HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:45 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasup007 View Post
Does anyone run a three blade prop on their Rhapsody? I'm not sure what size and pitch to get and if there are any bad tendencies using the three blade.
Im running a 2 blade 13x8 with plenty of grunt on a P-32. I have a polished aluminium spinner for a three blade and a 14x8x3 which I wont run. I expect the best 3 blade would be a 10 inch to 12 inch....Pete
If I just want speed I run the 12x8 2 blade. I like the look of the 3 blade better though and can give just a bit of speed. I run either 11x7x3 or 11x8x3 mas props on the P-32 on 4s 5000ma packs.
I prefer the 11x7x3. It slows the plane down a bit but still has all the pull for huge loops or whatevr else you want to do.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:09 AM
United States, WI, Pewaukee
Joined May 2006
95 Posts
Hi guys,

I am wondering if there is a general consensus on the amount of expo used with this plane? I am using the power 32 set-up and plan on flying her modestly at first to get the feel of how she responds. I would have gone with the power 25 set-up however those motors were on back order and the LHS had the 32 right there.
WI53072 is offline Find More Posts by WI53072
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:27 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI53072 View Post
Hi guys,

I am wondering if there is a general consensus on the amount of expo used with this plane? I am using the power 32 set-up and plan on flying her modestly at first to get the feel of how she responds. I would have gone with the power 25 set-up however those motors were on back order and the LHS had the 32 right there.
I have good bit of expo on mine. Here is my setup.
Ail high rate= 100% throw 80expo low rate= 55% throw 55 expo
elevator high= 125% throw 75 expo low rate 50% throw 60 expo
Rudder high= 125 throw 70 expo low= 85% throw 50 expo
Sounds like a lot, but it is what got it to where I like it.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Redcliffe
Joined Jun 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

Just throwing a curve ball... Here is my Rhapsody setup.
Ail high rate= 70% throw 20 expo low rate= 45% throw 15 expo
elevator high= 100% throw 40 expo low rate 50% throw 30 expo
Rudder high= 100 throw inh expo low= 70% throw 30 expo

I generally run low rates on the elevator with mild throws of max end points. Thats plenty for me for tight loops. Just experiment a little and adjust to a setting that suits you. The setting you choose will be the same as the next guy. I generally land the plane coming in hot. One time I had to do a hard left and thought she would flip to the right. Oh no. The thing tracked beautifully in a tight arc on the ground with no nose overs.

Ensure you give up elevator gradually when landing on grass. This will keep the tail down. The spats covers over the wheels tend to act as brakes in long grass. I believe the plane wheels don't do much in long grass and the plane then rides on the spats giving a different technique to landing pulling up a lot quicker hence lots of up elevator fairly early. Look out for that one. If on bitumen no problem.

I run a P32 with 70amp dlux speedie from HK with only 3300 4S batts.

Thanks V2 for the input. I'll get the 12x8x3 and post up some shots with the aluminium spinner.
Gasup007 is offline Find More Posts by Gasup007
Last edited by Gasup007; Mar 01, 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:46 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasup007 View Post

I run a P32 with 70amp dlux speedie from HK with only 3300 4S batts.

Thanks V2 for the input. I'll get the 12x8x3 and post up some shots with the aluminium spinner.
Make than 11x8x3 or 11x7x3. Pretty sure the 12x8x3 will be pushing, or over the power limit on the P-32 on 4s.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
76 Posts
Ill get both props sir and do power test for both. You got me curious now. Let u know how it goes. ...Peter
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:23 PM
Joined May 2006
95 Posts
Guys,

The plane is almost done! I have to modify the 2-56 torque rods that connect the upper and lower ailerons as they are wayyy long. I have some solder on brass 2-56 threaded hardware I can use with the supplied 2-56 rods, should be no problem. I also have to adjust slightly the opening for the aileron servo arms as they are tight as the servo push rods rub on the ply cover just a bit.

The big project left is to fab some ski's for the bird as I live in the northern climes and there is about 10 inches of snow on our flying field. I may just get some floats I hear they do a bit better in powder snow. But I have everything here to make ski's so I think I will try them first. Any Ideas on how long and wide ski's should be? I will post pictures of my plane once the ski's are on it and ready to go.

Paul
Last edited by WI53072; Mar 01, 2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:21 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,127 Posts
The ski's sound like fun, but we haven't had the snow here to need them this year. The one time I was at the field and we did have a couple inches on the ground I heard the same thing about floats. One of the guys there has been flying nearly as long as I have been alive says he likes float better for anything more than a couple inches.
Looking at the specs from dubro it looks like they make them about 9" long by 2" wide for planes up to 60 size. You could probably get away with 8" for this size, maybe a bit smaller. No idea on what to do for a tail skid though. I think thats why the guys at the club liked floats better.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:23 AM
Joined Jun 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Guys,

The big project left is to fab some ski's for the bird as I live in the northern climes and there is about 10 inches of snow on our flying field.
Paul
10 inches of snow and here I was rambling about grass landings. Shoot me.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:20 PM
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
703 Posts
Have flown R/C on snow up here in the Great White North for 35 years. Have found floats are way better than skis. Ski tips tend to dig in on landing giving some nasty nose-overs.

Am flying floats now on an Escapade with an EFlite P46 motor and the .25 size EFlite pontoons. Back strut off an EFlite Pulse XT. Great on snow. The large tail feathers don`t need a subfin. I can lock the water rudders up at the back of the floats but their shafts are still below the bottom surface so I take them right off in the winter and rebalance the plane.

When I lived in North Ontario we had contests to see who could slide the furthest on landing. Live in South Ontario now and most guys won`t fly until it is way above freezing and the grass is green.

Have a Rhapsody set up with a P32 motor. Never tried it on floats. Does it need a subfin? Will eyeball it tonight and decide if it is worth taking the Escapade apart.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Last edited by erie_flyer; Mar 02, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined May 2006
95 Posts
Bill what size float? Better yet who is the manufacturer of the floats? I have heard this about floats before being better in the snow. Let me know when you get a chance.

Paul
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:23 PM
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
703 Posts
Paul...........the floats are made by EFlite, sold as their .25 size. They are the floats intended for the EFlite Beaver as well as their Cub and Pulse XT.

They are 28 inches long and made of fibreglass with a smooth epoxy paint silver finish, very sturdy and slippery. No gluing or finishing required.

The floats come with mounting hardware, one water rudder and a yellow subfin meant for the Cub which has small tailfeathers. Also comes with wire struts for the Cub. I ordered a second water rudder from EFlite to have more positive taxi control in the water just like full scale.

The Pulse XT comes with its own rear strut for floats which I use on the Escapade. The rear strut is anchored to the fuse by the wing bolts. The front strut is the regular main lg strut.

Looking at my Rhapsody I would say the main lg strut is basically the same as the Escapade or Pulse and would mount the same on the floats. I measured the rear wing bolt holes c-c and it is the same for the Pulse, Rhapsody and Escapade, 2.25 inch. So the rear Pulse XT brace could be used on the Rhapsody like I am doing with the Escapade if you don`t mind the yellow colour on a blue airplane. Or you could repaint it.

My main concern with the Rhapsody is it might need a subfin. You could use the subfin that comes with the floats for the Cub and repaint it white or blue.

Bill
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined May 2006
95 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the info! However, I do not know what a sub fin is?

Also, I calculated about a 9 minute flight (mixed) time based on Power 32, 60A Esc, 3S-1P 3300 maH Lipo and a 13-6.5 prop. Our flying site is at 800 feet ASL. Are my conclusions reasonable?

I think the plane will fly pretty good on a 3S bat maybe a bit tamer than the 4S I thought I had.

Paul
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:00 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,127 Posts
Quote:
Bill,

Thanks for the info! However, I do not know what a sub fin is?

Also, I calculated about a 9 minute flight (mixed) time based on Power 32, 60A Esc, 3S-1P 3300 maH Lipo and a 13-6.5 prop. Our flying site is at 800 feet ASL. Are my conclusions reasonable?

I think the plane will fly pretty good on a 3S bat maybe a bit tamer than the 4S I thought I had.

Paul
The 13x6.5 would work fine with the P-32 on 4s. On 3s though you will be well below 1:1 thrust and only have a max pitch speed of 46mph. Dragging floats on top of that could turn it into a bit of a brick. On a 3s pack I would start with a 13x8 prop to get the thrust back closer to 1:1 Still not going to be real fast with a pitch speed in the mid 50's but it will get you almost 90oz thrust so that should keep her in the air.
Last edited by V2rider; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: ...
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:07 AM
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
703 Posts
I wouldn`t personally use a 3S LiPo with a .32 motor in a plane that carries floats. Marginal power. The floats impart a lot of drag.

A subfin is placed at the rear of the fuse below the main fin to stabilize yaw control when a set of floats is put on an airplane. The slab sides of the floats tend to fight the yaw input of the air rudder so a subfin is attached at the rear to boost yaw control.

I chose the Escapade as my float plane because it has an unusually large fin/rudder combo and doesn`t need a subfin.

I have attached a digital of the subfin meant for the J3 Cub that comes with the EFlite .25 floats, part # EFLA500. There is a long narrow base that screws onto the bottom rear of the J3 fuse. The subfin is glued into the slot in the base.

Also attached are pix of my Escapade set up with the EFlite floats. Poor light this time of year for photos but it gives the idea. Water rudders removed and plane rebalanced when flying on snow. The yellow rear pontoon strut is from my EFlite Pulse XT. It is included in that kit and anchored by the rear wing bolts. The regular main lg strut is anchored to the front of the floats. The black mounting blocks come with the float kit.

You have me curious now. Might try to put the floats on my Rhapsody and see what happens.

Bill