New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2014, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by MoonBlink
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Help!
HK Prince William Motor Yacht

Has anyone built the HK Prince William Motor Yacht yet? I ordered the kit and there is little information about this boat on HK and the instructions they have for download. I wonder what size shaft it is? 5mm I assume? I have never built a boat like this and wonder how I am going to make the hole (and where) for the stuffing tube and rudder. What type of glue should I use? How should I prepare the wood? Thanks for the advice and help in advance! I will post my build and pictures as I progress.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Kit_490mm.html
MoonBlink is offline Find More Posts by MoonBlink
Last edited by MoonBlink; Apr 28, 2014 at 02:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by Building One
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
You could probably do OK with a 1/8" prop shaft/ stiffing box and a Dumas rudder/ tube for that size hull. Along with their couplers and dog bone. We'll have to see what the wood looks like to see what it needs to finish it. Will be interesting to see what you have.
Building One is offline Find More Posts by Building One
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building One View Post
You could probably do OK with a 1/8" prop shaft/ stiffing box and a Dumas rudder/ tube for that size hull. Along with their couplers and dog bone. We'll have to see what the wood looks like to see what it needs to finish it. Will be interesting to see what you have.
I did find this and this might be a stupid question but how do I measure in millimeters? I have a ruler but it's in Centimeters. Being American we were taught differently. From what I understand it comes with the stuffing tube and rudder. I will post a photo when the box arives.

Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
What do I need?

1. what type of glue? or better yet what type of quick drying water proof epoxy do I use?

2. how do I make sure everything is straight and level. I have a small level (6")

3. would off the shelf varnish work for the wood?

4. where can I get a millimeter ruler?.......never mind I think I figured this part out! 1cm is = to 10mm if this si correct I have a ruler that will work.

I think it is made out of plywood.
Last edited by MoonBlink; Apr 28, 2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by tghsmith
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
2,068 Posts
10 mm=1cm exp. 134mm = 13.4 cm
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Apr 28, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith View Post
10 mm=1cm exp. 134mm = 13.4 cm
Thanks! Got it
Old Apr 28, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Here are the electronics I ordered.

HobbyKing 50A Boat ESC 3A UBEC

Turnigy TSS-10HM Digital Micro Servo 2.2kg / 10g / 0.12

D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor

The motor has a 3mm shaft and I assume the prop shaft is 5mm. Still trying to source a coupler.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
A little lost at the lack of help :/ Normally this community is very helpful and I am wondering if my post is turning people off? Something as simple as what type of glue and how to finish the wood are questions I assume can be answered easily?

I was able to find most of the info myself and posted my finding so others who might get this kit who are looking for help won't have far to look. No worries I will muddle through it and post my trials and errors along with build pictures.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBlink View Post
D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor
The motor has a 3mm shaft and I assume the prop shaft is 5mm. Still trying to source a coupler.
Hi Moonblink,

The motorshaft isn't 3 mm, but 3,17 (1/8"), a standard size, for which there are couplers available.

A propshaft of 5 mm sounds way too much for such a small boat, what did you order?
4 mm is already overkill, but having M4 thread is convenient as there are a lot of props available with M4 thread.

As the boat has the prop under the hull, even 2S is rather a lot rpm under load (14.000), cavitation may be an issue.

The HK boat looks similar to the Huntsman (minus the windshield), these models are usually a lot bigger:
RC Veron Huntsman 28 Boat (4 min 49 sec)

Rule of thumb is to have about 10.000 rpm under load for a submerged prop, realizing that with a 28 mm outrunner (or inrunner for that matter) in direct drive, will be a problem, as the small motors don't come with a Kv in the order of 800 - 900 rpm/V .

Hobbyking has a 36 mm outrunner with 910Kv, which would be ideal on 3S.
Link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=34118

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; May 14, 2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Link added.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Thanks! I didn't buy a shaft yet. The boat comes with one but there is little to no information about this boat as stated in my original post. I plan on running a 2s on it and will use dual rate to tone it down.

Just trying to figure out what type of glue to use, how to finish the wood, and some build tips. (these questions also posted above)

I appreciate the help and will post when my kit get's here.

Quote:
The motorshaft isn't 3 mm, but 3,17 (1/8"), a standard size, for which there are couplers available.
Thanks! this will help finding a coupler once I figure out the shaft size
Last edited by MoonBlink; Apr 30, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBlink View Post
I plan on running a 2s on it and will use dual rate to tone it down.
Hi MB,

'Toning down' means running permanently at partial throttle; this is something most ESC's don't like at all, they'll overheat and die...

This is the main reason to choose a motor and prop that allows you to run 80% of the runtime at full throttle.

Looking at the last picture in the link to the Prince William, I must say I'm a bit puzzled, as it seems to be one of the small ADS watercooled outrunners, the lowest Kv of which is 3000Kv, which borders on ludicrous on a submerged prop on such a small hull (the word 'blender' springs to mind):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00kv_300w.html

Something like this on 2S will be more than enough power for this hull:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...=1400Kv%20outr

If you think 'only' 10.000 rpm under load will be slow, check out the video of my MAS, running a 800Kv motor on 4S:

Motoscafo Anti Sommergibile (Italian MAS, W W 1) (9 min 7 sec)

Turn up the volume really high.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old May 08, 2014, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by GFONG
United States, NY, Saugerties
Joined Jun 2004
53 Posts
swordsman

from the picture you posted it looks very much like the swordsman if you go to the model mayhem site there is a full build article there by the gentleman who designed it, looks like another oriental rip-off
GFONG is offline Find More Posts by GFONG
Old May 11, 2014, 04:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Everything came in the mail and I spent the weekend building the kit.

1. The hardest part was creating the hole for the stuffing tube and on reflection I should of used a dremel with a cut off wheel to make the hole.

2. I used Polyurethane wood sealer to seal the wood.

3. I used 5 Minute epoxy to glue everything together.

4. The directions skipped a step (piece 11 need to be put in before gluing the deck down)

5. The motor mount needed to be move towards the bow (forward) and the ribbing needed to be cut to accommodate the motor diameter.

6. I painted the hull in black and it would scratch easily so I coated the bottom of the boat in Plasti-Dip (a removable rubber spray on coating) and I am pleased with the results.

This was the only issues I ran into other than that it went well.

There are two access points on the boat, 1) to gain access to the motor. 2) To gain access to the battery and servo.

I added two small brass hinges to both of these as well as a latch to secure them to the boat.

The Motors shaft was the same diameter as the motor and I had a coupler in my spare parts.

The water pick up is nice and large and a building tip would be to attach the fuel tubing before gluing it to the hull. I had a hard time getting the tubing on once the model was built. I ended up heating up the tubing with a heat gun to make to stretch easier and that did the trick.

Sorry I didn't get any build pictures but my description should help any builders who are interested in tackling this kit.

Last edited by MoonBlink; May 11, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
from the picture you posted it looks very much like the swordsman if you go to the model mayhem site there is a full build article there by the gentleman who designed it, looks like another oriental rip-off
Doesn't look like they make this kit anymore so whats the harm?
Old May 12, 2014, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,562 Posts
Looks great.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME