HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined Jan 2004
26 Posts
Are you considering in selling a short kit? I have a set of 1/4 scale plans that I intended to enlarge to 1/2 scale. Just finished a 1/2 scale DR I, flown 5 times and now doing all the extra scale detail.
wings2an3 is offline Find More Posts by wings2an3
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:37 AM
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
@ wings2an3 yes, then we're going to do the short kit.
this model is a reworking of an earlier model made in scale 1/4 (by profession I am a cad operator )
@ wings2an3 if you want I'm available to edit your drawings to 1/4 scale
(I love to draw airplanes)

The work continues unabated, Aldo is an unstoppable machine, unfortunately the logistics does not help us, I'll tell you a little 'how it works:
I am ruuanda (Tristan) and Luigi live in Taranto, a small town in Puglia (but that's another story ...), Aldo owner of our store model of trust, and friend, lives and operates in Francavilla Fontana. Town in the province of Brindisi (village known in the rest of Italy thanks to the "almond curly") which is about 40km from us;
Lately it works this way:
For obvious reasons we do not go in Francavilla every day, so when we go there, the main purpose is the resolution of various problems that will inevitably create in a building of this type, then in the days to follow Aldo goes on by just following my directions

When you get to a certain point in the construction, working and hard as usual but progress is seen. We're at four wings, one of which is almost complete. Continue the work of reinforcement on usoliera and begin to realize the junctions.
ruaanda is offline Find More Posts by ruaanda
Last edited by ruaanda; Dec 04, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:04 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
I KNOW about the person that flew the full scale one...

Dear Solitaryman:

The PIPE Here...Just thought I'd mention that the American pilot of the original S.E. 5a you've got in those photos...

...was Philadelphia-born pilot Joseph E. "Child Yank" Boudwin...

...and the replicated "reduced scale" man-carrying S.E. 5a repro in the first two photos is actually NOT supposed to have a Lewis gun on it for full authenticity, as Boudwin's "No.19" aircraft was only his for the last four days of the war, and that the US Air Service's 25th Pursuit Squadron got so few Lewis guns before the Armistice, that the original "No.19"...the Austin-built aircraft bearing serial number "F8010" never had one mounted on it.

I HAVE been planning on someday doing up a quarter scale version of "Child Yank's" most famous RAF 84 Squadron S.E. 5a, which bore serial number "E5937", and bore him into battle alongside Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor and Hugh Saunders on August 9, 1918 over Bertangles, France, against Hermann Goering's JG I unit at 1400 that afternoon, with Boudwin getting in his first shots of the engagement directly AT Goering that day.

That's all from my "background info" on Child Yank (who only stood 1.63 meters in height) in getting documentation for a future S.E. 5a CAD project...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:05 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,113 Posts
Excellent model will be following closely
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:08 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings2an3 View Post
Are you considering in selling a short kit? I have a set of 1/4 scale plans that I intended to enlarge to 1/2 scale. Just finished a 1/2 scale DR I, flown 5 times and now doing all the extra scale detail.
Have you done your own plans for the 1/2 scale DR1 or used another as I believe there are a few of these about the world.
Looking for something to think about after I finish my 1/2 scale Bleriot.
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined Jan 2004
26 Posts
Took GTM 1/4 scale plans and enlarged to 1/2 scale, cut, fabricated and made modes as I went along to suit my needs. GTM has now come out with a 1/2 scale short kit completely modified from his 1/4 scale kit witch is no longer made.
I still have a NIB 1/4 scale GTM DR I kit witch I will most likely put up for sale.
wings2an3 is offline Find More Posts by wings2an3
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:07 AM
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
Add a few more photos:
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruaanda View Post
Add a few more photos:
I don't think they came through...
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:46 AM
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
I think I made a mistake, sorry, here are the pictures

evidence of staining wood, and the six wings all together make impression?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,420 Posts
Love it .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Beautiful build. And only 5 weeks in. Looking forward to the next update.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:04 AM
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
I post below some more progress:

Here is the rudder:
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
This, as the horizontal is made of balsa, all the curved portions are made using the technique of lamination.

This however is the landing gear:
it has been completely made of steel, have been used precisely the rods from 8mm, flattened wires of 1.5 mm and nuts from hardware to create the hinges of the arms amortized. All parts have been welded with a torch. The wheels we use are of the bicycle wheels 20 "in diameter
Old Oct 09, 2013, 03:49 AM
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
after the summer break they begin work, we are now faced with the puzzle of the positioning-incidence wings, with the use of ladder wing
in the last picture instead you can 'see the landing gear it also a good point
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,420 Posts
Glad you're back

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon