Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:51 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,586 Posts
dont give up I lost my zephyr yesterday after hours of searching we eventually used a skywalker with a hd keychain cam to take some aerial footage and we found the plane straight away once we had reviewed the footage

this is the live feed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXIv5NEUHzA

this is the aerial footage which told us where the plane was

Looking for downed FPV Zephyr (7 min 23 sec)

My ground station battery went flat its very lucky I wasn't far or high as I have had some very testing flights recently.
MrBen. is online now Find More Posts by MrBen.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
Powered by 1.21 Jiggwatts!
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
I'm the pilot of the plane. Jeff Hendrix (also a licensed pilot) is the First Officer / Coffee Boy. *laughs*

I'm happy to help out! I'm an FPV pilot as well, and this is basically the worst-case scenario! I hope we can find it. I won't be able to fly at 400 feet seeing as how I can lose my license, but we will fly as low as I'm allowed.

I say bring the gopro to document Vitamin J's response if we find it (awesome user name, by the way)!
enthalpy is offline Find More Posts by enthalpy
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:26 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Excellent guys, this topic is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling all over, go find that plane, FPV pilots unite! <crowd cheering!>

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
Thanks for the offers to help look for the plane, guys, but I've already covered all the ground that it's possible to on foot.
Your definitely gonna need some boots on the ground either way IMO. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Quote:
Worst case scenario is I wait a few weeks
Looks like Kathy Sabine is forecasting rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Well yeah... have your buddies on the ground already when you fly over. Call them on a cell phone and talk them in.
That's exactly what I was thinking. There should be cell coverage in the area. Or use 2way radios as IBCrazy said.

Cheers
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Last edited by LokeyFPV; Jun 10, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:56 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Search attempt was successful! At least we think so. Jeff and I both think we spotted my Floater or at least it was something that had the distinctive wings!

Here's some footage. My footage of the actual search turned out bad because of too much zoom but we went for a joyride after:

FPV Crash - Cessna Search and Rescue Mission (2 min 9 sec)

FPV Search and Rescue - Cessna landing (0 min 31 sec)
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:37 AM
Broomfield, CO
Joined Dec 2004
54 Posts
Search and Rescue (well maybe just search)

So Jimmy met Damon and I at the airport.
Name: rescue plane.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 115.4 KB
Description: Search and Rescue airplane
(search and rescue plane)

After a quick preflight and a long taxi (we had to take off on 11L due to wind) we were in the air.

10 minutes later we over tabletop mountain making our first run. We flew by and saw nothing.
We then made a pass going the other way coming over the mountain
(almost the same path that the FPV plane took, without the corkscrew at the end) and still nothing.
With our hopes starting to get down, we went around for another pass.
We had completely passed the area and I looked back and ... what's that ...
Name: plane1.jpg
Views: 110
Size: 51.5 KB
Description: What's that?

lets do another pass.
looking ... looking ... there
Name: plane2.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 49.5 KB
Description: another pass Name: plane3.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 47.2 KB
Description: looks kind of like a plane Name: plane4.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 34.7 KB
Description: Name: plane5.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 48.4 KB
Description: Name: plane6.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 19.0 KB
Description:

Lets do a head on pass just to make sure we know we got it in a picture
Name: plane7.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 32.2 KB
Description: Name: plane8.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 29.5 KB
Description:

That has got to be it (in the shape of a plane and somewhere hard to spot from the ground.
Name: happyfpv.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 91.6 KB
Description: Happy FPVer
Happy FPVer
Name: happyflightcrew.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 95.3 KB
Description: Happy flight crew
and Happy flight crew

But that was not the end of the day. On the way back to the airport, the ATIS said the airport would be closed starting at 8:00PM.
When we landed, we saw a bunch of cool old planes and some type of party going on.
We went over to investigate and saw a Mig 15, a T33, and a bunch of other old cool aircraft. We also saw a jet powered sailplane with fireworks attached all over it, a Beach 18 with lights mounted all over it (and I mean all over it), and there was either a su-26 or su-29 with lights on it.
We asked and someone told us there was going to be a private night airshow for Pilatus owners (well I hope to own one someday, so count us in).
So Damon and I ate at the airport grill and watched our first ever night airshow. Making an awesome ending to a great day (except for the going to work part).

Jeff
jhendrix is offline Find More Posts by jhendrix
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:59 AM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Good work guys.
That looks like it should be it. VitaminJ how far off your initial search area was it? Is it accessible? If you can take a picture of it in its crashed position. Good luck in the recovery mission.

J and enthalpy you are some stand up guys! Way to go pilots.

Cheers
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:32 AM
out of focus
New Zealand, Gisborne, Gisborne District
Joined Jul 2009
168 Posts
is that an inverted V antenna on the tail of the cesna?

Good spotting guys and I hope you get to retreive it asap!
Garbach is offline Find More Posts by Garbach
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:56 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Heroic effort guys, congrats! Now go get that plane!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:48 AM
Out of the way, Peck!
United States, AR, Arkadelphia
Joined Mar 2010
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaZ View Post
I really hope you find your plane. I have seem some post of people who lost their plane, and I wonder, in the region where you usually fly, do you have GSM coverage?
Because if so, you could put one of these GPS trackers on your airplane.

I have it on my skywalker, vtx on a wingtip, this gps tracker on the other. +5gr on the vtx side and the wing is perfectly balanced. If I loose the plane, I just need to make a call to GPS tracker. It then rejects my call and sends me an sms with the actual coordinates. Already lost it, and found it in minutes with that tracker.

Cheers,
Vaz.
Searched for something similar on the internet, found it here for $60-ish...
http://www.sourcinggate.com/gsm-gprs...e-p-11691.html

Personally i would be afraid to put a GPS-SMS device on my plane for an emergency locator...how often do i see you guys flying in places where cell coverage is sporadic or non-existent? Wouldn't a simple, long-lasting radio beacon be better? Granted, it doesn't give the exact GPS coordinates, only "thataway", but it doesn't rely on civilization to work.

This one operates in the 70cm Ham band (440mhz)...
http://www.bigredbee.com/zc139/index...roducts_id=180

Since i don't own a scanner or a 440mhz radio, i'm going to build this Tx that will "beep" in the 2-meter ham band (144mhz). I've got radios for that, and a Pringles can slid over my antenna will make it directional. $20 in parts?
http://electroschematics.com/470/foxhunt-transmitter/

It has always astounded me how people on the 4WD forums i visit (I own a Toyota 4x4 repair shop) complain about thier heavily-modified truck ($$$) getting stolen, but they didn't bother to install a $50 alarm system. Or people on here worried about the $1000 of electronics that is in thier crashed/ lost RC plane (no offense intended). I am anxious to build and fly my first FPV plane, but i am waiting on more/ better parts to arrive first. My budget is tight, it's taken me a year to buy $870 in parts. I need that radio beacon. I cannot afford to fly without it.

Hope these links help.
KC9PZN
Oddmar is offline Find More Posts by Oddmar
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:02 AM