Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
Discussion
How do you line up your stills shots without a downlink to a screen? Any tips?

I have a 550 size hex running a Panasonic Lumix compact camera on a one axis controllable gimbal. I can have it pointing anything from straight ahead to straight down controlled by a knob on the tx.

Ive been pretty much guessing where its pointing, but Im tempted to paint a straw flourescent and stick it to the camera so I may see where its pointing.

Any other tips, tricks and ideas for me?

Thanks
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,385 Posts
The plane was easy, just use the wing and shoot out the side, but this is a bit more difficult. Heres a shot from this morning. Scotland in the early morning sun...
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Calibrate the knob you use... A couple/three sticky's at the points where the camera is looking level, down some angle, and straight down.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
Does the gimbal has its own gyro and is self stabilizing? Or is its servo controlled directly by your transmitter?

Rather than a knob, use a three position switch instead. That way you only have to remember three points on your FPV monitor that corresponds to each switch position.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
554 Posts
I used a no-video system hanging from a kite for years. I used Sparky Paul's approach: I stuck pan on a stick, but stuck tilt on a knob. The knob had markers for level with the horizon, 33% down from the horizon (put the horizon on the 1/3 line of the frame), 45 degrees down, and straight down. It was relatively straightforward to set my tilt and line up the camera by eye from there.

For what it's worth your straw idea has merit, too. When I started doing kite aerial photography I used a 72MHz radio. I had the antenna wire wound around a wooden dowel that stuck out the back of the rig. I could use the stick to line up where I was side-to-side and the knob to line up where I was up and down. It worked remarkably well, even several hundred feet out.

Give the straw and knob ideas a try, and see what works out best for you. You may hit on something new that's better than both.

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict