SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:38 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Thata the fuselage mold to my 1/7 (actually 1/6.8) F14D Tomcat
Wow just skimmed through the tomcat thread and it took me about 1,5h just to do that... My hat is off to you sir, I'd never have the patience and sustainability for this kind of a project.

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:06 AM
Österreich, Stmk., Graz-Umgebung
Joined Sep 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
We could go with four 4s packs for an 8s setup, but it would NOT be any lighter than a 12s setup, or a 6a setup

Now i know your going "whoaa, wait a minute, yes it would be lighter, 8s has four less cells than a 12s setup!"

True, but it still would NOT be any lighter.

The reason being, even with four 6s 5000 packs, we still had to add 6 to 8oz of lead in the nose to get the thing at the calculates CG position.

So, if we were to go to an 8s setup, we would have to add even more weight to get it to balance properly.

Cg is the Sole reason for either a 6s or a 12s setup and nothing else even considered. The airplane weights 32lbs RTF, and flew on only 12lbs of thrust. Even if the cg had been perfect on the first flight, it wouldnt of kept flying for much longer as the second setup was fan was losing power as well

Bu going to 12s jetfans, if for any reason one fan quits, the other provides the same thrust a pair of fans on 6s makes. This will atleast give us enough power to keep the thing flying long enough to make it back for landing.
Hi,
cool work!!

But one word for atention:
If you fly a TWIN engined (edf) plane and one engine dosent work (lowvolt battery cut off) - be very very careful with powerinput for the second engine!
Better use gliding mode to bring the plane in a straight way back to ANY ground

Iv you give powerinput to only one engine - the plane will fast turn around and could get loss in seconds...

I have learnd my lesson by loosing three planes this way... (A10, MiG29, Su34)

Btw. Last year i have a lot of fun with my 12s Jetfan90 twin powerd Saab105.
I use only 2x 6s 5000mah for both engines (Scorpion 3026/1000). Flighttime up to 6:30 minutes - if i wont.

Looking forward to your progress.

Regards, George
GeorgeStyriaII is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeStyriaII
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Welll.... lets see here, where and what have I been doing..

Well, Tom is getting to work on his wing panels. I think he's getting pretty far along with the Drag Rudder install night-mare, he's going out of town this weekend though, so that will set him back a bit.

For myself, well.
Both of the Jet-Fan 90's are in, the HET 700-68-1200 matched motors are in, the CC Ice2 120HV's are in, batteries are still here, the Tamjets heatsink and CF tail-cone's should be here for the weekend, and the caste link and quick connect for the 2nd ESC is ordered as well.

Essentially, everything necessary for the power system upgrade is here, except the inlet rings. I really need a HET 90mm inlet ring as that would save me some time and it transitions into the LE of the center section nicer than a Midi-fan ring..

I also cleaned up the Rx mounting and wiring layout of my horton. It was just zip tie'd to the back of the front bulkhead for the first flight, but now that it flies, i had to clean up the rats nest.

I have also been busy working on Tom's Center section.

First was cutting out the canopy hatch. this is done using the smallest blade out of the 3 piece Zona saw set (its like a small key-hole saw). A fiberglass and Carbon molded piece that mirrors the hatch is placed into position, and then taped in place. The saw is then used to continuously score the molded center section until it is all the way through, then the hatch is removed:

Then the inlets are roughly opened, leaving about 1/4" flange.

Then the 1 1/2" alignment holes for the thrust tubes are cut into the exhaust exit. The wing tubes and sockets are used along with the fan shroud to align the modified inlet ring and fan unit into the center of the inlet and outlet.

Then the Gear door's are all cut out. This is done in a similar way as the canopy, except no cutting guides are used. the upper strut doors are cut free from center section molding and discarded b/c they are provided as a separately molded component. Inner wheel doors and the lower strut/wheel door moldings are reused from the center section, so they must be cut free using the Zona saw.

Then the nose gear mounting structure is all installed:

Then the Battery and steering/gear servo mounting plate is installed. You can also see the rectangular plate that has an oval shaped hole in it that is used to hold the receiver and match box's.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:59 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
I'll send you the HET inlet ring Monday morning.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
The second center section is getting closer to being at the same stage as the first. All of the little nit-picking stuff is done. The only real construction left to do to it, is the inlet ring install (when i get them) and the fan unit mount plates.
I also made up the octopus' extensions for the 2nd one as well:

Then on the first one, I did some flite-metaling to the bottom of the inlet fairings:

Then repaired the main landing gear doors and got those back up and working again.

And then I did some more flite-metaling to the top of it. Unfortunately I ran out, so i wasn't able to finish.

Everything is on order (and shipped) to complete the upgrades for the first one, except for the new nose gear stuff. Robart has delayed shipment on that stuff due to the nose gear strut being back-ordered.
Sooo if anyone has a robart #686 trailing link strut they aren't using and are willing to part with, lemme know..
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:20 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
I'll send you the HET inlet ring Monday morning.
Got to the shop Monday morning and got the inlet ring all packaged up first thing.
...mail didn't run on Monday, Presidents Day.

Went out today though.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
thanks Julian! With everyone's help, we all may just get this thing up and running again pretty soon!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:30 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
curiosity about the instability issues with this model and edf units, this may have been covered before and i didnt see it but could you put small controlable yaw stators in the thrust tube area slaved to a yaw gyro? i may be out on a limb but just an idea.
(casual observer sinks back into the static of the thread)
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
curiosity about the instability issues with this model and edf units, this may have been covered before and i didnt see it but could you put small controlable yaw stators in the thrust tube area slaved to a yaw gyro? i may be out on a limb but just an idea.
Good question...

You should buy, build, fly and try it out and let us know how it works
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:23 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,357 Posts
Quote:

Horten IX V3 EDF mit integrierten Schubstrahlrudern (5 min 48 sec)

Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2007
231 Posts
Thrust vectoring is possible to control these EDF instability. Uwe set in some rudders inside the thrust tubes of his HO-229V3 and programmed them as a rudder. But as far as I know he was not completely satisfied with this solution. It was much better than nothing, and no tube extension were needed.

Heiner

..... ups, too late .......
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
HMM i see the similarity but im not really talking rudders persay as much as stabilizers, maybe even more of a v-tail setup that is not pilot controlled but a pure gyro system to cancel the yaw instabilities.
i would buy one in a heartbeat if it wasent so expensive, im just a humble modeler with a 1 plane a year budget under 250 bucks
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Quote:
HMM i see the similarity but im not really talking rudders persay as much as stabilizers, maybe even more of a v-tail setup that is not pilot controlled but a pure gyro system to cancel the yaw instabilities.
i would buy one in a heartbeat if it wasent so expensive, im just a humble modeler with a 1 plane a year budget under 250 bucks
That i can understand.

The issue i can see with the yaw stators, is that they are not very far from the centerline of the plane. The edf nacelles are about 9" or so from the centerline, which doesnt provide allot of leverage without some major thrust vectoring!

It would probably be more effective to use differetial thrust, but that has other consequences.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,400 Posts
good point i didnt think of that, on the same note has it been determined to be the rotation of the air exiting the duct that may be causeing the instability? or is that still in the air?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Its my personal opinion that no one really knows.