Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by Sven Golly
Sven Golly
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2014
65 Posts
Discussion
USS Makin Island (CVE-93)

I'm hoping some of you "boat guys" can help me get some information on my Grandfather's Navy service. Mrs. Golly is putting together a shadowbox with his uniform for my Mom's Xmas gift. I figured out that the insignia on the sleeve indicates that he was an airplane mechanic. He worked for International Harvester as an engineer/machinist until retirement, so that makes sense. I don't know about the gold insignia on the front.

He served on the Makin Island. The Wikipedia article has some basic info. I'll take a peek at the Bible he kept his service records in to see if I can get any new info. That book is interesting because the forward is Science and Health as his mother was a Christian Scientist.

Anyone know about this class of ships? An thoughts on something we can put in the shadowbox besides a photo of the ship to enhance the presentation?

Thanks in advance!
-Sven
Sven Golly is offline Find More Posts by Sven Golly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,370 Posts
Have some fun, look up "ruptured duck"...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:29 PM
Sven Golly
Joined Oct 2014
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Have some fun, look up "ruptured duck"...
That was fast! Thanks, Pat!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by CG Bob
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,974 Posts
The "Crow" or rating badge is for an Aviation Machinist Mate Second Class (AD2). AD stood for Aviation Devices, basically the engines used on aircraft, and their associated systems (fuel & oil). During WWII AD2 was Pay Grade 3. Sometime after WWII, the U.S. Military pay chart was revised and AD2 became pay grade E-5 (Enlisted 5).

The gold emblem on the front of the uniform is a Honorable Service emblem, sometimes embroidered and sewn on the uniform, or as a pin on device. It is commonly called a "Ruptured Duck."
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:53 PM
Sven Golly
Joined Oct 2014
65 Posts
Thanks for the details, CG Bob! Always enlightening to learn more about family history.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by CG Bob
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,974 Posts
Since your grand father was an airdale (aviator), he was most likely assigned to one of the squadrons that flew off the carrier. If you could find out which squadron he was assigned to, you might be able to locate a squadron patch.

According to wiki, Composite Squadrons VC-84 and VC-91 flew from MAKIN ISLAND. Composite squadrons usually flew 2 or more types of aircraft, usually FM-2 Wildcats and TBF/TBM Avengers. One 1944 reference lists the following aircraft for VC-84: 10 F4F-4 Wildcats; 3 FM-1 Wildcats; 5 TBM-1 Avengers; and 5 TBF-1 Avengers. F4F and TBF were built by Grumman. FM-1 and TBM-1 were built by the Eastern Aircraft Division of General Motors - under license from Grumman.

There's some more info at NavSource. The ships call sign was November Kilo Zulu Charlie. You could add small signal flags that spell that.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:58 PM
Sven Golly
Joined Oct 2014
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob View Post
Since your grand father was an airdale (aviator), he was most likely assigned to one of the squadrons that flew off the carrier. If you could find out which squadron he was assigned to, you might be able to locate a squadron patch.

According to wiki, Composite Squadrons VC-84 and VC-91 flew from MAKIN ISLAND. Composite squadrons usually flew 2 or more types of aircraft, usually FM-2 Wildcats and TBF/TBM Avengers. One 1944 reference lists the following aircraft for VC-84: 10 F4F-4 Wildcats; 3 FM-1 Wildcats; 5 TBM-1 Avengers; and 5 TBF-1 Avengers. F4F and TBF were built by Grumman. FM-1 and TBM-1 were built by the Eastern Aircraft Division of General Motors - under license from Grumman.

There's some more info at NavSource. The ships call sign was November Kilo Zulu Charlie. You could add small signal flags that spell that.
Great info and great idea! It's too bad he never opened up about this stuff when he was alive. The only thing he ever said related to his service was that he refused to buy anything made in Japan.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,249 Posts
My friend assembled a shadow box for my father who drove a tank in WWII. He used an authentic uniform, but only the part that shows where the medals and ribbons go. He also found a faded flag for the background. I still need to replace the photo in the corner with one of better quality. I would say keep it pure and simple. A brief description of his rank and medals plus some service notes would be nice as well.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Dec 01, 2014, 08:53 PM
Sven Golly
Joined Oct 2014
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
My friend assembled a shadow box for my father who drove a tank in WWII. He used an authentic uniform, but only the part that shows where the medals and ribbons go. He also found a faded flag for the background. I still need to replace the photo in the corner with one of better quality. I would say keep it pure and simple. A brief description of his rank and medals plus some service notes would be nice as well.

Dave
Great display! This is exactly what Mrs. Golly is trying to accomplish. We have two of the dress uniforms, with one hat and three of the white duck uniforms, with one hat.

That black cat patch is awesome!