SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2015, 11:00 AM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Jan 2015
18 Posts
Discussion
Help choosing a decent helicopter

I would like to ask everyoneís opinion on help choosing a new RC Helicopter. I'm a semi-experienced RC Plane pilot and have also owned RC cars and boats. I've flown the little Sky Hog helicopters for a while and have since moved up to and flown (my son's Xmas present) coaxial copter.

I have researched the dickens out of moving up to something bigger and I am quite honestly torn between several models/features. I came across your website and was really impressed with its contents so I thought I'd give a shot at asking for help out here Ė Iíve read some older posts but with the new models out there Iím starting a new thread.

I have read and know about the difference between a fixed pitch and the CP copters. I'm (financial constraints) looking in the "200" size. I lean towards a fixed pitch but don't want to get stuck with it and its limited capabilities below the CP kind. I also want to get a RTF with a radio included so I start right out with a complete package.

However researching them all has about made my head explode. So I'm hoping to seek some experienced advice! So, from my endless research and reading and comparing I've come up with the following list:

1) Walkera HM Master CP (Flybarless, upper end of my $ range, included radio seems very nice, separate tail motor, however lots of plastic parts and a brushed main motor are detractors and its CP which obviously requires more skill but its touted for beginners Ė Iím just not sure how much to believe the marketing).

2) Blade 200 SRX (Flybarless, extreme upper end of $ range, decent radio, separate tail motor and both it and main are brushless, however its fixed pitch and Iíve read some forums with people listing quality problems. However this one I can get from a US based firm).

3) Nine Eagles 228P (Flybar model, lower $, radio seems pretty basic without any means of adjustment, fixed pitch, brushed motors however it does have a separate tail motor thatís shaft driven, Bell Rotor head that seems pretty bullet proof).

4) WL V912 "MAX" Mini Helicopter (Brushless Motor Edition): This one keeps tickling my fancy except I keep wavering at its fixed pitch; (itís also a flybar model but itís got a Bell head, both motors are upgraded brushless, itís actually lower on the $ scale which is appealing and the radio seems decent).

Those are my top four. I have also eyeballed a Dynam E-razor 250 Carbon Edition, an Exceed MadHawk 300 as well as an Esky Honey Bee and Double Horse models but they are hard to find and I canít find much to read about them.

So, thatís my story Ė Iím hoping this isnít too long or too much to digest and someone out there would find some time to be able to respond and give me some much needed advice.
Thanks.
hufflehill is offline Find More Posts by hufflehill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2015, 03:21 PM
Joined Mar 2013
61 Posts
My opinion

[QUOTE=hufflehill;30356843]I would like to ask everyoneís opinion on help choosing a new RC Helicopter. I'm a semi-experienced RC Plane pilot and have also owned RC cars and boats. I've flown the little Sky Hog helicopters for a while and have since moved up to and flown (my son's Xmas present) coaxial copter

4) WL V912 "MAX" Mini Helicopter (Brushless Motor Edition): This one keeps tickling my fancy except I keep wavering at its fixed pitch; (itís also a flybar model but itís got a Bell head, both motors are upgraded brushless, itís actually lower on the $ scale which is appealing and the radio seems decent).
This is only my opinion, everyone has a different one. I love my two V912's, I know they are no good in the wind, and the flybar is now old hat, BUT you can crash the hell out of it, it just comes back for more, and the parts are a stupid price. With a few mods, it can be made to fly really well. The TX will also control the V911, so you could order a BNF, five batteries and a charger, then on those windy days, thrash it round the lounge or brush up on your orientation skills. Your son would be able to fly the 911, again, nearly unbreakable. For the price of these two, a lot of fun to be had, then maybe on to the Master CP. Happy flying, Steve.
itsboss is offline Find More Posts by itsboss
Old Jan 02, 2015, 05:55 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,524 Posts
you might want to check another one that is more along the lower spectrum of your price range, the FX071C.
I would highly recommend taking a look at the dedicated FX071C thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2183624

I dont have one myself, but it seems rather popular among RCG members. Also, it is flybarless and has the reputation of pretty much outflying the V912.

The "downside" is that FX is a "smaller" manufacturer, and their range of models is not as broad as some other companies offer (in particular, the do not offer anything to step up to CP ... yet(?) ...)
Also, you would be set on a TX that does not work for anything "outside" the FX range of products (but there seem to be people working on getting this to run with DeviationTX, which is a protocol for the Walkera Devo transmitters, that opens you the door to a almost universal transmitter.

However, thanks to the comparably lower price, you will have some funds for spare parts or upgrades ... or to set aside for when you want to step up from the FP to CP ...

Anyway, just suggesting, take a look at this one, personally I think it is a decent additional option (which I might have taken if it had been around earlier)

one more thing, to get "old" helis now (like the honey bee), may not be such a good idea for just starting out.
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ONE "dream" left ...
Old Jan 04, 2015, 08:49 AM
Joined Jan 2015
18 Posts
Thanks everyone - keep it coming - I'm still reading and researching.

itsboss: yea the v912 keeps ending up at the top of my list. I've eliminated the Nine Eagles.

erdnuckel2: I will look into that one.
Old Jan 05, 2015, 06:02 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
1,059 Posts
I have been flying the v912 for over 2 years, it was my first outdoor heli I learned to fly.. the punishment I put it through was unbelievable.. its still flying..

however if wanting to go fly barless with a 6 axis gyro, the simiar sized feilun fx071c would be a very good choice.. although not quite as tough as the v912 and requiring a little more finesse..

http://www.banggood.com/FX071C-4CH-S...-p-930806.html
mihcmac is offline Find More Posts by mihcmac
Last edited by mihcmac; Jan 06, 2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:09 AM
Joined Jan 2015
18 Posts
So, I thought I'd give everyone an update on my umm..situation. To try and quell the "bug" while I continue to have internal debates on my next step up helicopter I purchased a Syma F3 4-channel helicopter set-up from Amazon (the thing was only like $30). What a fantastic, neat, nice flying machine! It is very well thought out and built and flies very nicely even in some wind (with the controls set to high). It even took a high speed turn high into a tree during the learning curve with only a cracked landing gear (a replacement is on order from Banggood).

So, now onto the meat of my original post. I am STILL yet to pull the trigger on the purchase of the next step up. I am amazed at the sheer number of different models and manufacturers out there. I have continued to drool over all manner of machines, however, I still come back to the WL V912 brushless, the Blade 200SRX and the Walkera Master CP as the top three.

Now that I have the F3 (which I am flying almost daily on the two batteries I have - waiting on more from Banggood) I am wondering if the WL V912 might get "boring" after awhile. That being said, it looks like a tank and from everything I've read it handles real nice. It doesn't seem as "clean" on the inside; I've noticed that the ESC isn't covered and is just zip-tied to the battery. (FYI I'm a bit OCD and like everything - including my models neat and organized).
The Blade 200SRX seems like it would be the next logical step-up for me, has nice, clean lines and while flybarless, being fixed pitch doesn't seem as sporty. It is also totally brushless which is really a selling point. However, I'm still hung up on how expensive it is (compared to others) and the amount of bad reviews it seems to have gotten (yeah, I know, take internet reviews with a grain of salt sometimes). The Master CP is certainly the most advanced (being CP obviously) but its reviewed as being "beginner friendly". I obviously don't want to get a model that gets me in over my head, but its again, nice and clean and I really dig the transmitter.

SOOO, first off, thanks everyone thats taken the time to post on my threads with all their first-hand knowledge. Please keep it up, I read on here every week! Also, if there is anyone out there that has one of the three models I keep looking at and is willing to share their experiences with me I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks as always,
Greg.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:18 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,524 Posts
"beginner friendly" in "marketing material" is [b]a dish best served cold ...[/i] wait, that was a different story.

No, but serious, to designate a heli like the Master CP "beginner friendly" is nothing but marketing and to consider with a fair amount of suspicion ...

jus' sayin'
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ONE "dream" left ...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:18 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,410 Posts
The term beginner can be rather subjective.
Most think of it as meaning a beginner to this hobby with no prior experience and it is mostly used that way.
In the case of the Master CP, it is a beginner's cp heli, meaning no (or minimal) experience with cp, but having some level of exposure to other types, be they coax, fp or quad.
It is a robust machine, but has one major flaw, the servos. They are just not up to the task. Replacing them with the metal gear version costs another ~$40.
Apart from that, it's good, even though it has brushed motors. It can also be set up as a fixed pitch if wanted, gradually changing the set up as confidence is gained.
The v912 is popular, but there are things that I don't like about it.
It has that dreadful oversize flybar and it tends to have the control feeling of a school bus.
There are the usual things that can be modified/tweaked to improve it, which is fine you really want to do those things and spend more on it.
I don't have a 912, so my comments are based on the research I've done on it since it was released.
The Blade 200SR X is rather expensive for what it is and has/had too many issues for my taste. Even though it has some interesting features, it hasn't all been implemented as it should be.
Regarding the radios that come with the rtf versions of those three, the Walkera has the edge over the others. But by how much depends on which Devo radio is selected.
The Devo 10 is the better option of the lower cost bundles (7, 7E, 10).
Anyway, that's my brief input on the subject, hope it's of some use.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:22 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NC, Walkertown
Joined Dec 2014
28 Posts
Hey Greg,

relatively new to the flying game myslef here. I debated picking up that Syma f3, but eventually went with the V911. Sounds like the F3 is a good buy though, so I'll be picking one up. I have a v912, but I'm so bad at flying the v911 that I'm afraid to unbox the V912. Most of my experience is in the 3 channel world, just recently switching to a 4-chan. I think my quadcopter is easier to fly than trying to relearn to fly the 4-channel. The V911 has taken a beating, so I assume the V912 could as well. I can't say I looked into the other brands as much having already purchased a WLToys product I was happy with. Syma is always good in my opinion, albeit a new one; I own plenty from Syma. Happy flying Greg!
clawrence86 is offline Find More Posts by clawrence86
Old Feb 01, 2015, 03:03 PM
Joined Jan 2015
18 Posts
So I've discovered an interesting thing about the Syma F3; something that I didnt really realize until after I purchased and received a WL Toys V911. I purchased said V911 as a 2nd/interim small helicopter after the F3 took a tall tree in the backyard during a wind gust and the motor stripped and I had to wait for a replacement motor.
As I didnt know any different, upon un-boxing and test of the V911 I discovered that the rudder control was on the right stick and the pitch was on the left. This happens to be the opposite of how the F3 is set up and what I've been flying. I discovered after research (of the Blade 200SRX manual I've been reading over) that the V911 is set correct or so I think?
I know there's no "real" correct way - but what is the majority? Should the rudder be left/right stick set up?
(I did discover through reading through some reviews on Amazon that to change the F3 mode is very simple - push and hold the right stick trim tab while powering on the transmitter).
Old Feb 03, 2015, 06:56 AM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
1,088 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183891

Essentially given you're in America you want a mode 2 radio.

And anyone else anywhere else in the world, mode 2 just makes more sense, imo ; )

Beware cheap mall copter radios and odd stick layouts - I believe in most cases, if you order a WL Toys you can choose the radio mode, so when ordering stuff like this, be sure and double check that you can, lest you get landed with some inconvenient stick layout.

FYI, the last WL Toys I got (977 brushless) came with a radio that could swap modes in a flash. I thought that was a rather neat idea, but for the fact the build quality was less than stellar.
spykez is offline Find More Posts by spykez
Old Feb 14, 2015, 05:59 PM
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
253 Posts
I have the F3. When Syma refers to mode 1 and mode 2, they are just saying it has two modes and they are 1 and 2. Their mode designations do not refer to standard radio modes. What they refer to as mode 1 on the transmitter is actually what we refer to here in the U.S. as mode 2. When you get the heli it most likely will be defaulted to their mode 2 which is backwards to us here in the U.S. Change it to mode 1 and away you go.
jimw1956 is offline Find More Posts by jimw1956