HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:36 PM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinetester View Post
First, thank you again for your help and for sharing the file!I really appreciate your generous assistance.

Clearly I asked that question about the trapezoid without looking at the model . O.k. got it up and everything installed. Remaining question about the throttle. It appears to be all or nothing and only available in launch mode. When I flip SF up I got full throttle no matter where the sick is located in the travel. Is that correct?
Yes, most guys who fly electric sailplanes, especially in competitions, put the throttle on a switch. You really only use the throttle to get up to a set height and then turn it off. Then you look for thermals to keep you up. That is why the left stick is set to be all the way forward when the flaps are up, and all the way down when flaps are down. Forward - flaps up is "full power" and down - flaps down is "power off". When you are coming in for a precision landing you want full range of control on the flaps because you are modulating them all the way in. Not just on or off. The throttle doesn't need to be modulated.

Hopefully you figured out the left stick is all the way forward in cruise mode, I forgot to mention it because I am so used to it being that way on all my planes. Also the throttle should operate in any flight mode as long as the throttle cut is off. You want the throttle to be always available to get you out of trouble if needed. If it doesn't work in all flight modes I made a mistake somewhere!

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:38 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
What do you mean by worn out? Too many dings and little repairs here and there?
I slope soar it and I have out FPV on it. Just want another just to setup in a standard config
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:20 AM
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Apr 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
Yes, most guys who fly electric sailplanes, especially in competitions, put the throttle on a switch. You really only use the throttle to get up to a set height and then turn it off. Then you look for thermals to keep you up. That is why the left stick is set to be all the way forward when the flaps are up, and all the way down when flaps are down. Forward - flaps up is "full power" and down - flaps down is "power off". When you are coming in for a precision landing you want full range of control on the flaps because you are modulating them all the way in. Not just on or off. The throttle doesn't need to be modulated.

Hopefully you figured out the left stick is all the way forward in cruise mode, I forgot to mention it because I am so used to it being that way on all my planes. Also the throttle should operate in any flight mode as long as the throttle cut is off. You want the throttle to be always available to get you out of trouble if needed. If it doesn't work in all flight modes I made a mistake somewhere!

Tom
Thank you so much again for your help. I took her out for the maiden Saturday afternoon. Took a little getting used to for the throttle but she's a gentle graceful bird and was very forgiving of my tendency to loose lots of altitude at a moments notice. Is there any recommended videos, literature or tutorials on becoming a better thermal pilot? I'd love to do some door soaring but don't think that's in the cards right now due to our local geography...flat as...Well really flat.
Turbinetester is offline Find More Posts by Turbinetester
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:11 AM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinetester View Post
Thank you so much again for your help. I took her out for the maiden Saturday afternoon. Took a little getting used to for the throttle but she's a gentle graceful bird and was very forgiving of my tendency to loose lots of altitude at a moments notice. Is there any recommended videos, literature or tutorials on becoming a better thermal pilot? I'd love to do some door soaring but don't think that's in the cards right now due to our local geography...flat as...Well really flat.
You will probably learn more from other sailplane pilots about thermaling than you could on your own. I did. In my experience sailplane pilots are very welcoming to newcomers and more than happy to help. There is a forum for Atlanta area RC activities here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/atlanta-area-rc-158/

You might look through that and see if there are other pilots in your area. If not or you want to learn on your own, just keep at it. Recognizing and exploiting thermals is a skill unto itself. there was a quote I believe I read on here that goes

"Once you know how to drive a power plane around the sky, the challenge is over. Once you know how to drive a glider around the sky, the challenge begins."

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2