HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Mike, evidently this issue was only with the CC ICE ESC's. I have also used the Phoenix 25's
with no issues as long as they are put into the Multi-rotor mode with the Castle Link which was
firmware 4.1 Beta. Once I upgraded my ICE nd ICE LITE ESC's to 4.2 Beta, they worked flawlessly!

My AeroXcraft Quad 670 flies steady with the attitude gains at 200 and maybe it's
because my Quad is a little on the heavy side.
I only see 4.1 beta available for CC25s

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
I only see 4.1 beta available for CC25s

Al
Al, I just opened my Castle Link and connected a new, never used, Phoenix
25. A popup stated; "There is a newer version of software available & if you
want to update, go to the software tab." I clicked the tab and 4.2 Beta was
there, so just for the heck of it, I upgraded and everything worked fine. Give
it a try this way and I believe that you will be successful.
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Al, I just opened my Castle Link and connected a new, never used, Phoenix
25. A popup stated; "There is a newer version of software available & if you
want to update, go to the software tab." I clicked the tab and 4.2 Beta was
there, so just for the heck of it, I upgraded and everything worked fine. Give
it a try this way and I believe that you will be successful.
Strange ! Ok i will try again - thanks for your post

Al
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Strange ! Ok i will try again - thanks for your post

Al
Al, be sure to let me know if it works for you as it did for me.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:02 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Al, be sure to let me know if it works for you as it did for me.
Hi

First, I am not having any problem with 4.1 beta on my quad naza, but this is really strange....

See picture. I have latest 3.52.10 castle link software, and when I plug in my phoenix 25, I only have the option for 4.1 beta. I don't have the option for 4.2 beta. Anyway I have no urgent need for it but Maybe I am not the only one that is not able to access 4.2 or maybe 4.2 is only for the ice series?

Al
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
940 Posts
Al, it could be exactly as you state that the 4.2 Beta is just for the CC ICE
ESC's only. I will ask one of my pals at CC and let you know the result.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:30 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
PH-25 and 4.02

PH-25 does not have 4.02 available... It should be added soon...
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
I have to say that I am a bit puzzled here...

I have been flying my heavy lift quad for some time now and the PH-25's have been working well with the Naza at gains of 140. I recently added two more PH-25's and built a hexacopter. Several people on this forum are running my exact setup (Avrotos and the Naza). The difference is that they are running SimonK firmware and boosting gains up to 200 without wobble. Hell...I just did a test fly at 175 and it wobbles like crazy.

It appears that the Castle ESC's are still not up to the rate of the SimonK firmware. At least with the PH-25's.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Ok....ignore the post above The wobble I was seeing was actually the wind gusting in combination with the Graupner E props. I switched back to my APC SF props and jacked the basic gains up to 225 and it is getting very tight now.

This is still strange.. My quad liked 140 and this new hexa seems to tolerate a lot more. The wobbles were a lack of gain/stability not the fast over shooting type. I am going to keep going up until I see a faster oscillation.

Mike
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Ok....ignore the post above The wobble I was seeing was actually the wind gusting in combination with the Graupner E props. I switched back to my APC SF props and jacked the basic gains up to 225 and it is getting very tight now.

This is still strange.. My quad liked 140 and this new hexa seems to tolerate a lot more. The wobbles were a lack of gain/stability not the fast over shooting type. I am going to keep going up until I see a faster oscillation.

Mike
I recently ran into weirdness with the naza, and it finally came down to vibration from a certain prop. So maybe the prop change you did resolved some vibration the naza couldnt handle?
Al
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:09 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
PH-25 does not have 4.02 available... It should be added soon...
When will the next firmware date be out? I really need a data log solution for ICE.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Ok, someone explain this, I have been flying my Hex with the PH-25's and my basic gains on my Naza are set to 225 this is what I would consider very high, my quad with SimonK esc's and the Naza can only take about 140 and the oscilaations begin.

Just for kicks I jacked the basic gains up to 325 and while it was a bit tighter it still would hover smoothly. When I say smoothly I mean no oscillation one typically sees when gains are too high. I do see some movement/corrections on the arms. This is a bit dissapointing as my SimonK quad is rock solid stable, I mean no bumps or movement what so ever when in calm air. This Hex seems like it want more smoothing but can't get there.

Mike
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Ok, I need to share a few things here....

First off, this is my second attempt at staying with Castle Creations as a loyal customer. The first attempt was a couple yrs ago when Multirotors were exploding in popularity. Everyone was using China based Esc's not just because they were cheap...It was because they worked! I stuck to my guns and spent a ton of money and time trying to get the Castle brand to work. I did get the multi to fly but comparing it to the China esc equipped stuff it was no contest. I spent a ton of time talking with the folks at Castle and they gave me numerous reasons as to why their product "should" be better in this application. It wasn't....I sold off all my Caslte stuff and went China

Now, a few yrs down the road I hear about the new Multirortor firmware that Castle has implemented. I watch a few videos and hear a few comments about the improvement and decide to try Castle again. I drop about $400.00 and deck out a Hexacopter with new PH-25's, a pile of Avrotos and a Naza. The Hex did fly ok and it Armed and started fine, a huge improvement over what I had experienced in the past. This said, the Castle Esc's are still behind IMO on motor response compared to the SimonK flashed China ESC's. I struggled with my hex to try and get a "locked" absolutely no arm wobble in calm air and even when jacking the gains up to over 300 the Castles seemed slow. I swapped out the Castle PH-25's just last night and installed Hobby Lobby SimonK flashed Rapid Drive 35's on the same Hex with no other changes. There is no comparison! The Rapid drives deliver a rock solid feel and you can see and hear the motor reponse in heavy wind.

This is not me saying Hurry go by the Rapid Drives, I myself hated to make the purchase. I want to be a loyal Castle customer and I feel I have been for many many yrs. I am just a bit dissappointed that I have spent tons of money to get "better" and it just isn't happening. Bottom line...SimonK flashed China ESC's are still performing better than what Castle has at the present time. I have decided to hang onto this pile of PH-25's for a while, maybe new firmware will compete with the cheaper stuff. Until then, I have to fly China...

Sorry for the long post, I just feel that a major (quality) ESC's manufacturer should be all over this. There are people out here that will be loyal customers if the performance is there.

Mike
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
I agree Mike. I've been a loyal CC guy for over a decade. I wanted to believe what they told me concerning multi performance, so I ended up with 12 P25s for a high-end hex project. Six for the proto, and six as backup/final rig.

I thoght I covered all the bases regarding timing, setup, etc. I talked to them, and put quite a bit of effort into insuring success. First flight presented marginal performance compared to any ESCs I'd used on a dozen previous multis. Then, two motors lost sync while ramping up the power, and crashed.

Tmotor 4008-12
WooKong M

I'm now wondering were to go with this. $700 worth of ESCs, and no useful info to encourage me to try again. I'm a bit stunned with CC.
KJMDES is offline Find More Posts by KJMDES
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
No idea about how the new firm could show any improvement on multirotors. Here what CC say about the 4.02 firm:
•Functional Improvement: Added "External Governor Mode". This throttle mode is intended to be used with V-Bar units that have a built in governor. Click on blue question mark next to Vehicle Type in the Throttle section of CastleLink for full details.

Unless there are other changes which I donīt know.
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam