SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Dec 2003
418 Posts
Discussion
Would I have done any lasting damage by breaking-in my Savage XL with 12%Nitro 22% Sy

A Year ago my model shop owner only had Magnum Heli fuel I was reluctant to buy at first for my new truck but the owner said it would probably be better for break-in.

I broke in my Savage XL carefully following every rule in the book fastidiously, hairdryer temperature gun stop watch the works. In addition towards the end of half a gallon if this heli fuel I would stop gunning it if my pre-configured Spektrum temperature alarm went off from the telemetry module. The only thing I didn't do was use the recommended fuel which is 20% Nitro 12% mixed Castor/Synthetic. Instead I used only 12% Nitro and 22% Synthetic and only.

I would value your opinion guys on what lasting effects this may have had if any? Don't sugar coat it for me feel free to be negative, from what I have read subsequently the guy in the shop was talking b0ll0cks

Thanks in advance for your advice
wildstallion is offline Find More Posts by wildstallion
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:22 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,439 Posts
You will be fine You may have to readjust the high speed needle when you get 20% nitro fuel. The main thing your doing is letting the piston and sleeve wear in together The oil content is more important then the nitro content. You could run three tanks of new 20% fuel through the engine again at the rich setting. I have an older bottle of 10% plane fuel I have been using because I'm to cheap to throw it out.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Apr 05, 2013, 05:31 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,758 Posts
....the recommended fuel which is 20% Nitro 12% mixed Castor/Synthetic. Instead I used only 12% Nitro and 22% Synthetic and only....

You used almost twice the oil in your mix, 22% vs 12%, but yours had no castor. If you didn't go extra lean, the syn. oil should have been more than fine.

I can't see where "more oil" would be a problem. In fact, I almost always add an extra 4 oz of castor/ gal jug. The only negative about castor is the dark burnt residue colour, which is not a problem for me.

And, there are a lot of fuels that do not even use Castor.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R