HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:46 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
Discussion
depron wings

Have any of you guys tried this yet, (you must have, surely)....the grooves cut in the 6 mm depron to allow it to go around the ribs were wide open. I cut stips of 1.5mm balsa and glued them in with wp PVA then sanded them flush they gave a pretty good smooth round finish....anyway a picture tells athousand words

oh, and don't call me Shirley
gordynic is online now Find More Posts by gordynic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:04 PM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
593 Posts
Been here - mostly lurking, for quite some time and I don't think I've seen anyone try this.
Interesting idea. Must stiffen the wing nicely.

What plane will you use these wings for ?
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:38 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
got a tatty old GWS Beaver, we can't get spare parts or gws kits here in UK so I was sort of forced into building(not a bad thing). the front part of the wing is fairly rigid now but I am waiting for carbon tubes arriving in the post , I may post a picture or two when the model is a bit further along... with reference to the slots, i used a 1 mm thick hacksawblade to widen the holes, then gently pulled the front of the wing down and forced the balsa(1.5 thick) into the slots proof of the pudding will be in the eating, as they say
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:13 PM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
593 Posts
Either way, it's a good idea.
Do let us know how it works out.
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:23 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,654 Posts
Typically one "bends' the depron over a large tube Or Table edge, to form that curve.
No need to cut grooves
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:42 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
tried that , tried heating it , but it seems to give a satisfactory curve, and rigidity, will carry on and see how it goes, previously built a twins cargo where the lines were cut I put a bead of gorilla glue and spayed some water on it the when it dried carved the excess off... may try again putting the balsa fillers in when the depron is flat on the board then bending over the ribs
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:04 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,534 Posts
I've never seen anyone cut the grooves on the top of the wing. Cut the grooves on the bottom, not the top and then they close on themselves when the curve is made.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:47 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I've never seen anyone cut the grooves on the top of the wing. Cut the grooves on the bottom, not the top and then they close on themselves when the curve is made.

Azarr
you are absolutely correct sort of like the kerfing inside a guitar...i did however find it a bit like, what we would in UK call a threepennybit effect. (you would have to google that to see what I mean) but this way seemed a lot rounder, and I for one am not going to admit, that maybe I , possibly could have, accidentally by the way , put the wings on the ribs up side down. lol

Gordon
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:05 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,467 Posts
Never yet cut any grooves in my wings

I add any curvature in any 6mm sheet by rubbing the sheet over the edge of my worktable while applying pressure.

My 72" span Spitfire has 6mm lower sheet and 3mm upper, not problems. The rest, 59.5", 67", 90", (and others), all use 3mm sheet skins top and bottom.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:56 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
thanks all for the advice, I put the wing towards the plane and decided that it would be easier and stronger with a straight non dihedral wing, and the wing in two parts was turning into a pain in the butt to create, so , back to the drawing board I went. It is now a one piece wing , 46 inch span and the curve was made by using a piece of plastic water pipe as a rolling pin. wing has flaps and ailerons cut in before. I will post photos later, but the wing fits really well on the tatty beaver fuz.......
Old Mar 09, 2014, 02:34 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
got some tarting up to do with the rest of the plane