Old Jun 03, 2015, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
433 Posts
Discussion
Dx6 + orange 615x issues

Hi guys,

Recently moved up from my dx6i and was either going for a Taranis or the DX6. I got the DX6

Here in the UK it's dsmx only so I bought a new rx, the 615x from Orange.

On dsm2 I have never had a single issue but this new set up, in my Dream Flight Libelle DLG, in the first few throws I feel a brown out and my model always lands with a light flashing on the rx.

Battery is fully charged and rx fitted into the model in the only spot it can (tight for room in dlg gliders).

Anyone else have issues with the DX6? I guess I'll have to get more rx's to test it further? I bet some of you will say I should have gone Frsky now haha

Mark
i_am_mark_evans is offline Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2015, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
18,356 Posts
What color light is flashing on the receiver? The Orange light indicates bind. The red light flashes to indicate frame losses. There is no brownout indicator (flashing orange) with DSMX (anyway, brownout is a power issue, unrelated to signal loss). Did you really mean loss of control?

The occasional frame loss is not a big deal and could reflect a poor installation (antennas blanked by battery or wiring, folded back alongside the receiver, etc.).

I presume you did a proper reduced power range test before flying and got at least 30 paces with full control. That would indicate a high probability that the issue is not with the transmitter and that it might be an installation that causes weak signal in certain attitudes.

I would not suspect the transmitter unless you experience similar issues with at least two different receivers in different models. We see lots of DX6 at our flight school and they work very well with a wide range of receivers. It's always possible to get a defective unit, but it's fairly unlikely and generally the symptoms are pretty clear (it doesn't pass the range test).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 03, 2015, 02:06 PM
Joined Jun 2013
433 Posts
Yeah on the ground, range check it's fine.

On the orange rx I have one solid light for bind and then I have the other flashing red light after a few launches.

The antennas on the rx are squashed into the model so maybe that's my issue, ill have to get one with the longer antanbas, the 615x has just the 2 short ones.

Thanks

Mark
Old Jun 03, 2015, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,832 Posts
Red Flashing followed by pause indicates number of Holds the system experience which basically is lost of signal, just one is not good.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 03, 2015, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2013
433 Posts
Yeah my bind light is solid red, then I have one other that flashes slowly.

But my antennas on the rx are squashed down in the fuselage and one does run right next to the battery. I'll try a different rx to see if that helps.

Cheers guys

Mark
Old Jun 03, 2015, 03:26 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,832 Posts
Your LiPo is completely hiding the radio signal to that antenna that's next to it that's for sure.
Old Jun 03, 2015, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2013
433 Posts
It's a nimh I'm running in the dlg but I'm guessing all batteries will cause the same issue?

I'll get my antennas away from it.

Cheers
mark
Old Jun 04, 2015, 07:18 AM
Joined Jun 2013
433 Posts
Hmmm, test today failed a range check at 20 paces =/
Old Jun 04, 2015, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
2,149 Posts
Solid proof you need to fix that antenna placement.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jun 04, 2015, 07:29 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,832 Posts
If you don't have access to other receivers, try the range test with the Rx outside the model, if it passes then you have an idea it's the installation. If it should fails again you might want to get another Rx to test and or have the radio inspected/tested by HH..

I'm with AeroKen on antenna placement.
Old Jun 04, 2015, 07:37 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
18,356 Posts
Antennas on the R615X and similar receivers must be reasonably straight and sticking out as designed. They must not be "squashed down" or tucked behind the battery, servo or any other conductive material such as CF. They must not be right next to or crossing servo wires, etc.

The receivers with short antennas are best suited to profile or foam models or ones with open wood structure and plenty of room. They don't work well in tight fuselages unless you can poke one antenna out through the side and the other into a reasonably open area.

If you can't meet these requirements, then you need a different receiver with the antenna(s) on extension cable(s). Note that the antenna proper, the part that must be clear of conductive stuff, is the last 31mm. It's usually silver colored but might be inside heat shrink on some receivers. Note that the cable is coax and fairly delicate, so should not be bent sharply.
Old Jun 04, 2015, 08:04 AM
Joined Jun 2013
433 Posts
Ahh yeah its in the nose of my dlg so squashed in next to the servo, wires, right next to the battery.

Just strange how with dsm2 and the orange rx that had just the single short antenna I never had a problem.

Orange don't make a dsmx rx with long antennas so ill have to get a Spektrum item to teSt.

Cheers guys

Mark
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by steber
Switzerland, BE, Bern
Joined Apr 2008
12 Posts
The last few days, I experienced several crashes using a DX6 and different Orange DSMX receivers in different planes. No matter if a 410X or a 615X is used, the behaviour is always the same: Brownout and dead sticks for a few seconds, sometimes the connection is re-established early enough to avoid a crash, sometimes it isn't.

When using original Spektrum receivers in the very same planes, no problems whatsoever.

Cheers

Steve
steber is offline Find More Posts by steber
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:41 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
18,356 Posts
That's not a brown out, its a signal loss. Brown outs are caused by power loss.

Were the Orange receivers working OK up to a few days ago? If so, what has changed? Have you updated the transmitter or changed your receiver set up?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by steber
Switzerland, BE, Bern
Joined Apr 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
That's not a brown out, its a signal loss. Brown outs are caused by power loss.
Sorry for the inaccuracy, of yourse you're correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Were the Orange receivers working OK up to a few days ago? If so, what has changed? Have you updated the transmitter or changed your receiver set up?
I'd say that the Orange receivers stopped working properly with the update to DX6 AirWare™ Version 1.02. Can anybody share this observation?

Cheers

Steve
steber is offline Find More Posts by steber