New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2015, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Die DX8, DIE!
Joined Feb 2013
2,302 Posts
Discussion
Started building kites, fun stuff!

Hi all, over the past couple of days i started playing with kites. My first build was one of the Singapore style kites, what a fun machine! Easy to build and flew right off the board.

The next one i'm working on is a chevron wing slope kite with fat rounded elevons. I'm going to see if i can get it to fly like an ultrabat on the slopes. So far i've got the wing finished, i just need to install some gear and start experimenting with fin arrangements in foam before i commit it to CF and nylon.

These things are a ton of fun!
Rusty Mustard is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2015, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by pardshaw
Flying one day at a time....
United Kingdom, Pardshaw
Joined Oct 2012
1,882 Posts
Hey Rusty, very nice!

What sort of weight/wing loading are you getting?

Dave
pardshaw is offline Find More Posts by pardshaw
Old May 04, 2015, 11:38 AM
Die DX8, DIE!
Joined Feb 2013
2,302 Posts
The Simple Kite weighs in just under 12oz auw, and i haven't weighed the slope kite yet, but i did fly it yesterday!

The CG was off, way forward, so i had limited control and a lot of reflex dialed in to keep the nose up, but i got about a minute or so of stick time floating in the lift. Last night i did glide tests and narrowed down the CG range.

I need a lighter battery, i'm using a 700mah LiFe rx pack, i need to solder some wires for a 300mah pack but i'm out of solder.

Even with the extra weight it's still light, probably light enough for thermals. I'll experiment with the single sheet wing for now but i eventually plan to add a second sheet of nylon and some ribs to try a proper airfoil.
Old May 05, 2015, 11:52 PM
Die DX8, DIE!
Joined Feb 2013
2,302 Posts
Simple RC Kite by davereap,,,

Flying the Simple RC Kite (5 min 48 sec)
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by brick1
United States, IL, Highland Park
Joined Apr 2011
30 Posts
Nice job, looks like it can handle a slight breeze as well. Are you gonna try to install lights for night flying? I've been curious about the singapore style kites for years, esp. for night flying.
brick1 is offline Find More Posts by brick1
Old Jun 27, 2015, 09:37 PM
Die DX8, DIE!
Joined Feb 2013
2,302 Posts
I'm lazy when it comes to lights, if i had some on hand i'd have done it already but i always forget to order lights when i'm shopping, it's not something i can't fly without so it ends up not making it onto the list of things i 'need'. That, and the cosmetic appearance of a plane doesn't even make it to the bottom of concerns when building, so adding lights just seems like paying for frivolity in weight and power.

I haven't flown the kite since the last vid i posted anyways, nothing wrong with it, but i'm a weirdo, i really don't enjoy flying, so once something works right, continuing to fly it seems pointless.

I thought having a plane that was more durable than the standard foamie would inspire me to fly more, but it ended up like all the others in the pile, flown a few times and stripped for the gear. It's too bad, it was a great flyer both on the wing and in high alpha, but it's not the craft for me.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:43 PM
Joined Apr 2011
30 Posts
That's hilarious. I'm happy to take all your "proven and therefore pointless" planes/kites off your hands! For me, the (at least theoretical, since I haven't tried it yet) benefit of lights is that it's too often too windy in my area to fly the small stuff by day, but way calmer at night. I'm envisioning a very zen-like, peaceful and yes pretty looking night flying experience. I'm sure reality will shatter that vision once I actually try it and hang my kite or plane up in a tree I didn't know was there or lose orientation 10 seconds into the flight. But I intend to find out!!!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 01:38 PM
Die DX8, DIE!
Joined Feb 2013
2,302 Posts
Haha, if there were any pilots locally i'd have them fly my planes, i'd much rather watch someone else fly than do it myself. The only kind of flying that i enjoy anymore is big air slope, but this past couple years the weather has gone crazy, the usual spring winds turned into gusty, variable crap that blows out all my spots.

Give me a good gale slamming a 1000' rock wall and flying gets fun, but anything less than that just feels like stamp collecting, a slow motion waiting game. The wings i really like to fly only come alive at highway speeds and above. There' something magical about facing nature's full fury with a few ozs of foam, the idea seems ridiculous but when you chuck it out there and it flies like a rocketplane, tearing loud screaming holes in the sky, and even leaving vapor trails and vortices in cold, snowy winter storm air, not much else in RC really compares.

Though if you're looking for quiet,calm, not flying full tilt in a hurricane force wind type zen,,,

A Day on the Slopes with the RM DarkAngel 2 Meter Wing (17 min 11 sec)

That has no spar and weighs less than 10 oz for a 2 meter finless wing. Flies in almost no wind in a balanced, graceful, birdlike way with the washerons.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 09:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
30 Posts
Rusty Mustard, I'm surprised you aren't flying turbines or EDFs (or maybe you are?) given your preference for adrenaline and gale force winds, it certainly wouldn't feel like stamp collecting! To your point on raw speed using nothing but nature, I remember how stunned I was when I got back into the hobby several years ago and googled "world record RC plane speed" and discovered the record was held not by a jet but an unpowered composite glider (well, unpowered by an engine or motor, anyway). This was the video that came up, 468mph!

Spencer's World Record 468mph Kinetic100DP flight video!!! (6 min 44 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:39 AM
Die DX8, DIE!
Joined Feb 2013
2,302 Posts
Yep, DS is seriously intense! I've seen most of those DS vids, wild stuff!

I haven't been flying any turbine/edf stuff, and since i live on the mountain i'm limited by not having a runway. Anything i build either has to slow down to land or survive a tree catch. The park in the vids is to small and tight for anything fast, so to get some sky to use up i've got to go up the mountain.

Probably more than anything else powered, prop in slot jets are fun and if you really push the limits with proximity flying. I should probably do a fast, nimble, pure delta again, like these and go fly through some trees.

Vulcan-A Tree gap action! (1 min 19 sec)

Delta 1200 Maiden Flight (4 min 6 sec)
Old Jul 15, 2015, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
155 Posts
Wow, that video of the 2M Dark Angel wing is beautiful. Can you give any more details on the build? Pictures? Very, very nice.
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:01 PM
Die DX8, DIE!
Joined Feb 2013
2,302 Posts
Here's the Darkangel thread,,,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198415

I haven't done plans for it because they're hardly necessary, it's a silly simple thing, 10oz AUW.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
155 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to Dark Angel thread. I will study the thread and videos.

Elegant.
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets