SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:16 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Discussion
F3F Race Sites

With the 1st F3F Worlds in the spotlight right now Ive gotten to thinking about F3F sites here in the west. Over the years Ive seen F3F flown at many venues here in the west, even at Mammoth. Ive often wondered why Zulu Ridge outside of Reno Nv has never been exploited. It is an excellent big air site with extreme lift and very smooth air. Not at all hard to get to either. I may make a few trips up there this year to fly the place again. It may be the best front side slope Ive ever flown.
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
389 Posts
Shoot me a pm if you head up to Reno some time. I'm always game to check out a new slope. I'm just off 80 on the way up, and Auburn's a good place to pit stop anyways.
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:34 AM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts
Brief description
http://www.sierrasilentsoarers.com/flyingsites.html

Find out when might be the best chance for decent air, organize a 2 dayer. Build it and they will come, well maybe but it sounds like it might be worth the drive.
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:20 AM
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Yes I was thinking a site like that may be good for a larger event since it is so close to hotels, food, entertainment, airport, etc. I will go up next spring and check it out again as its been some time since Ive been there. I know some of the local S3 guys and will check with them on best times of the year to fly there. Will post in advance before I go in case others would like to chek it out as well.
Walter
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,765 Posts
I think I'm in the minority, but devoting an entire weekend for the chance of getting skunked is not for me.
That is why more and more I'm willing to commit to a weekend of winch launching over hoping for wind, especially when a long drive is involved.
I hope that in the future my situation with work changes, but for now, I prefer one day events reasonably close to my house....
If you guys get up there, I hope its "on" and take some pics to make me bummed!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:56 AM
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
That is true, but then again we all know that comes with the territory. I dont thermal fly much at all cause I dont enjoy it much anymore. Heck I dont fly anything much at all anymore! If I remember correctly Target I think I saw you at a 2 day TD event sometime back that pretty much got blown out most of the weekend. I mean some people flew but many packed it in due to the extreme conditions. Nothing in life is a guarantee I think! If I were at a 2 day in Reno and was skunked a day I could probably find an empty poker table to pass some down time, maybe even find a decent place to eat as well! Just speaking for myself here.
Walter
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:53 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,765 Posts
That's true, there IS no guarantee for weather. That's why, since time is slim for me, I want to spend it with a plane in the air as often as is possible.
Yep, it was windy at that the Fresno Spring Fling (at Visalia). But, low and behold, a couple of slope bums stayed and used their ballast sets and still had fun.
I'm just saying that I don't like the idea of more 2 day slope events far from the bulk of the F3F populace. If there is a local contingent, great. With the price if gas and my iffy work schedule, I'd rather stay local for F3F and fly one day events.
2 day thermal events are less risky for me and worth the gas and time, since the likelyhood of getting no flying in is low.
Hope to see you banging turns with the Pike one day soon.

R,
Target
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:53 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,765 Posts
That's true, there IS no guarantee for weather. That's why, since time is slim for me, I want to spend it with a plane in the air as often as is possible.
Yep, it was windy at that the Fresno Spring Fling (at Visalia). But, low and behold, a couple of slope bums stayed and used their ballast sets and still had fun.
I'm just saying that I don't like the idea of more 2 day slope events far from the bulk of the F3F populace. If there is a local contingent, great. With the price if gas and my iffy work schedule, I'd rather stay local for F3F and fly one day events.
2 day thermal events are less risky for me and worth the gas and time, since the likelyhood of getting no flying in is low.
Hope to see you banging turns with the Pike one day soon.

R,
Target
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:33 AM
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
I somewhat feel that way too but just not interested in thermal. Have spent many sessions waiting on wind that never blew as well! Hope to fly some F3F with Pike someday here, at least before I possibly destroy it in next years Davenport MOM anyway!!!
Later,
Walter