HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,847 Posts
Yes, it is available. On the prototype page on the web site. As soon as one of them flies it will go into the main portion of the catalog.

charlie
manzano laser works
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:34 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Jim,
Only the front and rear formers have stringer notches. That avoids the intermediate formers showing through the covering and eliminates the risk of me getting notches in the wrong place to allow nice straight stringer runs. Nothing looks worse than crooked stringers.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 20, 2013, 02:13 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Jim,
Only the front and rear formers have stringer notches. That avoids the intermediate formers showing through the covering and eliminates the risk of me getting notches in the wrong place to allow nice straight stringer runs. Nothing looks worse than crooked stringers.

Pete
OK, got it, thanks Pete.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Nov 22, 2013, 09:42 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Yes, it is available. On the prototype page on the web site. As soon as one of them flies it will go into the main portion of the catalog.

charlie
manzano laser works
Working on it! I only have to add registrations and engine cylinders to mine, and take a few photos before the first flight of course...
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Nov 24, 2013, 07:32 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Thank you for this build thread. Your pictures are excellent and it is very helpful for me that you provide so much detail about your build. I have tried a couple build threads before but they don't provide detail that a beginner like me needs. Hope all is well with you in China. Please let us know how you are doing.

May I ask, what about the left wing being 1/16" longer than plans? That is from the laser cutting right? But it seems not a real problem?

Is it common for there to be small deviations from plans when you build a laser cut kit?

Last question for now, is this a standard kit that Manzano Laser Works offers or did you ask them to cut it from plans for

Thank you, looking forward to seeing the finished plane.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I just got home from the hospital yesterday. The plan, I suspect is affected slightly by humidity as Peter pointed out. It is very humid here in Shenzhen as opposed to where I moved from in Alaska. I allowed the wood to acclimate to the weather here for two weeks before starting the build. The wings build perfectly symmetrical, the cutting is spot on. This kit will not disappoint you, everything is top quality.

I am pretty weak at the moment, but so close to being able to fly this plane, I will continue to get the final things done, and hopefully have it in the air soon.

Zephyr also has a build over in Scale Electric Planes going right now on this plane you should check out.

Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:22 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad907 View Post
Hi Jim,

I just got home from the hospital yesterday. The plan, I suspect is affected slightly by humidity as Peter pointed out. It is very humid here in Shenzhen as opposed to where I moved from in Alaska. I allowed the wood to acclimate to the weather here for two weeks before starting the build. The wings build perfectly symmetrical, the cutting is spot on. This kit will not disappoint you, everything is top quality.

I am pretty weak at the moment, but so close to being able to fly this plane, I will continue to get the final things done, and hopefully have it in the air soon.

Zephyr also has a build over in Scale Electric Planes going right now on this plane you should check out.

Conrad
Thanks Conrad. Sorry you are feeling weak but I'm sure you are going to be getting stronger now with good care.

My masters graduate student Zhiheng Zhou lives in Shenzhen I believe. He is now applying to PhD programs in the US. Nice and smart person.

Thanks again for the build thread. I have learned a lot from it. Have you ever built from scratch, and if so, is it a lot more work to get things right?

Take care.
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2013, 04:12 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Hi Jim,

I'll answer now, hopefully Conrad will feel well enough and have Wi-Fi access to chip in soon...

First of all, 'scratch' depends on where you're from! For Pete and myself it means designing your own model and building it from available materials. For American modellers it seems to mean building from a published plan.

There's no problem in building from a plan, particularly if the plan is as accurately drawn as Peter Rake's CAD plans. If you can cut the parts to reasonably closely match the parts on the plan you will have no trouble assembling a model from your own 'kit' of parts.

You might find some small dimensional discrepancies due to the paper changing shape and also the printer used- they usually distort the plan slightly one way or another. It won't be a problem though, either build to the plan and don't worry or simply build one wing over the plan then spray the same wing on the plan with cooking oil, turn your newly transparent plan over, and build a second wing identical to the first.

I usually pin the spar over the plan, slot the ribs in place, and use the ribs to dictate where the leading and trailing edges will go. If your plan uses a notched spar, that will dictate the rib spacing.

Is it more work? Yes, you have to cut the parts yourself and there might be some minor adjustment needed to get everything lined up just right during final assembly. It's much more satisfying that building from a kit though... If you're thinking of giving it a try, go for it! There's plenty of help available here if you encounter any difficulties.

Cheers
Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Nov 26, 2013, 05:47 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Hi Jim,

I cannot say I have done a true scratch build, I have done some kit bashing and enlarged a given kit, requiring me to cut all my own parts. I agree with Rich, a true scratch build would involve say taking a 3 view drawing of an airplane with some profiles and then designing your own plane from the ground up.

The Verville Aircoach is such a high quality and reasonably priced kit, it wouldn't be worth cutting your own parts from just a set of plans, IMO.

My next build will be a kit bash of a 1958 C-45 Beechcraft that was marketed by Eureka Models over 50 years ago. This is a 50" wingspan control line kit designed for two 45-60 IC engines. It is a beautiful kit with spun aluminum engine cowls and many very nice parts, however I will build it as an electric RC. Since the kit is designed for all planked construction, I will need to re-make all the parts and build it as lightweight stringer construction airplane. A very major project for me at my level, but I am sure I can do it. But, this is not what I call a scratch build, just a kit bash with my own characteristics thrown in.

Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:02 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr41 View Post
First of all, 'scratch' depends on where you're from! For Pete and myself it means designing your own model and building it from available materials. For American modellers it seems to mean building from a published plan.
True, but then if your definition applied, the only planes you could build from "scratch" are your own designs. And by "designs" I mean from the ground up, not taking a set of three-views or other source and copying the original designers "design".

So you could never scratch build a scale model using your definition since you did not design it in the first place. I prefer ours.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:30 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Thanks Rich and Conrad. I guess I want to get to where I can scratch build American style, cutting my own parts from plans. I hope to get some plans for an Extra 300 or 260, not as classy as the planes you guys build but it's the kind of flying I want to try--IMAC.. There are kits for the size I want (around 80 - 90 inches). But they are very expensive. I don't know if I can get the plans without buying the kit. I'd rather be able to just cut the parts myself and build. Flying a $1000 kit or ARF around doing aerobatics (NOT 3D) makes me nervous. If I built the plane myself from plans, it would just be lost effort if there were an "incident.". Once I can produce the plane or parts as needed I would enjoy it more and I love having planes on my bench though I have yet to build from a kit or scratch build. I could also try different wings.

There is a Carl Goldberg Extra 300 on Ebay but it's pricey. I'm still tempted. I'd have plans for an Extra that is not designed to imitate a helicopter, but rather to fly IMAC. WhiskyKid said the CG 300 was designed for Minimac (cheaper IMAC). Then I could scale those plans as needed, and never touch the kit's parts as it's only 68". But I'd have them as examples. But as I said, it's a bit pricey.
Hopefully I'll find plans somewhere.

Thanks for the info, it's a big help. Sorry to distract from the build. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden.

Jim
RCG Plus Member