Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnaimless View Post
Nice. How soon till you have the 550 in stock?
Shipping of F550 will begin end of next week we were told.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,060 Posts
cool. any idea which US distributors will have it?
BayAreaCrasher is online now Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaLife View Post
cool. any idea which US distributors will have it?
Well we will I know that.

DJIUSA.com UAVproducts.com
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,060 Posts
of course
BayAreaCrasher is online now Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnaimless View Post
Can I order this gimbal right now and if so please advise on price and delivery time to the US. Thanks in advance for any info.
The F450 GoPro gimbal/nose-mount is just about ready-to-go, and it will be available first, ready for shipping in around two weeks. Price for this version will be $375. I'm just getting ready to test the first version of this slightly larger NEX/GH2 gimbal, with the integrated landing gear, that will mount on the F550 Hex. Pricing isn't final, but it should be around $500. There will also be a version that includes the GoPro yoke on the same F550 LG mount setup. Again, pricing isn't finalized but it should be around $475.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6696950 View Post
Gary do you no what the max size prop that will fit on this frame and good looking build Tom
Like the XA Hexa, the max prop size you can use on the F550 Hex is 10". Initially I will be using 3-bladed GWS 9x5x3s, which have about the same lift as 2-bladed 10x4s. When they are back in stock, I'll probably try the 10x5 Graupners as well. If I need more lift than that, I'll go with the GWS 10x6x3s, which should similar to using 11x5s.

-- Gary
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Apr 2003
300 Posts
rerazor, will they have the complete 550 package (motors,Esc,etc, except controller)?
Laddy McMurry is offline Find More Posts by Laddy McMurry
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddy McMurry View Post
rerazor, will they have the complete 550 package (motors,Esc,etc, except controller)?
Yes, I'm sure they will I have a order in for a bunch of the F550 RTF and F550 frame only kits. The F550 uses the same motors/esc/props as the F450.

I like the 8" props the best right now.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Do you have on board footage?
I will have more this weekend, but here is some from a recent test flight, using the pre-production gimbal and isolation setup:

F450 GoPro Gimbal Test-05.mp4 (2 min 26 sec)

After this flight, I tweaked the roll gimbal gains a bit more, to eliminate that last bit of movement, evident in the video for sudden changes. It was quite breezy, and this was with a Naza, so I had to fly it into the wind, to hold position. If my piloting skills were a bit better, I wouldn't have needed to yank it around so much.

Since this video was taken, Andrey made a few more tweaks to the design, and he included updated parts for my current gimbal that brings it up to the "production" configuration. I will be doing more test videos with these changes this weekend, along with new F550/LG/NEX setup.

The roll axis servo/belt drive mechanism, and the battery plate are common across all three variants. The difference between the GoPro and NEX/GH-2/550D versions is the yoke assembly. The difference between the F450 quad and F550 hex versions is that the latter includes an integrated set of landing gear.

-- Gary
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
I designed these to be fairly modular. The gimbal can be setup as nose or LG type pretty easily if you want to try different setup (adapter kit of 2 plate will be available for low price) Also, I will have pan assembly for just the gimbal, so you can turn it into a polecam. it can easily be adapted onto airplane or heli use as well. flexible design for various role. The LG will also have seprate Pan assembly that will bolt on as well.

The Nex5 gimbal also has 3 predrilled Roll pivot point, so you can change it to match different camera. it will come setup for Nex5 though.

anyway, lot of work went into this design. I am pretty happy with it though.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
Yes, I'm sure they will I have a order in for a bunch of the F550 RTF and F550 frame only kits. The F550 uses the same motors/esc/props as the F450.

I like the 8" props the best right now.
How much the F550 RTF kits gonna be?
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
How much the F550 RTF kits gonna be?
We don't have exact pricing yet. Hopefully after the weekend and the Chinese New Year.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
I designed these to be fairly modular. The gimbal can be setup as nose or LG type pretty easily if you want to try different setup (adapter kit of 2 plate will be available for low price) Also, I will have pan assembly for just the gimbal, so you can turn it into a polecam. it can easily be adapted onto airplane or heli use as well. flexible design for various role. The LG will also have seprate Pan assembly that will bolt on as well.

The Nex5 gimbal also has 3 predrilled Roll pivot point, so you can change it to match different camera. it will come setup for Nex5 though.

anyway, lot of work went into this design. I am pretty happy with it though.
Looks great, whenever it is available I would like to purchase
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
I finally got the gimbal and landing gear assembly complete, and installed on the DJI hex frame. Still needs a bit more setup work, and then it'll be ready for the first test flight, hopefully tomorrow.

I think the size and the robustness of the mount is a very good match for this DJI F550 hex, which itself is a lot sturdier, in my opinion, to the XA hexa, which I also have. We'll see how it does.

More later...

-- Gary
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I finally got the gimbal and landing gear assembly complete, and installed on the DJI hex frame. Still needs a bit more setup work, and then it'll be ready for the first test flight, hopefully tomorrow.

I think the size and the robustness of the mount is a very good match for this DJI F550 hex, which itself is a lot sturdier, in my opinion, to the XA hexa, which I also have. We'll see how it does.

More later...

-- Gary
that is the gopro version not the nex correct?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Closed Thread