am going in for replacement knees and will be out of action for a while and this project would be great for keeping me occupied plus i would be able to take my grandchildren to park later to play with it.any help would be most appreciated.
ricksradio is offline Find More Posts by ricksradio