HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:33 PM
mini e revo basher/racer
Joined Mar 2010
178 Posts
Help!
i need design help

i want to make a boat preferably a boat that can go fast and is aerodynamic i am using white cedar pine i belive it is i have 15 board feet of it i am wanting to do this for shop class so it will be painted and sealed and all that at home

also how should i do the waterproofing for the electronics

i want the boat to be about 2 feet long
mini t king is offline Find More Posts by mini t king
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:19 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,451 Posts
What grade are you in? If the cedar pine you have from ypur shop class is anything like what we used when I was in school you'll spend most of the year trying to get it planed down thin enough to use for building a 24" boat.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:04 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
Cedar pine? there is cedar and there is pine, they are different woods, neither particularly suited to building a fast electric boat, for a boat about that size 1/16 plywood for the outside and maybe some 1/8" for the frames.
I have built an ultra light planked sailboat hull out of balsa, epoxy and very thin fiberglass cloth (called veil). It's very delicate and not suited to much speed.
You can also buy pre done mahogany stripping for scale boat building.
You would end up with a tank using pine. Use the right materials and you'll have something you can really use and have fun with at the end.
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky