HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:18 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
New Product
Hitec "WEEKENDER" models- these are going to be cool

So far, I haven't been able to find pictures or any discussion on this forum so it was time to get the discussion going!

I'll update this post as more information and pics become available.
EDIT: interview from the Weak Signals show added which includes pics and discussion.

Assuming they are made with the usual Hitec/Multiplex level of quality and engineering, they should be very popular. They will be Elapor based planes, aimed at the casual flyer. My speculation is that some of these models may be renamed Multiplex offerings packaged generally as RxR packages including brushless motor/esc/servos and in some cases a battery too. Certainly an attempt at reclaiming some of the territory that is dominated by Horizon offerings.

EDIT: Airframes are exclusive to Hitec

I jotted down everything known on these models so far... again this will be updated as soon as I hear more.

Extra 300S
47"
RxR with brushless motor
Intended to be a "pattern" style plane rather than 3-D
$189 retail

Boreus (spelling??)
powered glider
Package includes folding props
RxR (minus servos in this case)
will be available in two versions:
1.2m (~18oz)
1.5m (21oz)

E-Hawkeye
RC version of the currently available "chuck" glider!
RxR
2200kv motor
5x3 folding prop
~4oz
requires 400-500mah 2s pack

Zipper
Formula1 pylon style plane
RxR
24"
5oz
2500kv motor
4x3 prop
3s 400-500 mah battery

Skip to the 8:15 mark... nice pics and discussion of each

Weak Signals 2013 Hitec New Products (8 min 26 sec)

These were described in nice detail by Lucien Miller on the 4/9 episode of ATTF, starting around the 11 minute mark. I have included everything he mentioned but if you want to check it out for yourself, see links below:

http://www.allthingsthatfly.com/

Or try:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/insideheli...oledo_Show.mp3
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Last edited by MRGTX; Apr 29, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
So as for editorializing, I cannot wait to get my hands on a Zipper. That thing could be a real rocket with that power setup.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:16 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Pretty cool looking birds. Hopefully HiTec keeps the Mutiplex quality.

p.s. Mine was a 1970, 440/727/4:11 powered GTX. That was a beast of a car.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
The Zipper would be of interest to me for certain. Interesting that only one of the new offerings is in Elapor, the rest are EPO foam. While EPO is good it is not Elapor so I suspect that these EPO planes will have the same impact with terra firma issues as any of the other brands of EPO foam plane.

Still, they all look good and if the EPO decision leads to a lower price then that is all good also.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
The Zipper would be of interest to me for certain. Interesting that only one of the new offerings is in Elapor, the rest are EPO foam. While EPO is good it is not Elapor so I suspect that these EPO planes will have the same impact with terra firma issues as any of the other brands of EPO foam plane.

Still, they all look good and if the EPO decision leads to a lower price then that is all good also.
First of all:

Secondly, according to the information I have seen, they're all Elapor. Do you have a different source of information?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Pretty cool looking birds. Hopefully HiTec keeps the Mutiplex quality.

p.s. Mine was a 1970, 440/727/4:11 powered GTX. That was a beast of a car.
Cool car!!
There's a 1967 in my family. The GTX was my favorite car on the planet when I was a kid (really any of the styles from '67-'71)...I was a bit obsessed for a while. If you care to share a picture, it would be very welcome.

I think we have every reason to think that these Hitec models will be consistent with their sister brand in terms of quality... and honestly, as Multiplex is in flux at the moment, we don't really know what "MPX quality" will be like going forward. The new MPX Tucan for example, represents a departure for the brand (wooden structure, scale-ish unlicensed shape) though early reports are pretty good, time will tell.

There are a couple of forum members who will disagree tirelessly and pointlessly with anything a American says or thinks about Multiplex so I'll just stop there.
Old May 01, 2013, 01:53 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
I just spoke with Billy at Hitec, a friendly customer rep.

He confirmed that all of the models would be made out of Elapor.

No release date has been set, no press release materials had been assembled yet either...I gathered from our conversation that these models are fairly early on in their roll-out.

Billy said that he had only seen the Extra fly but he said that he was very impressed with the performance...though honestly, he does work for Hitec so the endorsement might not be objective.

I was going to call Shawn Spiker directly (his number is on their web page) but I felt more comfortable going through the usual customer service line. If anyone else wants to, please let us know what you learn.
Old May 02, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,620 Posts
the zipper looks sweet ,but the size just turned me off , they should had made it the same size as the dogfighter.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old May 03, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
the zipper looks sweet ,but the size just turned me off , they should had made it the same size as the dogfighter.
I think the idea is to make these models portable and accessible. The small size of the Zipper is clearly targeting a different kind of flying than the Dogfighter...otherwise it would be redundant. No?

If you dont have a Dogfighter yet...get off of your computer and get yourself to the LHS. It's an amazing model. No faults that I have found yet. Stock power system is superb too.
Old May 03, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
First of all:

Secondly, according to the information I have seen, they're all Elapor. Do you have a different source of information?
yes .. the woman in the video you posted stated that all but one of the Hitec Weekender offerings would be EPO, the remaining one is Elapor.
The e-hawkeye is Elapor offering.

Listen at the 6 min 58 sec mark.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Last edited by Obake; May 03, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
yes .. the woman in the video you posted stated that all but one of the Hitec Weekender offerings would be EPO, the remaining one is Elapor.
The e-hawkeye is Elapor offering.

Listen at the 6 min 58 sec mark.
Yeah...she was specific! The Hitec guy I spoke with said they were all Elapor when asked diectly so I guess the Jury is out.

Snobbery aside, Elapor is EPO. I think its pretty hilarious that someone would tirn their nose up at a model on the basis of the lack of a marketing term.
Old May 03, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,620 Posts
Quote:
I think the idea is to make these models portable and accessible. The small size of the Zipper is clearly targeting a different kind of flying than the Dogfighter...otherwise it would be redundant. No?

If you dont have a Dogfighter yet...get off of your computer and get yourself to the LHS. It's an amazing model. No faults that I have found yet. Stock power system is superb too.
i get the whole idea of what there targeting ,but it stil turns me off that its small
thanks for the advice but
i have a dogfighter . its one of my favorite planes. but then again every mutiplex plane "i have" winds up being one of my favorites . which is why. i would love to see this zipper the same size as the dogfighter .im a big fan of muliplex planes i have a few of them and im waiting on the tucan to be made available to purchase here in USA. rest assure its going to be modded to fly extremely fast . . .
Old May 06, 2013, 06:55 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
i get the whole idea of what there targeting ,but it stil turns me off that its small
thanks for the advice but
i have a dogfighter . its one of my favorite planes. but then again every mutiplex plane "i have" winds up being one of my favorites . which is why. i would love to see this zipper the same size as the dogfighter .im a big fan of muliplex planes i have a few of them and im waiting on the tucan to be made available to purchase here in USA. rest assure its going to be modded to fly extremely fast . . .
I do agree that the size of the Dogfighter makes it more appealing...and if I could only have one, it would certainly be the Dog.

Or, in an ideal world, it would be very cool to have two different looking models of the same size that could compete against eachother in spec racing...but it's pretty obvious that these would cannibalize sales from eachother and would make a difficult business model, assuming that the engineering for an airframe represents a sizable portion of the production costs.

That said, I'm psyched for the little Zipper. I expect to treat it like the small-venue version of the Dogfighter.
Old May 06, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,620 Posts
Quote:
I do agree that the size of the Dogfighter makes it more appealing...and if I could only have one, it would certainly be the Dog.

Or, in an ideal world, it would be very cool to have two different looking models of the same size that could compete against eachother in spec racing...but it's pretty obvious that these would cannibalize sales from eachother and would make a difficult business model, assuming that the engineering for an airframe represents a sizable portion of the production costs.

That said, I'm psyched for the little Zipper. I expect to treat it like the small-venue version of the Dogfighter. opcorn:
you got me thinking . there are two guys at the field i go to who have the small rarebears from HK . looks like i might have to get one of these to just to mess with them . gee thanks for making me more poor .
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Horizon has listings for these now with prices
So... they're coming soon?

Zipper:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...f-epo-HRC13605

Hawkeye:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-arf-HRC13607

Extra: