Find More Posts by turbinefancy
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
884 Posts
New Product
E-flite FJ-2 Fury w/ AS3X

Guys,

I was browsing Horizon website and was pleasantly surprised to find a new scale EDF jet offered by E-flite. No details yet except the photo and its based on the BL-15 power system (70mm EDF). I'm excited to see HH finally jumping into the fray with foamy scale jets (beside the mosquito buzz UMX size). Excellent high visibility scheme, too. I wonder whether it comes with flaps and retracts. Those little spiky things seem to be hard points for drop tanks (my guess).

I can't find any info about it on the internet, or in RCG. If you are in the know, please share it here. Or redirect traffic to the "official thread"

http://www.horizonhobby.com/category/airplanes

Complete Info Here (thanks Carlos!):
http://www.horizonhobby.com/fj-2-fur...ator2_11062014
turbinefancy is online now Find More Posts by turbinefancy
Last edited by turbinefancy; Nov 06, 2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2014, 03:33 AM
Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,618 Posts
The Fury was one of the first carrier-based aircraft of the US Navy. With the FJ-2 Fury, we present now an exciting Jet EDF as a ready built model from E-flite. Equipped with a powerful 70mm impeller unit and a 15er 3700Kv brushless motor, the E-flite FJ-2 Fury goes on to peak performance. Authentic details as cockpit and pilot figure they have the original optically inferior in nothing. But only through the already installed and specially adapted to the FJ-2 Fury AS3X technology is the jet to an unparalleled scale model. The AS3X system is independent front against turbulence and flow separation. The result: you have the feeling of sitting in an aircraft professionally set, much larger.

Are you looking for real jet performance? Then the E-flite FJ-2 Fury is just right for you. All you need to fly: A 3200mAh 4S 14.8V LiPo battery, a charger and a remote control compatible with at least 4 channels and spectrum DSM2- or DSMX technology..

Control the Air
The spectrum AR636A AS3X sports receiver ensures easy handling and real jet feeling. The combination of a 3-axis gyroscope and a perfect set on the FJ-2 Fury tax software is efficiently taken against wind gusts and turbulence.

Efficient impeller unit
The 70mm impeller unit is a high-performance drive system that ensures through a 3700Kv brushless motor for maximum efficiency.

Strong lightweight
The durable Z-foam construction provides a faithful representation of details and keeps the weight low.

Removable chassis and auxiliary tanks
for a faster flight performance you simply install from the fixed landing gear and auxiliary tanks.

Features

Easy to assemble
AS3X technology for easy handling and high precision
Durable and lightweight foam construction
Authentic representation of details
Spectrum AR636A installed DSMX 6-channel receiver AS3X Sports
Powerful 70mm impeller unit with 15er 3700Kv brushless motor
Installed 14.8V 60A brushless speed controller
6 pcs. Micro servos installed
Canopy, cockpit and pilot figure
Removable fixed landing gear
Removable auxiliary tanks

Article number EFL7250
Manufacturer E-flite
Version BNF basic
Span 933 mm
Model Length 984 mm
Material Z-foam
Model Weight 1232 g
Electric motor 15er 3700Kv brushless motor
Accumulator 14.8V 3200mAh 4S 30C LiPo battery (recommended)
Regulator 4S 14.8V kompatibeler 60A Brushless Controller
Servo 6 pcs. E-flite Micro Servos
On-board electronics AS3X technology
Receiver Spectrum AR636A 6-channel DSMX-AS3X-Sport Receiver
Area of ​​application Outdoor
Skill Level Advanced

Spectrum AR636A 6-channel DSMX-AS3X-Sport Receiver
6 pcs. E-flite Micro Servos
15er, 3700Kv brushless motor
70mm impeller unit with 5-blade rotor
4S compatible 14.8V 60A brushless speed controller

all i can find on it hope i can get my hands on an early release

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 06, 2014, 03:37 AM
wishing for Tomcat...
Joined Jun 2009
884 Posts
Good to hear you chime in Chuck. Feel free to take it from here
Old Nov 06, 2014, 03:49 AM
Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
Good to hear you chime in Chuck. Feel free to take it from here
i too had trouble finding anything on this one, i got this from a German site and Google translated it for us haha

looks like there is no option for flaps and retracts? guess they want to keep the price down on this one?

almost looks like the T-28 of EDF's guessing again but maybe with the AR636 and AS3X they are looking at an entry EDF to get the new chums into the great fun EDF's are

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 06, 2014, 03:51 AM
Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
10,509 Posts
Video!

FJ-2 Fury BNF Basic by E-flite (2 min 20 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2014, 03:54 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
10,509 Posts
Official Web Site (USA)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/fj-2-fur...ator2_11062014
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2014, 04:06 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
10,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
i too had trouble finding anything on this one, i got this from a German site and Google translated it for us haha

looks like there is no option for flaps and retracts? guess they want to keep the price down on this one?

cheers chuck
Here!

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2014, 04:38 AM
wishing for Tomcat...
Joined Jun 2009
884 Posts
Using AS3X to overcome minor handling imperfections and increase wind tolerance while keeping scale outlines is a great design strategy. HH seems to bank on this to differentiate its offerings from the competition. However, not including the flaps/retracts like their P-51 seems to be a step back, in my opinion, especially under the E-flite brand. Entry level/ trainers I thought are better suited for Parkzone. Yet even the Habu 2 allowed for retracts and flaps. Although, considering the Fury's relatively small size, and powerful 4S BL-15 power system (now 3700kv vs. 3200kv previously), speed and performance trounced scale operations in design. The red & white scheme is a proven winner and caught my attention right away. I hope they sell lots!

Hmmm, wings seem droopy on the ground. They straighten out nicely in the air (with +g flight load) though.
Last edited by turbinefancy; Nov 06, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2014, 05:31 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
10,509 Posts
I really like this 'Fighter" Jet from all the others that companies have made but, your observations are in par with what my initial impressions which are:

No Flaps or Retracts at this price?

I really do hope a complete success to HH on this one but, at that price, I will pass considering no Retracts or Flaps. Its me not the model.

I am having just too much fun with my Dynam Turbo Jet of 47 inch wing span as I bought it used from a buddy and came with Flaps / Retracts and RX all for a cool $140 Cash ($169 retail without flaps). Best of all it is fast on just 3-Cells and lands like a DOLL.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Nov 06, 2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2014, 05:37 AM
Find More Posts by Schugy
Germany, SH, Lägerdorf
Joined Sep 2014
62 Posts
Need a detachable wing or an UM.
Schugy is offline Find More Posts by Schugy
Old Nov 06, 2014, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,049 Posts
Holy Crow!

$300??? Are they smoking crack?

The only thing new (ish) here is the installed gyros; other than that this is well-amortized hardware.

Hey, Horizon! Had a look around at what your competition is offering at $300 these days?

Wow. Just wow.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Nov 06, 2014, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Warbird & Jet Lover
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,375 Posts
Omitting flaps & retracts was not a price issue, it was a technical issue. They just don't fit in a Sabre/Fury of this size. We tried. And we weren't interested in significant scale deviations to make them fit, which would have been required for the wings, or destroying the integrity of the inlet, which would have been required for the nose gear.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Old Nov 06, 2014, 07:45 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Omitting flaps & retracts was not a price issue, it was a technical issue. They just don't fit in a Sabre/Fury of this size. We tried. And we weren't interested in significant scale deviations to make them fit, which would have been required for the wings, or destroying the integrity of the inlet, which would have been required for the nose gear.
You folks sell - or, did sell - some nice air retracts that, if memory serves, were 13 mm deep. Might require something other than off-the-shelf air tank, but difficult to think that couldn't be done, especially given your capabilities.

As to flaps. An 8mm thick servo wouldn't work? Or torque rod installation with the servo back in the center section of the wing?

At the price point this has been burdened with, all of the missing features are standard fare these days. What, exactly, does this offer over the new FreeWing F-86? Yes, it is smaller......

It does look good. But to be candid, so do the FreeWing and (much larger) A-RC F-86's. And they have flaps and retractables. They even have air brakes. And they're both bigger; i.e., inherently easier to see.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 06, 2014, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by swps
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,436 Posts
I too am disappointed in the lack of retracts....it would have made this a must get....but I also understand what Dave said.

Still, will there be a PNP or replacement airframe? Painted this time.

I also just noticed the motor kv is 3700, is this a new motor? Old motor options were 3200 and 3600.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Nov 06, 2014, 07:57 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
3,049 Posts
For one, I would rather have their glass F-86 back; it was cheaper, and had no retracts either.

And I realize this next comment is subjective, but the glass plane looked better. And not because the comparison is FJ-2 vs. F-86