HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:42 PM
aka Zeal or Bubbles
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
Question
Are There Multi-Decked Flying Wings?!

As the topic says, Are there Multi-decked Flying Wings?

What do I mean? Well throughout history there have been aviators who have designed aircraft with more than one wing, for example; we've seen bi-planes and triplanes which are the more common aircraft designs but there have been other aircraft experiments with more than three wings... in one documentary I read about a plane with 10 WINGS... ten! While it looked ridiculous, it still flew. Now I did a quick search for Flying Wings with more than one wing but I didn't find any hits, none! So I'm wondering if there have been previous experiments or successful attempts with Flying Wings having more than one wing.

I'm asking this because I saw an anime called Yukikaze a few years back and while there are a few interesting fighter jets in the series, one aircraft in particular caught my eye! It was the AAC Banshee (Airborne Aircraft Carrier)! This enormous three decked flying wing was cruising through the air and is capable of carrying mid to small sized aircraft, storing and launching them from it's flight deck as well as ferrying all personal from the main base! Minus the crew and personal, I wonder if it's possible to create an airborne aircraft carrier like the Banshee for FPV aircraft to dock, recharge and re-engage in flight. Of course it'll be big, and slow but think of how awesome something like that at a flying field would be. To stay in the air for 30 minutes, an hour or MORE, who doesn't want to fly more for longer times!?!

I already have a couple idea's that could work but first, I gotta learn to fly! LOL
CarbonVanilla is offline Find More Posts by CarbonVanilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,772 Posts
Welcome aboard RC Groups CarbonVanilla!

Quote:
Are there Multi-decked Flying Wings?
Yes, they're called biplanes. Here's a couple, one model and the other full scale.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=9
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=11

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/...lyingWing.html
http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft25870.htm

Quote:
I already have a couple idea's that could work but first, I gotta learn to fly! LOL
If you're a complete novice to RC planes, I'd suggest a conventional configured model for training, as they're easier to setup and fly than a flying wing planform aircraft.

Good Luck!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Last edited by DT56; Mar 22, 2015 at 03:04 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:50 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,525 Posts
It depends on your definition of "flying wing".

One definition, the one Wikipedia uses, is that a flying wing is an aircraft that's just a wing. More technically an aircraft where the engine, cockpit and all control mechanisms are embedded completely in the wing. Ironically, by this definition, one of the first flying wings actually had a tail with horizontal and vertical stabilizers.

The more common definition of a flying wing, one that most people who like and fly flying wings use, is an aircraft without a tail. More technically without a horizontal stabilizer. Vertical stabilizers/fins are sometimes accepted as necessary evil for stability. The first group of people above who disagree with this definition call these types of aircraft "tailless".

I'm of the view that "tailless" = "flying wing" because that's the term I grew up with reading in popular science and aviation magazines.

So if you agree with my definition. The first flying wing aircraft to fly was a biplane. The Dunne D.5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunne_D.5

Dunne designed lots of aircraft. All of them flying wings. There were even a couple monoplanes such as the Dunne D.6

The Dunne D.5 first flew in 1910. Just 7 years after the Wright brothers first flight.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:27 AM
aka Zeal or Bubbles
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
one of the first flying wings actually had a tail with horizontal and vertical stabilizers.
By using Wikipedia's definition of a flying wing, I wouldn't place the aircraft you described in the same category because it does not follow the same principals defined by Wikipedia or by your understandings as a "tailless" aircraft. Also, I've been brushing up on experimental wing designs outside this forum, however, most of these aviators had built a fuselage on top of their airfoils. By using another definition from Wikipedia that defines a wing...
"A flying wing is a tailless fixed-wing aircraft that has no definite fuselage with most of the crew, payload, and equipment being housed inside the main wing structure.[1] A flying wing may have various small protuberances such as pods, nacelles, blisters, booms, vertical stabilizers (tail fins), or undercarriage. Some aircraft have no fuselage but do have a separate horizontal stabilizer surface mounted on one or more booms; these are also commonly referred to as flying wings, although this is not strictly correct. An example of such a design is the Northrop X-216H.[2]"
A good example of a concept flying wing with additional horizontal stabilizers would be Armored Core: For Answer's Cradles

The Dunne D.5, is a wonderful example but because it uses a fuselage; I'm not as interested in its design. I'm more interested in wing designs where the payload and equipment can be stored inside the main structure. Like the example I linked above of AC's Cradle System; while it is an extreme build the concept is possible and it's one of a handful of designs from other video games and movies I would like to attempt to build...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:57 AM
aka Zeal or Bubbles
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56 View Post
Welcome aboard RC Groups CarbonVanilla!
I'm sorry for the late reply but thank you for welcoming me to the website as well as the thoughtful advice! The designs you posted are interesting and I thank you for sharing your findings with me! But I'm looking for radical designs that can carry payloads and equipment inside the wing structure. I've attached a few examples from video games as well as movies below.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:55 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,909 Posts
Quadruplane Hang Glider (2 min 46 sec)
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:23 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,513 Posts