HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2001, 05:05 PM
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Jun 2001
5 Posts
Astro 05 vs Speed 400?

I know it is a bigger fast motor. It seems that the whole world has switched over to Speed 400 sized planes or giant geared systems. Are there any kits out there for 1400->2000 mah 7 and 8 cell power anymore? The ElectroStreak is fun, but it seems there are fewer and fewer kit alternatives for "old style" motors. The other direction seems to be expensive brushless systems on big planes or supergliders.

Any ideas? I don't feel like tossing my old motors controllers and batteries out since there is nothing to put them in anymore. All the ARFs out there are either too small or too big.
Eric H is offline Find More Posts by Eric H
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2001, 06:09 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I don't see that at all. There are dozens of kits and ARF's available for all sizes of motors. What style are you looking for?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 11, 2001, 06:27 PM
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Jun 2001
5 Posts
I am looking for a nice sport aerobatic plane. the SR plane seems nice, but is a Speed 400 plane. I would like to have a plane to practice aerobatics with, so 4 channel would be nice. I suppose a gear drive is a cheap option to expand possibilities as well. The Extras and CAPs all seem to be for small systems or much larger super systems. The ElectroStreak is nice, but a change would be nice.

It also seems I would be overpowering some of the speed 400 planes with a cobalt or FAI motor.

the speed 400 pylon planes seem to be built for speed, not aerobatics.

On the other side,is it reasonable to run a F5B motor glider on an 05 with 8 cells? They seem to be strong fast planes that would glide well but be able to do real aerobatics.
Old Jun 11, 2001, 06:34 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
An F5B model is not able to do much aerobatics besides combinations of loops and rolls, and perhaps a snap here and there.
Aerobatic 05-sized model, eh?
I was looking for something similar a while back for a friend, who's holding off on that project for a while. Let me dig up the list..
Line 'em up, guys..
..a
Old Jun 12, 2001, 11:37 AM
Tacoma,WA
Joined May 2001
37 Posts
Let me borrow your motor for a while and I'll stick it my zagi. Fun fun.
foambattery is offline Find More Posts by foambattery
Old Jun 12, 2001, 04:30 PM
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Jun 2001
5 Posts
Conversions would be ok too, but most 049 planes are too small and light to handle a big eletric system. Would a gear drive get me up to a .15 sized biplane perhaps with a 7 cell 05 system?

Is speed 600 more popular in Europe?

Eric
Old Jun 12, 2001, 05:15 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
There is an issue with cost vs. size. s400 gear is small and quite cheap. Moving to the next size up cost a bit more but the next step from there dont get equally more expensive. So when most guys want something bigger than s400 they usually get into .40 sized birds as it will cost as much as .15/.20 sized do. There are excpetions I think but not in big numbers.

Robbe have some okay WW2 stuff which flies great on 8x2400, s600 DD and 8x4 prop.
Failing to find a kit which suits your needs you could roll your own

Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jun 12, 2001, 05:21 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Eric, I have not forgotton this thread - I can't find where I the saved my list!! The reason I compiled it was that my buddy (instructor, actually) is stuck on 7 cells, so I had to come up with something that he could use his 1406/2 in. He was interested in an aerobat. On 7 cells, you'd be looking at similar airframes..
..a
Old Jun 12, 2001, 05:31 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Eric H, A conversion of a typical Glow engine powered model maybe the way for you to go. This past year I have built a Sig LT-25 conversion that I powered with a MEC Turbo Plus, AStro 05G FAI, AStro 15G. I also built a Sig 4 * 40 fopr a MaxCim, a Fiesler Storch .35 Glow -> to an Astro 15G conversion, and the list goes on. A little imagination will show you that most Glow models can be converted.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Jun 12, 2001, 05:37 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
There are a number of 1/12 scale warbirds and some 1/2a size planes that would possibly convert to a DD 05 on 7-8 cells.
http://www.sureflite.com/htms/s_kits.htm
http://www.sureflite.com/htms/s_waco.htm
http://www.sureflite.com/htms/s_baby.htm
http://www.mag-web.com/rc-modeler/hobnew/k-21.html
http://www.mag-web.com/rc-modeler/hobnew/k-22.html

Also, check out the Vortex: http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...tex/vortex.htm
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jun 13, 2001, 02:28 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric H:
Is speed 600 more popular in Europe?
Hi Eric,

I think you could be right. Don't forget that 1/2A in the US was/is for .049s, but 1/2A in UK is .09 size. That probably explains the vast numbers of 400 size designs in the US, and the fact that I saw it as far more sensible to go with 600 size in UK. I'm not entirely convinced about 600 size costing much more than 400 size (I assume that we are comparing like with like, not 400 can motors against Astro 05s) and certainly the potential performance/handling is IMHO far better than could be expected at 400 size - that's when someone says "you haven't seen my xyz 400 pylon model!

So, you want 600 size sport and scale designs for 8 cells?

I built a HH Scout after the Electrostreak, and even on 3 functions it is far more agile than the Twin Star, which has to be considered 600 size.

Twin Jet - OK, 2 x 400/480s, but the rest of the gear is 600 size.

Balsacraft Fighters?

There are some plans for this size of model, and you could look at www.modelflying.co.uk The E plans are under "silent flight" I have an Interceptor ready for covering. There is also www.traplet.com but the site doesn't show pictures of the models - I guess they have to sell the catalogues.

There are some 600 size aerobatic kits from tiny manufacturers here, but I'm not in a position to make any recommendations. I'm just wondering what might be available on the Continent.

What about drawing up an X250 at 600 size with a little dihedral to make it at least neutrally stable - but that would be unrealistic with a carbon spar.

Good luck, John

John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Jun 13, 2001, 07:17 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I couldn't find my saved list but here is the original topic that discussed an ARF for a 1406/2. My list had others added, but many came from this thread:
Best ARF for a1406/2 with Astro gearbox?
..a